Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No digital connection with Focusrite Scarlett
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popmann

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not doing ASIO because ASIO doesn't allow for aggregate devices, no? Steinberg doesn't...and they came up with it...so, if it does, it's been ratcheted on by other implementations...or the aggregation comes from other formats (like coreAudio or DirectSound) on TOP of ASIO.

Anyway...to the OP--your solution is simple--PLUG IN ANALOG...digital, schmidgital. A serial transfer is not bit accurate. You want to record what you hear? Record the output you hear. Digital interlinked systems, IME, all work smoother and better on their own internal clock. Get some decent cables...plug it in...hit record. Never worry about (clock)sync and format conversion again.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Re Sonar:

Sonar X1 - Edit - Preference - Playback & Recording :
Driver Mode: The default is WDM/KS. Korg recommends that you select MME instead.

Hi Dan, will this also be true for OS 1.5 and the editor?

Yes.

- Dan

MME looks like quite a funny proposition for using an audio card for recording in a 21st century Windows OS. If Korg seriously proposes this as solution, are they aware of the resulting latency issues? I know of exactly ZERO use of MME in any serious Windows recording context since many years.

So if I can't use the Kronos audio card at all (and I hardly can that way), can I use my professional soundcard(s) with the plugin instead?
popmann

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my last post. ASIO doesn't actually do a much better job at the realtime transfer of audio--it more about the nice handling of direct monitoring and the under the hood disk streaming of multiple tracks-binding that all into a single "audio engine".

Using the OSs programming API means you should be able to have their editor open while using a DAW with ASIO.

I'm not sure how this will effect cubase under windows ability to use the audio-I've not had any cause to try it like I have with coreaudio.

While I do love the idea of it being fully integrated, I'm not willing to give up my actual audio interface to the computer in order to do it. Didn't they mention it running a plug in GUI? that should use the MIDI (or USB midi) to control the hardware...that would be a nice feature...more important to me than the audio tie into the DAW.

But, that's why...ASIO doesn't really support aggregate devices...and I'd venture that 95% of people with a DAW already have an audio device configured for it. OS level support means at least there potential in getting it to work withthe existing device.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No digital connection with Focusrite Scarlett Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I have no idea why I don't get the SPDIF out of my Kronos working with my Scarlett 18i6 audio interface optical in.

The Kronos digital out is connected via Toslink optical cable to the optical input of the Scarlett. The Kronos sync is set to internal clock. The Scarlett Mix control is set to 48 Khz and SPDIF connection, but still fails to sync and receive audio from the Kronos.
Anybody got a possible clue?

Yes, ADAT is not SPDIF but:
Some audio interfaces allow you to utilize the Adat optical as spdif optical. I know in my Ensemble, in the Maestro software there is a switch which makes the conversion.
I do know that this can be done on some Motu products as well. Have you checked for this feature in your Scarlet?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint, Lou.

I thought so too, and even the German Focusrite support assumed that for a moment, before checking and finding out that the Scarlett doesn't recognize SPDIF on the optical in. It's no big deal: the Kronos analog out signal ist still first class despite DAC involved; I just would have preferred a direct digital connection to exclude any conversion.

What bothers me much more is the ability to have the future Kronos plugin running at Asio latency within my DAW. I don't need the Kronos audio card connection for that, as long as the plugin works with my Focusrite (or any other Asio) soundcard for audio streaming.

Dan or anyone from Korg, could you please clarify? It is important that the plugin is not bound to use with the Kronos sound card exclusively, via MME: that's just no suitable connection, as far as I can tell.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Thanks for the hint, Lou.

. I don't need the Kronos audio card connection for that, as long as the plugin works with my Focusrite (or any other Asio) soundcard for audio streaming.

Dan or anyone from Korg, could you please clarify? It is important that the plugin is not bound to use with the Kronos sound card exclusively

I don't think you will have any problem using analog and the Asio with the Kronos plug.. The analog connection is superb and possibly a little warmer than SPDIF optical..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: