Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No digital connection with Focusrite Scarlett
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: No digital connection with Focusrite Scarlett Reply with quote

I have no idea why I don't get the SPDIF out of my Kronos working with my Scarlett 18i6 audio interface optical in.

The Kronos digital out is connected via Toslink optical cable to the optical input of the Scarlett. The Kronos sync is set to internal clock. The Scarlett Mix control is set to 48 Khz and SPDIF connection, but still fails to sync and receive audio from the Kronos.

I simply run out of ideas what might be the problem. I emailed Focusrite with the same question. Anybody got a possible clue?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the Scarlett uses RCA SPDIF and optical for ADAT (on the 18i60 model).

ADAT is always optical. SPDIF can be either RCA or Optical. the two optical formats are not inter-compatible though.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, XTrade!

I thought both digital ins had SPDIF, but in fact the optical in has ADAT format. Looks like I need a digital converter, or wait for the Kronos plugin end of November to use USB.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it means adding another box, but there's plenty of SPDIF to RCA/RCA to SPDIF converters out there. I'm using an M-Audio CO2 converter (admittedly with my Fantom, but also works fine with the Kronos). Amazon sells similar converters, but much cheaper if money's tight.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of those cheap unbranded optical to coax SPDIF converters Kronik mentioned and they are indeed cheap to buy ($20 kind of price) and on the few occasions I've needed to use them they've worked just fine. I keep a couple in the studio cupboard "just in case".
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Thanks, XTrade!

I thought both digital ins had SPDIF, but in fact the optical in has ADAT format. Looks like I need a digital converter, or wait for the Kronos plugin end of November to use USB.

Just a note - you can use the USB audio connection already, as long as your DAW supports aggregate devices.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint, Dan, and to you others.

As far as I see, I only get a directX connection with the present Kronos USB driver in Win7. Or do I overlook something?

I ran into another problem I should mention, because you could/should perhaps pass it to the development team:

- I had installed the Kronos USB driver and was using the USB connection just for midi (Kronos to Win7/64 notebook).
- Then I installed an update for my DAW, Sonar X1 Producer.
- Recording audio suddenly introduced crackles I hadn't had before. I thought it was the Sonar update and went nuts bug hunting, driver, latency and buffer size checking, uninstalling and reinstalling
- after all efforts failed I tried to remember all changes after my system still worked (not too many on a dedicated music notebook) and the Korg USB driver install came to mind
- I unplugged the Kronos USB connection and everything went back to normal. I'm using the Edirol UM-1 (basic midi to USB) cable now to connect Kronos midi via the normal midi in/outs. But I hope that the driver will be updated to Asio and/or WDM and will work ok with the coming plugin software.

In one word: the present USB midi driver seemed to introduce audio crackles into my DAWs audio recording. I have no idea about the kind of interaction which caused this, but my suspicion is, that besides the midi driver, the audio stream might have been active in some weird way.

For the moment, a cheap ADAT/SPDIF converter will do. I already ordered one.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Thanks for the hint, Dan, and to you others.

As far as I see, I only get a directX connection with the present Kronos USB driver in Win7. Or do I overlook something?

I ran into another problem I should mention, because you could/should perhaps pass it to the development team:

- I had installed the Kronos USB driver and was using the USB connection just for midi (Kronos to Win7/64 notebook).
- Then I installed an update for my DAW, Sonar X1 Producer.
- Recording audio suddenly introduced crackles I hadn't had before. I thought it was the Sonar update and went nuts bug hunting, driver, latency and buffer size checking, uninstalling and reinstalling
- after all efforts failed I tried to remember all changes after my system still worked (not too many on a dedicated music notebook) and the Korg USB driver install came to mind
- I unplugged the Kronos USB connection and everything went back to normal. I'm using the Edirol UM-1 (basic midi to USB) cable now to connect Kronos midi via the normal midi in/outs. But I hope that the driver will be updated to Asio and/or WDM and will work ok with the coming plugin software.

In one word: the present USB midi driver seemed to introduce audio crackles into my DAWs audio recording. I have no idea about the kind of interaction which caused this, but my suspicion is, that besides the midi driver, the audio stream might have been active in some weird way.

For the moment, a cheap ADAT/SPDIF converter will do. I already ordered one.

I'm sorry for the difficulties. I'll pass this on to the group who works on the drivers.

As far as I know, there are no plans to add an official ASIO driver. You might try ASIO4ALL:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Asio driver???

That sounds really strange. I know Asio4all, but it only does a good guess on timing and is no full replacement for Asio drivers. It is mainly used for cheap onboard cards.

DirectX is no satisfying alternative as well. If no Asio drivers are provided - which would kick the Kronos connection out of what is considered the professional standard for all serious Windows systems sound cards - WDM drivers would be the very least which is needed.

I don't want to grumble, but I'm seriously concerned now.
Are you absolutely sure?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too find this more than a little shocking.
ASIO is essential for professional recording in a Windows environment.

There is this awful tendancy for a few companies to drop developing their own driver, pointing users towards ASIO4ALL instead for their USB-Audio products. Behringer is a good example.

ASIO is not a suitable alternative for a professional recording environment.

I guess you could argue that a professional recording environment may have the facilities to connect SPDIF or may just prefer to use analog anyway... But that is just defering the work to another manufacturer's product - imagine if all the companies did this!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
Thanks, XTrade!

Just a note - you can use the USB audio connection already, as long as your DAW supports aggregate devices.

- Dan

Hey dan, Im running logic 9 under snow leopard and I have a problem and hopefully you can help (i have contacted korg support and they were not helpful - at all)

Basically, I have my tannoy monitors connected to my kronos L/R and I have logic using my kronos as the in and out via USB. I do have the kronos using the USB connection going into the L/R outputs through global mode.
However, if i start recording in logic. it will feed its metronome into the kronos, and the kronos will send it back into logic, thus recording itself. it will also record all other audio tracks, and well as any noises my computer makes (only if global audio via system prefs is set to kronos though)

Mac and logic most definitely support aggregate devices, if you could help me out that would be awesome, or just let me know if the plugin software will help me at all when its out.

Thanks!

Edit:

before anyone says it
THERE IS NO MIDI CONNECTIONS GOING ON

I AM DEALING STRICTLY WITH AUDIO AND ALL MIDI CONNECTIONS HAVE BEEN DISABLED VIA LOGIC

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Sonar:

Sonar X1 - Edit - Preference - Playback & Recording :
Driver Mode: The default is WDM/KS. Korg recommends that you select MME instead.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
Thanks, XTrade!

- Dan

Hey dan, Im running logic 9 under snow leopard and I have a problem and hopefully you can help (i have contacted korg support and they were not helpful - at all)

Who did you contact, and how?

- Dan
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Re Sonar:

Driver Mode: The default is WDM/KS. Korg recommends that you select MME instead.

Hi Dan, will this also be true for OS 1.5 and the editor? MME doesn't particularly scream "professional audio hardware" for many reasons, as I'm sure you're aware.
I'm honestly not too bothered as I have a good card in my computer (and want to use the Kronos mainly live) but it seems an "odd" decision I suppose for people who. Want to rely on it for most things studio, except the sequencer.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Re Sonar:

Hi Dan, will this also be true for OS 1.5 and the editor?

Yes.

- Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: