Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Djembe Bass, Tone, and Slap from the Wavedrum?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
armchair_drummer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Getting Djembe Bass, Tone, and Slap from the Wavedrum? Reply with quote

I'm the proud owner of a Wavedrum Global Edition which I recently got off EBay. I've been trying out a few of the different programs, in particular 157 Djembe. I'm no expert at playing djembe, but on an actual djembe, one can get three distinct tones: bass, tone, and slap. Can someone with more experience with the Wavedrum confirm that it should be possible to get three distinct tones out of the djembe programs? I can't seem to make it happen.

If I strike the Wavedrum with my fingertips between the logo plate and the center of the head, I can get a satisfying bass. Striking anywhere else gives me what sounds like a slap. Is this just a case of needing to sort out my technique? (Which I don't expect to identical on a Wavedrum and an actual djembe.) Could there be something about my set-up or settings that might be off? Or is this somewhere where the Wavedrum differs from the instrument it's emulating?

I've tried adjusting the head tension, pressure sensor height, and the various calibration settings, but as a novice on the instrument, it's sometimes hard to know what I'm aiming for and when I've got it right. Could an old head be causing trouble? My Wavedrum is second-hand, and its head does show some wear, especially at the front edge, although not what I would have considered excessive.
armchair_drummer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like my Wavedrum's head was too old. I've replaced the stock head with a new Remo Ambassador Fibreskyn, and the instrument is now much more expressive. I'm still getting comfortable with djembe technique on the Wavedrum, but I can now get the distinct sounds I expect out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: