Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microstation and SMF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Microstation and SMF Reply with quote

I'm trying to play back standard midi files in the Microstation's sequencer with little success. My collection of SMFs generally play nicely in Logic, and on my trusty old PSR-3000, but I can not get a single one to play back properly in the Microstation. The manual is pretty vague on the topic as far as I can see.

http://www.korg.com/microstation touts this feature: A full General MIDI level 2 compatible soundset allows commercial and pre-made MIDI files to be played perfectly and instantly.

Ok, I give up. How?

And yes, I know that gigging in general with SMFs is kinda lame, but I only need them for my work with a few groups of special people who happen to love "starring" as my vocalist along with my awesome SMF band - and there are some surprisingly well programmed SMFs stored onboard the ol' 3000. If only I could micro-size the setup...
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specifically what is your problem? is the file not properly calling up the correct program?

All of Korg's sequencers handle SMF's kinda weird. When you load it, the sequencer creates a Program/Bank change event in each track for whatever program is assigned. You have to use event editing (refer to your manual for event editing) in the first measure of each track and either delete this event, or edit it.

You may want to just edit the program change event... just change the bank in the event to the GM bank. That will make your sequence play correctly, but in the future if you want to change the program to something else, you will have to edit the event again instead of just reassigning it on the main SEQ screen.

if you choose to delete the event, you'll have to jump to the main SEQ screen and change the program to the correct one there. I usually prefer to do this because then in the future it's easier to change.

If I didn't answer your question correctly, please be more specific in what your problem is.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fast reply!!! Thanks!

Yeah, every SMF seems to call up weird, seemingly random sounds in the Microstation. From what you're saying, I assume I will have to edit the beginning of every SMF. So much for the "perfectly and instantly" claim.

I'll just stick with the 3000 then. Thanks for the good info!
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a couple things you might try doing...

Try changing the bank map option in Global Mode from KORG to GM2

also try a GM Initialize in the menu of the main screen of SEQ mode.

not sure if either of these will fix your problem, but they're something you can try.

Dear Korg, this is a problem with ALL Korg Workstations... maybe it's time for a change...
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gargamel! Good ideas, sadly there is still no difference. I've tried SMFs that work properly elsewhere, just load'n'play, then loaded them into the MS... but this is definitely not a case where I'm able to play back SMFs "perfectly and instantly".
KORG2

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wasn't able to play standard MIDI files with the correct sounds. It doesn't change anything when I change the Bank Map to "GM(2)" ... but after I set Song Command > GM Initialize, the sounds of the MIDI files finally sound (somehow) okay.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth a try Smile
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: