Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS vs. KRONOS: sound quality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how you mean it, it seems to me you could either first record midi and then bounce individual tracks to audio, or go stereo out from the O to the K (or vice versa) and record directly to audio in plain stereo.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
I am curious if that is the exact procedure you used to come to your conclusion?
I apologize about making you dizzy. Smile

Thats ok Wink

The procedure is written a little bit back in this thread about 2-3 posts before your first post I think.....(I haven't personally tried this, so I cannot describe it)
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice Combi "California Phase Shifter" is included both in OASYS and Kronos, however it sounds a bit different because a timbre on track 3 called "Pure Satin Bells" is tuned differently: it's sounds higher in Kronos by a perfect fifth.

Interesting: These "Pure Satin Bells" Programs sound identical in OASYS/Kronos. So I thought the mentioned different tuning is done in Combi mode - but surprisingly the Transpose values for those timbres are the same, +7. How can it be? (I didn't have time to check and fully understand what could be the reason.)
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
. How can it be? (I didn't have time to check and fully understand what could be the reason.)

Karma?
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
. How can it be? (I didn't have time to check and fully understand what could be the reason.)

Karma?

Thanks but Karma is off in this Combi by default.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in Tone Adjust? Could be a slightly deeper synth parameter, depending on the engine. Or perhaps one of the switches or knobs or sliders affects this and is in a different setting on each synth?
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Something in Tone Adjust? Could be a slightly deeper synth parameter, depending on the engine. Or perhaps one of the switches or knobs or sliders affects this and is in a different setting on each synth?

Maybe, I don't know. The Kronos is not with me, I can't check it myself.

I think this observation proves that even the identically named presets - a Combi in this case - can produce different sound because of altered settings in Kronos.

PS. Personally I prefer the OASYS version of California Phase Shifter. And somehow I like the OASYS a bit better as an instrument overall... I feel it stronger, rawer, more powerful, more controllable under my fingers in some cases. There may be many reasons why, maybe it's just a feeling, I may be biased, and I didn't make scientific sound quality comparisons. I have an O88 but I neither had a chance to try a big Kronos 88 (I played the 73 and 61).

No doubt, Kronos is a marvelous instrument, the most modern keyboard workstation and I like it very very much but I still love my OASYS.
maphill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kronos (used to have an OASYS) and am still willing to get to the bottom of any potential differences. All I need is an OASYS owner to help me make some recordings using the same patches (OASYS-based ones).

Just PM me if interested.
Mark
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we've covered this already for goodness sake, and there is no difference, because the outboard is IDENTICAL!
maphill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Hedegaard. My thought is that it can be attributed to the updates in the patches themselves.

But many people won't accept that (for whatever reason) and I'm offering the chance for them to have audible evidence.

Just giving an opportunity if anyone wants to take me up on it.

Mark
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combi voicing certainly has changed somewhat for the KRONOS. Combis may use the SGX-1 or EP-1, for instance. Some Programs have seen slight changes as well. I am quite certain that this is the full extent of any sonic differences between the KRONOS and OASYS.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dan! Smile
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Combi voicing certainly has changed somewhat for the KRONOS. Combis may use the SGX-1 or EP-1, for instance. Some Programs have seen slight changes as well. I am quite certain that this is the full extent of any sonic differences between the KRONOS and OASYS.

I finally snagged my KRONOS 61. I also have the OASYS 76 and M3 73. I have to agree with Dan on this. The sonic fidelity on the KRONOS is as pristine as the OASYS. I can't say the same for the M3. However, in a live mix with a band, I don't think it makes that much difference, unless you are a purist.

Beautiful job on the KRONOS, Dan. The new material is just stunning, especially the new pianos and EPs. They are superior to the former currently residing in the OASYS. These former OASYS pianos and EPs also found in the KRONOS sound identical.

Frankly, I don't know what all the commotion is about OASYS vs KRONOS sound quality. With the exception of what Dan has described, these two monsters are the same. This thread should be put to rest.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dany wrote:
Hello Leo

Thank you so much!!!! Yes indeed, if I compare those two files, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE OASYS IS STILL PLAYING IN A DIFFERENT SOUND LEAGUE THAN KRONOS. I wonder why almost nobody else is reflecting on this fact. The OASYS sounds better than Kronos, no doubt. So I am really happy two have two OASYS-88 with a great 88 key action and a superior sound. After all it was huge investment and I am happy that I do not have to repent it.
Now I have the wanted proof !!!!

So thank you again Leo and all my best wishes to you!

BTW: Leo has sent me a personal e-mail with the WAV files attached....and I've checked them out on my Genelec Monitors and AKG k702 headphones.

-

Oh, dear... Only two OASYS 88s. Poor underprivileged SOB. You have my sympathies. Evil or Very Mad
Dany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gridsleep wrote:
Dany wrote:
Hello Leo

Thank you so much!!!! Yes indeed, if I compare those two files, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE OASYS IS STILL PLAYING IN A DIFFERENT SOUND LEAGUE THAN KRONOS. I wonder why almost nobody else is reflecting on this fact. The OASYS sounds better than Kronos, no doubt. So I am really happy two have two OASYS-88 with a great 88 key action and a superior sound. After all it was huge investment and I am happy that I do not have to repent it.
Now I have the wanted proof !!!!

So thank you again Leo and all my best wishes to you!

BTW: Leo has sent me a personal e-mail with the WAV files attached....and I've checked them out on my Genelec Monitors and AKG k702 headphones.

-

Oh, dear... Only two OASYS 88s. Poor underprivileged SOB. You have my sympathies. Evil or Very Mad

Yeah!!! Let's "occupy OASYS owners"!!!

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: