Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS vs. KRONOS: sound quality
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: OASYS vs. KRONOS: sound quality Reply with quote

Hi to all!

Because this issue were discussed many times and not many confirmed,that OASYS sounding better than KRONOS on the same combis, I made wav files through internal recording- so no audio routing were involved.

This is a links for wave files-compare by your self!

http://letitbit.net/download/70803.706e37a2f11466d0d8f700845e8f/particles_and_wavesK.WAV.html

http://letitbit.net/download/63664.6fa9f94ea07c74ade285cbc86c2e/particles_and_wavesO.wav.html

OASYS 76 #000145, Kurzweil K2600S, Yamaha QS300
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to download these but all I get are tons of Russian language adverts and options and have no idea what to do once I finally wait for the waiting time to stop...

If you pm me your email, I'll reply and you can send me the files and I'll give you the links to the files on my own server (no adverts!!!!).
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to download the file (at work), but cannot listen to it hear, just for trying.

The firewall etc keeps a lot of advertisement away but it's not easy, you have to wait one minute and remove some advertisement screen(s).

Guess you make a lot of people happy letting use Cello's space.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds (and looks, take a look at the waveforms) like there's more compression going on the OASYS. I wouldn't attribute that solely to DACs.
Dany

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Leo

Thank you so much!!!! Yes indeed, if I compare those two files, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE OASYS IS STILL PLAYING IN A DIFFERENT SOUND LEAGUE THAN KRONOS. I wonder why almost nobody else is reflecting on this fact. The OASYS sounds better than Kronos, no doubt. So I am really happy two have two OASYS-88 with a great 88 key action and a superior sound. After all it was huge investment and I am happy that I do not have to repent it.
Now I have the wanted proof !!!!

So thank you again Leo and all my best wishes to you!

BTW: Leo has sent me a personal e-mail with the WAV files attached....and I've checked them out on my Genelec Monitors and AKG k702 headphones.

-
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,Dany!

Glad to know that you happy with your O's as I'm!

Interesting thing- currently about 20 downloads-and only your opinion posted. Strange?

cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Leo - meant to post earlier...

I totally agree. The examples you provide are enough for me to confirm my gut instinct - that the O sounds better.

I have played the Kronos in my local store three times (whilst deciding what to spend my hard earned money on) and I felt the Kronos was just missing whatever magic the OASYS has. And the O has it in bucket loads!

Initially I thought I'd go with the Kronos (to future-proof as much as possible my O sounds), but I played something else and it had me in rapture because it was SO different to the OASYS but would work together with the O beautifully. Cool

Thanks for taking the time to do the examples!
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello!

You welcome!

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I feel the need to ask if you copied the Oasys soundbanks to the Kronos entirely, or if you just took the combis on the two machines that had the same name, and assumed they were identical. Also, did you switch the Kronos to 16 bit recording as well? As it seems this might account for some of the "compression" heard. All in all, it would seem entirely unlikely to me that Kronos, based on JUST THE SOFTWARE (seeing as you recorded internally without use of the DACs) would sound so dramatically different with identical settings.
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay! Very good question!

We just took combis with the same names. This weekend I will try what are you talking about-let's see if it make difference. But I've cheked all available screens- all settings were the same.

On Kronos being used 16 bit recording. But since internal sampling of Kronos is 16 bit I do not think that 24 bit recording will make any sense.

I dont have idea why this machines have difference in sound, but without any recording simply connected to the same mixer through the same monitors at the same time- I heard the same that you hear from wav files.

cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Again I feel the need to ask if you copied the Oasys soundbanks to the Kronos entirely, or if you just took the combis on the two machines that had the same name, and assumed they were identical. Also, did you switch the Kronos to 16 bit recording as well? As it seems this might account for some of the "compression" heard. All in all, it would seem entirely unlikely to me that Kronos, based on JUST THE SOFTWARE (seeing as you recorded internally without use of the DACs) would sound so dramatically different with identical settings.

Trouble is with this kind of debate is unless you've had hands on - or perhaps I should say 'ears on' - experience with both instruments then it just descends into a theoretical debate around technology.

Would we debate a piano in the same way? I doubt it. There are only four variables - the mechanism (technology), the quality of the strings, the case (the speakers?) and the player (how its played) - and each time you hear even the same piano it will be different (even just down to acoustic qualities of the venue - okay, there a fifth variable!).

Perhaps you have played both and you have a view, I don't know. But for me the O sounds better. It just does - I don't care if the Kronos is solid diamonds and gold nuggets inside and the OASYS has three carrots inside with a bit of chewing gum holding them together (you can see clearly I'm not a techie guy!), the O sounds better to me. And for my ears, Leo's examples prove it - because his examples accurately reflect what I heard when I played the Kronos and when I play the OASYS.

Just my 2c and not wishing to dig into anyone - just sayin'.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you're happy with your O. I don't mean to attack that in any way. I have never played one, just a Kronos, so I can't debate very well from experience. However, I'm not very interested in which one people think sounds "better", because such an argument is subjective by nature. I'm interested why the Kronos would sound DIFFERENT with identical input from the UI. This is easy to test; record a midi sequence of something on the O., bounce it to audio internally on the O.
Then transfer the midi sequence to the K., load up the Oasys sound banks and again bounce the midi to audio internally (set the K. to the same 16-bit used on the O.).
Then, transfer the resulting wave files to a listening device, or even a wave analyzer, and compare.
It doesn't seem like that's what happened here. So we're left with an entirely subjective comparison again, and we don't really need sound samples to rehash that argument.
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me were important to understand - do I have to upgrade to Kronos or not. And sound quality is one of most important questions.

I've had a feeling ( not only I) that Korg kick my lovely Oasys with Kronos.

But now I can say- thank you Korg for my Oasys! It's still sound better (even without 2 new engines) it has better building quality and way bigger screen.

leo200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I'm glad that you're happy with your O. I don't mean to attack that in any way. I have never played one, just a Kronos, so I can't debate very well from experience. However, I'm not very interested in which one people think sounds "better", because such an argument is subjective by nature. I'm interested why the Kronos would sound DIFFERENT with identical input from the UI. This is easy to test; record a midi sequence of something on the O., bounce it to audio internally on the O.
Then transfer the midi sequence to the K., load up the Oasys sound banks and again bounce the midi to audio internally (set the K. to the same 16-bit used on the O.).
Then, transfer the resulting wave files to a listening device, or even a wave analyzer, and compare.
It doesn't seem like that's what happened here. So we're left with an entirely subjective comparison again, and we don't really need sound samples to rehash that argument.

I'll give it try and will post the results.Probably-next week

AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, downloaded it and after a few listens', it seems like the OASYS wav has higher "bit-sound", or similar to the difference I get when I record my OASYS onto my KORG D3200 in 16 bit then 24 bit.

Its tough with particles and waves though, have you got anymore long pad sounds that dont use karma/ryhthm etc?

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: