Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS vs. KRONOS: sound quality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markuk wrote:
Dan doesnt really give a toss what oasys owners think because korg dont sell the oasys.
I will be totally honest, i dont really mind if they dont bring anything else out for the oasys but i do think its discusting that the have used oasys owners a guinea pigs then fobbed them off.
Korg are only a name, they dont really care what you think unless it affects their business.
They sent letters to a selected few people on here to keep everyone happy. I didnt get one by the way. although im not really arsed about a piece of paper.

You didn't get the letter, because the prison that you're sitting in, filters them out Wink

(Just a joke Smile )
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hedegaard
You should pick a decent pair of headphones then because there's a very definite difference.

I agree by the way that it needs to be done with Oasys programs ported to the Kronos, I was under the impression that Leo had done it this way.

Whether you can hear a difference or not has nothing to do however with "how you're feeling one day", that's like saying that on some days, you can't tell the difference between red and green. Comparative analysis by ear is a perfectly valid (and in fact the only useful) way of comparing audio examples.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Leo and Dany,

Thank you for the information, but I got really confused. Laughing
So finally you say: 11 & 13 are OASYS, 12 & 14 are KRONOS.

For me 12 & 14 were "warmer/fuller/richer" somehow, but the difference was very small. So does it mean that Kronos is the one that sounds better? Shocked I simply can't decide the question myself based on these examples. I would make "more scientific" comparisons but at the moment I don't have the time, unfortunately. Until now I can only say - according to Dany - that both OASYS and Kronos are outstanding, head to head, in sonic capabilities and quality.

(PS. Hi Hedegaard, thanks but I'm not really back. It was an interesting topic. Wink )
maphill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with almost all of the points that Heregaard (sp?) and McHale mentioned. And as a DSP Engineer who spends his time writing algorithms in MATLAB, I'm equipped to do a more scientific comparison.

Disclosure: I believe the electronics are the same with regard to sound quality. And I believe that any changes in the algorithms themselves would be optimizations that negligibly affect sound quality and add capabilities (4 to 8 velocity switch points, etc.). Therefore, my hypothesis is that the differences in "sound quality" are actually patch differences, auditioning system differences, and subjectivity.

However, I'd like to approach this as if I had no clue, with an open mind, and prove it.

But, to do this, I need a patient volunteer with an OASYS that can help me make a few recordings here and there over the next few weeks. It won't take more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks,
Mark
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
I agree with almost all of the points that Heregaard (sp?) and McHale mentioned. And as a DSP Engineer who spends his time writing algorithms in MATLAB, I'm equipped to do a more scientific comparison.

Disclosure: I believe the electronics are the same with regard to sound quality. And I believe that any changes in the algorithms themselves would be optimizations that negligibly affect sound quality and add capabilities (4 to 8 velocity switch points, etc.). Therefore, my hypothesis is that the differences in "sound quality" are actually patch differences, auditioning system differences, and subjectivity.

However, I'd like to approach this as if I had no clue, with an open mind, and prove it.

But, to do this, I need a patient volunteer with an OASYS that can help me make a few recordings here and there over the next few weeks. It won't take more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks,
Mark

Proof is always a good thing, thanks for offering your time/knowledge to sort it out.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, I don't disagree at all that computers and DSPs are entirely deterministic. I don't think computers are "voodoo boxes" or something where anything can happen and the position of the moon influences the sound and whatever other nonsense.

My supposition (purely based on the premise that identical patches were used, which, it now turns out, might not be the case) is that they must have modified the algorithms somewhat as part of the optimization. And listening to the posted examples, to be honest, it sounds to me unlikely that the differences are purely due to patch tweaks.
maphill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

My supposition (purely based on the premise that identical patches were used, which, it now turns out, might not be the case) is that they must have modified the algorithms somewhat as part of the optimization. And listening to the posted examples, to be honest, it sounds to me unlikely that the differences are purely due to patch tweaks.

Would you like to help me put that to the test? Smile

Something to consider: Korg (as well as most companies) has traditionally given the technology a new name if it was noticeably updated. Consider AI, ACCESS, HI, HD-1, etc. For evolutions of a given technology, care is usually taken so that all optimizations are functionally equivalent.

However, this is something we can verify. What I'd like to do is first test the sample rate conversion (SRC). This is the most important part of basic sound quality. We'd use a patch with no effects and no LFOs. It would take a basic waveform and we'd record it shift up and down by various amounts. Look at this would determine the quality of the SRC and internal representation.

Once that was determined, we could look at specific effects (reverb and EQs being the most important). That would take more work.

(Still looking for a volunteer)
Mark
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not very scientific, but likely candidates (judging from the samples and the basic technical knowledge of the machines) seem 16-bit vs 24-bit recording and the fx. Even if Leo recorded both at 16-bit, it seems the code would have to be modified to even incorporate the 24-bit possibility on the Kronos. Also, since the fx are now processed on the second cpu core, some code must've been modified there.

In other words, I don't think there'll be much difference with the most basic form of sample playback. I'd like to help you test, but I don't have an Oasys nor a Kronos right now. Hopefully a Kronos later this month.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good test would be for an OASYS owner to play a patch under every engine. Send the .pcg of those patches to a KRONOS owner (or load it into a KRONOS if they happen to have both) and play the exact same thing with the KRONOS conversion of the patches. It MAY sound exactly the same but shouldn't be surprising if it doesn't. The KRONOS OS has been updated. I wouldn't be surprised if the exact same patches on an OASYS sound different on the same OASYS under different OS versions.

The next question would be, if the OASYS and KRONOS sound different with the same .pcg file, can the KRONOS be tweaked to sound exactly like the OASYS. If so, it's a moot point IMHO.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
shawnhar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're serious about proving this one way or the other, it is also important to make this test as a proper scientific double blind.

If there truly is a difference, multiple different listeners should be able to identify which recording is which, significantly > 50% of the time, and without knowing in advance which one they are listening to.

If the test is not blind, listening to two versions doesn't really prove anything.
maphill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnhar wrote:
If you're serious about proving this one way or the other, it is also important to make this test as a proper scientific double blind.

If there truly is a difference, multiple different listeners should be able to identify which recording is which, significantly > 50% of the time, and without knowing in advance which one they are listening to.

If the test is not blind, listening to two versions doesn't really prove anything.

Yup. I was already thinking about making people use a freely-available ABX compare program.

Mark
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don"t see why it would have to be double blind, but blind testing is a good idea, yes. That was part of leo's test as well, by the way. To be honest, after so many comments about the Oasys still being "better", I had thought that samples 12 and 14 were from the Oasys, as they sound better to me. I was positively surprised that he later said they were from Kronos.
maphill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don"t see why it would have to be double blind, but blind testing is a good idea, yes. That was part of leo's test as well, by the way. To be honest, after so many comments about the Oasys still being "better", I had thought that samples 12 and 14 were from the Oasys, as they sound better to me. I was positively surprised that he later said they were from Kronos.

But all that may mean is that you like the OASYS patch better (if there is a difference). Or maybe there is just a new reverb used, or, etc.

We need to get to the bottom of it so we can all stop speculating.

Mark
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
We need to get to the bottom of it so we can all stop speculating.

Or just let it go. If it's THAT close, what does it matter? If you have to do a double blind test, then it's not obvious. This whole thing is just for bragging rights anyway.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely not be able to tell one from the other without a direct comparison. And even then, that's assuming any differences that might show up resemble the ones in the previous sound examples.
I'll never have an Oasys and I will have a Kronos, so it doesn't really affect my buying habits. It's just interesting to me if a real difference can be found because on the surface most engines would seem to be copies of each other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: