Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leave On / Power Off?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often to you turn your keyboards off?
Never turn my keyboards off
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Turn my keyboards off about once a month
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Turn my keyboards off about once a week
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Turn my keyboards off each day when I'm done
92%
 92%  [ 69 ]
Other... reply to thread with info
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 75

Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after years of use, my Korg 01/W's backlight is extremely dim. I don't know if this a concern with the new touch-screens (plus the 01/Wfd being 20 years old), but i wonder if after 10 years or so if the Kronos's screen will start to fade like the 01/Wfd's.
Subpar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn mine off after use, mainly because I travel so much. But when I am there on the weekend I almost never shut them off.

On the M3, there used to be knob on the front panel that was for screen brightness. Sometimes, I would just turn the screen off...

Not sure if this is on the Kronos, havent checked. (My Kronos was on Thursday-Tuesday because I couldnt keep my hands off it!!!)

Dustin
Aka Subpar
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is the first keyboard I've decided to leave on all the time. I sometimes get just little chunks of time, say 10 minutes or even less, where I can run into the studio and tinker a bit. With so little time, I don't want to have to wait over 2 minutes for Kronos to boot, so I just leave it on.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Do you guys also turn your computer(s) off every night and reboot them the next morning?

The only time I shut off my computers is for a reboot when I feel it's necessary, or I leave for a week for travel. They're on 24-7. Heck, when I'm in bed, they're backing themselves up with Retrospect. And I have 7 computer systems currently running on the network. You should see my electric bill.

But I agree with the camp that thinks the unnecessary power-cycling may be detrimental; not to mention that when you're working on a computer and you've got 10 apps open; shutting that all down and starting that all up again to get back to the point you were at is prohibitive. Not quite the same with a keyboard, but still that behavior has kind of carried over for me lately....

With my keyboards, they'll generally be on all the time as well, unless I'm not using one in general, then I'll shut it off and leave it off until I need it again. But the ones I'm using every day, they stay on, like the computers they are. Wink

I do wish Korg would supply a screen saver; just a simple one that shuts off the screen and (potentially) has a floating korg logo so you know it's still on; that would eliminate a lot of the potential (possibly insignificant) worrying that surrounds this.

iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... of course, those with 'proper' studios could consider investing in automatic fire suppression systems. Not water (obviously!), but one of the many "safe for electronics / safe for people" gaseous extinguishing systems often found in server rooms etc offering 24/7 protection. Things have moved on a long way since the days of only having CO2 / Halon / Water ! Idea
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch off the whole god damn house almost Smile
Our power bills have gone through the roof - australia.

Also, we are environmentally consciouse, keep green house gases down, reduce energy, constantly bombared with ads everywhere we go. A carbon tax will probably be introduced here.

We virtually switch off everything except the fridge.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also switch off my gear when not beeing used. In Germany under the impression of Fukushima government made a law to get out of nuclear power until 2022. Besides the bills for electricity I think in these days everyone should save power/electricity.

best regards
SoulBe
aliaksei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the preferred scenario of Kronos usage?

Is it OKay to keep it powered ON for all the day and switch off for the night?
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy mother of necro threads!!! You’ve resurrected one that is more than 10 years old Very Happy

I often leave mine on for days at a time, but if I’m not planning on playing I shut them down.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Actually, this one is interesting as I never saw it before. For the resurrector question, I voted every day as well, like the majority. I prefer my Kronos to cool down when I am not working on it, hopefully to give it a longer lifetime.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tunaman, I usually leave my rig on for days at a time. I'm more likely to want to play if it is ready to go when inspiration strikes, without having to wait for it to boot.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is pretty funny Laughing

I leave my Kronos on for days at a time when I'm working on something. Especially when my HD was full because I would have to flip files around and delete stuff just to save something. So I just kept working on my track till it was complete and then would go through the hassle of saving it.

Sometimes I turn it on in the morning and work on it throughout the day. Or leave it on for a couple a days going back and fourth to it. I mean at the heart of it the Kronos is your typical computer. It should be fine left on for long periods of time.

Now with my 2nd SDD installed though. I save as needed and just turn it off when I'm done.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's interesting to see what people do, but of course, we can't really compare and take advice from others, as we all have different applications of our gear, and time frames. I don't use my Kronos every day. The power and wear effects would far outweigh the positives. I've tailored the rest of my system to start up quickly. When using my Kronos as a MIDI controller, I load a cut down PCG, which doesn't load any samples and uses no RAM. It takes me approx 25 seconds to boot it up, so only turn it on to use it.... then off when I'm finished. As Billysynth mentioned, here in Australia the cost of energy is hugely dominant in our decisions to not unnecessarily consume power. I turn off all my any computers when not using them, they are not for professional use anyway.

I guess as the rest of the world starts to pay a lot more for energy too, everyone will consider not leaving things on when not in use for a long time.

The issue of burn in on screens, is a bit misleading. Of course it was an issue with electrons hitting phosphors on CRT's, but with LCD's(and OLEDS), the term has persisted. The mechanism for why this so, has changed. LCD's do still suffer ghost imaging from static images on the screen over a long periods of time due to aging and changes to liquid crystal response when held in one state for extended periods. (An over simplified description) Smile OLED's of course, simply wear pixels more with on states than off states.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: