Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leave On / Power Off?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often to you turn your keyboards off?
Never turn my keyboards off
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Turn my keyboards off about once a month
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Turn my keyboards off about once a week
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Turn my keyboards off each day when I'm done
92%
 92%  [ 69 ]
Other... reply to thread with info
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 75

EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Leave On / Power Off? Reply with quote

Just curious about the life of the Kronos. Do you leave your keyboards powered up days/months/years. Or do you turn um off daily? Any screen burn in issues? (Oasys, M3, M50, now Kronos etc...)

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
panrixx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn off each day because:

1. Fan noise may increase and life decrease with constant running. The fan is similar to a PC case fan, which are quoted at around 70,000 hours (8 years). Despite these claims I have had them fail with 3,000 hours. If the fan was a high quality, 'silent', fan this may not apply. Do you beleive the Kronos fan fits this description?

2. Reduced fire risk - it's electrical so there is always this risk, no matter how small.

Do you leave your TV, Hi-Fi, etc., on forever? If not, what is the difference?

Last edited by panrixx on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn mine off too... the reasons above def make sense, but i also worry about screen burn-in, especially with a Korg workstation that has no screensaver.
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn mine off for the same reasons as panrixx.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave all of mine on all the time. Keyboards are OASYS, Radias and T3ex.

No screenburn issues on the O at all.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenburn on a LCD, never heard of that.

I put my synth(s) off since I don't use them daily and starting up only cost like 10 secs. Don't know how it would be if I have a Kronos, my computer I always leave on since it takes like 2-5 minutes to start up.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our computer monitors where i work get left on all day and all night, no screen saver. They're now ruined. They're somewhat-cheap Acer LCD monitors. It does happen to LCD's. Haha also my ATM is screen-burned on the "Insert your card with the black stripe facing down" screen.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

what day and night?,, all the time???/ Surely you "turn it off" when you go to bed???. Can't see the point in leaving a Keyboard on 24/7 TBH. Also, the increased bill is worth considering too Confused

EDIT: your outnumbered 13/1 in the poll at writing Very Happy

Tony

JOHN 3:16
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:
cello wrote:

what day and night?,, all the time???/ Surely you "turn it off" when you go to bed???. Can't see the point in leaving a Keyboard on 24/7 TBH. Also, the increased bill is worth considering too Confused

EDIT: your outnumbered 13/1 in the poll at writing Very Happy

Tony

Tis true - all on while I'm sleeping too. Just like them being ready to go. Also sometimes I forget I've done sound edits or a new song or re-programmed the pads, or changed something in global or created a new combi - and then they're lost on power off! Ultimately it is laziness I'm afraid Embarassed

I had a thread like this in the OASYS section about best practice re power on/off. It wasn't a poll but i'd say it was around 50/50. I was thinking about the hard disc wear and tear. There wasn't a strong opinion in one way or the other which was better re hard disc starting up everyday (or several times everyday) to only starting up once a week or so.

In truth I do switch off now and again - when I go on a business trip or holidays everything gets swtiched off then (fire risk mainly).
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to leave all my kit on (when someone else was paying the electricity bills Laughing ).

Anyway, I had a DX7 catch fire once - luckily I had smoke detectors, and was in at the time, so I dealt with the issue before it got serious.

Since then, I never leave my kit on when I'm not there, and even switch the old stuff off if I'm leaving the 'studio' for more than half an hour...
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a DX7 catch fire once

Holy cr*p!

There is a good argument for leaving "electronics" powered on.....its a similar consideration as in the computer world. As I understand.....there is more wear and tear on the electronic components by power cycling, than there is by leaving current flowing. The electronic components are designed and at their best when current is flowing through them. However.....other considerations must come into play....such as any mechanical components (as opposed to electronic components), such as a screen/monitor (which has a bulb and pixels, and therefore a shelf life) or a mechanical hard drive (which has moving parts, and therefore a shelf life.....albeit not on the KRONOS thanks to SSD). So all in all....considering that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts......its best to power down your gear when not in use for an extended period of time (you decide what that means!). Of course, the threat of the darn thing possibly catching fire (it CAN happen) should be enough of a deterrent while you sleep! Cool
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern LCDs and TFTs do not technically suffer from 'burn in'. However, an image can 'temporarily' remain on the screen. This is called 'image persistence', and should slowly resolve itself.

Difference is that the phosphors on a CRT display eventually get 'depleted' and when an image is left up on the screen, it wears unevenly.

Image Persistence is where the crystals or transistors get stuck in a certain polarity and become temporarily rigid.

I've personally never seen it happen and I'm not sure what exactly is meant by 'temporary' regarding timescales.

Anyway, leaving anything on 24/7 unless strictly necessary is wasteful & potentially considered selfish or inconsiderate in this age of 'global warming' and 'emerging energy shortages'. Not to mention expensive. I'm told the energy bill increases significantly when I'm home using my gear, and that's only 2 or 3 hours a day!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro

Last edited by X-Trade on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
maphill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the fan, I posted some information below:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=405085#405085

Didn't see a mean-time-between-failures rating.

Mark
franzlp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a UPS to support an extended outage you should leave you're gear off.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I power off all my keyboard gear when I'm not using it. Normally I turn each unit off independantly. Lately, I've been considering turning off the power strip too. Keyboards like the Virus TI obvious still draw power when powered off. There's a small pulsating light on the face of a Virus showing that it's simply in standby mode.

If there was a spike in power due to a storm or something, I'd think it could still surge into the unit even if it were powered off. Might research a better power strip/UPS.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: