Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jupiter80 vs Kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beavis28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Jupiter80 vs Kronos Reply with quote

Hi, All

I didn't care about other rival product such as XF or Jupiter,, but still
had kept an eye on the twitter comment on Kronos and Jupiter80, and found some people are saying that Jupiter80 is better sound than Kronos.

Since Jupiter80 is not released yet in US, but it is released in Japan last week, some already touched both of them and seems like they prefer Jupiter80.

Although I have never chance to try on Jupiter80, now I start caring about Jupiter80.

What do you guys think about Jupiter80?

I have already bought K73, and am satisfied with those 9 engines.
But, concept of Jupiter80 is different from Kronos.
One thing I can say clearly is Kronos is chasing real music instrument sound. So, I guess it doesn't exceed real one which is fine.

However, some comment on Jupiter80 is saying it may exceed real instrument, or even notion of synth. I am not sure what that means. But, most of them are saying same thing, that is they feel really good while playing. That is most important thing for music instrument.

I just wanted to share this info not for argument reason but for just info.
Because we are keyboardist, have common interest, and I can read Japanese comment from reviewer.

If next month Jupiter80 is released in US and makes me feel good from that sound, I may buy.. So, let's not underestimate rival product.
Anyway, this year brings us good harvest.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos does MOST of everything the Jupiter 80 does and it has the best sounds of any synth to date. Many of the J80 sounds sounded pretty weak IMHO. After nothing but bad experiences with Roland keyboards, I wouldn't buy another one for any price (new anyway. I'd consider the vintage analog stuff).

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to the JP80 vids very carefully. The JP80s demo's seem to be repetitive of a few instruments: trumpet, timp, guitar. Going by the vid comparisons between the two, in My Opinion, the JP trumpet and guitar are better than Kronos. Everything else, Kronos covers.

If korg would find some time and release Brass/Reed, we are basically covered. With STR1, someone needs to program a better guitar. However, I'm not sure if this Exi has the ability to do that? Does anybody know the programming ability of this software is it capable of producing better sounding guitars?

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
RKfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in the Jp80 have a look at some of the vids that have been posted on Roland Clan - I have seen most of them and I am impressed by the Supernatural sounds. Yes they have concentrated mainly on the horns and the guitars and they do sound really good. A couple of videos by Scott Tibbs and Howard Jones show off some of the more synth side of things - looks like it can make some pretty acceptable pad sounds. The guys at Roland have been pretty quiet since Musikmesse - no new videos showing off the VA capabilities, so who knows what that can really do.

However, I don't want a synth to sound as good as or better than real instruments - I want a synth to make sounds that are definitely electronic and for me the Kronos does it for me. I will be placing my order pretty soon- DV247 are offering 4 years warranty (all products) and take home now pay next year so its tempting to get one now. I have other things to do this summer so its not going to be till the autumn.
FGTH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an excelent article on this blog:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/04/first-look-at-roland-jupiter-80-images-and-reflections-on-the-jupiter-legacy/

I've been very interested in the way that the Supernatural method is used here. I've curious about the "Behavior Modeling" that the article refers to as the Jupiter kind "learns" and adapts to the way you play it an this is something very interesting. I think it is a live perfomance keyboard and I'm waiting to really give it a good look. For those who can afford it (it would be expensive), i think it may be a terrific companion for our beloved kronos.
Beavis28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is pretty good demo to listen to Jupiter80 sound, which has an hour demo.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15561975

FGTH-

Yes, I was also very interested in "Behavior Modeling" with super natural sound.

I think official demo they did at Frankfurt Musikmesse 2011 is pretty bad,,,
So, it didn't give us good impression,, but actually 4 layer player can combine makes fat sound,,

I also like below demo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_MIflf_ck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60wjKfXBEsg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcdk27SyEBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVUdd6bGaY&feature=related
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-80 and Kronos aren't really comparable keyboards, since J-80 is not a workstation at all.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

This is a tired topic.. To use the term "vs" implies they compete in the same market place and they do not.

EvilDragon wrote:
Jupiter-80 and Kronos aren't really comparable keyboards, since J-80 is not a workstation at all.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
mjames4208

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully, by october, i'll have the jupiter sitting underneath my kronos61.
time to get rid of my modules, MPC5k, & A-70.
selling as a bundle, if anyone is interested.
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many of the J80 sounds sounded pretty weak IMHO.

Have you played one? The JP80 has the best acoustic sounds I ever heard on an electronic keyboard. Especially, orchestral sounds are phenomenal.
FGTH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that the K and the J cannot be compared. But I think if you can put them together, and combine their strenghts, it would make a killer set.

Many people who bashed the Jupiter because it wasn't what they wanted( a new version of the old Jupiter). But a closer look without prejudice sometimes brings a big surprise.

Personally, I would never judge an instruments strengths solely by videos, demos and even opinions. I rather wait and have the chance to PLAY and then draw my own conclusions and make decisions. I've seen a lot of people dismissing instruments when they are presented in events like NAMM, and latter when they go to a store to try it, everything changes.

In some cases, I needed to try it out more than once to make up my mind. Well, it was not the case with Kronos! Very Happy
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really have to play an instrument yourself to really appreciate what it can do, and having owned the kronos for a few weeks, i find that the demos don't do it full justice, you have to mess with it, and jam on it to see and hear it's full potential, and since the kronos is a workstation, and the 80 isn't, there really is no competition, kronos wins easily.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
Many of the J80 sounds sounded pretty weak IMHO.

Have you played one? The JP80 has the best acoustic sounds I ever heard on an electronic keyboard. Especially, orchestral sounds are phenomenal.

SN works really well on their pianos but not so great on their EPs, so I'm interested to hear how it is going to sound on the other acoustic sounds. The JP80 isn't really what I need, but it does seem like it's going to be a great stage synth for guys who need the broad range of sounds.

I wish they had done a more robust implementation of Articulative Phrasing for the JP80. If they had developed it for each type of instrument and allowed you to apply it to different sounds, that would be pretty amazing and a reason alone for me to by a JP80.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue that the Kronos and Jupiter 80 are for different purposes. Korg state very clearly that they intend with Kronos - a next-generation workstation for Live, Production and Sound Design.

Jupiter 80 is none of these things. But what it is - is a new synthesizer - and I emphasise the works synthesizer - in the true tradition of Roland. From their earliest attempts at 'modelling' through the likes of the legendary VP330, through to the exquisite VP550/770 and VG-Synth GT, Jupiter 80 is a synthesizer that's all about modelling - not modelling sounds but modelling the performance of sounds.

So this is a very deep synthesizer, of a kind not seen before (I own both the V-Synth GT and a Yamaha VL1 and JP80 is utterly different to even both of those).

So I would be very careful about making comparisons - the Jupiter 80 will squarely NOT deliver the plethora of bread-and-butter sounds that Kronos provides, now admirably; rather - Jupiter 80 is a performance synthesizer - so you had better be big into live playing and the most innovative sound design through performance to reap satisfaction from it.

I personally find it to be very exciting, and I'm delighted to see Roland at the cutting edge - even beyond the other two of the 'big three' in terms of raw innovation (as in - looking forward and into the future). Roland are alive and kicking - JP80 is an immense synthesizer - but it is not for everyone.

Kevin.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
From their earliest attempts at 'modelling' through the likes of the legendary VP330, through to the exquisite VP550/770 and VG-Synth GT, Jupiter 80 is a synthesizer that's all about modelling - not modelling sounds but modelling the performance of sounds.
Kevin.

I don't see anything about vocal processing on the Jupiter-80.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 1 of 69

Jump to: