Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets discuss Kronos BUILD QUALITY:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subpar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

songbird wrote:
this data wheel issue is blown out of proportion to be honest... yes, there is a problem with the data wheel... korg should have done better QA... blah blah... fine...
they acknowledged the issue and said they will fix it... the new wheels do not teleport... they have to be tested, and shipped etc. it takes time.. .few weeks to couple months, that is reality. there is nothing anyone can do to change that,. people have to accept that and move on...

the data wheel is not preventing people from making the music or enjoying the kronos. people who are not able to let go off that are doing harm to the company and the community...not to mention the harm and frustration they are causing themselves... so please take it easy... everyone will get the replacement when korg is ready...
for now, please enjoy the kronos...

for people who are researching the kronos to make it their next buy, this overblown issues will be confusing... it is giving an impression that it is a fully problematic KB, which it is not... so please do everyone a favor and stop the attack!!!

completely agree!!! couldnt have said it better myself. Once Korg came on, acknowledged the problem and the fix, we should move on. Now there is a thread with 8 pages and 3k+ views, not to mention the other multiple threads where this mentioned. Moving on now... Arrow Smile

Dustin
Aka Subpar
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
For me, RAM is one of the most important features of any keyboard. SST is a nice feature .... but I would have rather had a $25 additional Ram board installed ..or the option to do so.. in the empty slot on the motherboard that is already there. Instead we have to fight loading and unloading samples and then figure out what combis are affected. How are we supposed to edit, create and save new material? Isnt this a "Workstation"? There isnt even enough room to install Sharps Assault or anyone elses library w/o first unloading whats already there.?? What kind of development is that?? Strange how Korg could overlook such an important feature?? Maybe they want us to just plug it in and play it I guess>... Also the ability to change screen icon/font resolution ,, or zoom would have been better than having SST. The board isnt even a month old and its already got issues with software and hardware already? And for some, what I mentioned may not even be an issue...and thats great... Just Sayin'..........

My computer doesn't have enough memory to load every single application and file and website on the planet. I have to fight with loading the sites and emails I want when I boot up. [Apple|Dell|HP|Gateway|etc.] sucks! How did they overlook this obvious design flaw? What kind of development is that?
</facetiousness>

Seriously, though, what sampler loads, uh, everything? If Korg had simply decided to ship w/ less sounds, would you be happy?

"...anyone elses library..." would seem to be a little bit of an exaggeration, wouldn't you say? The Kronos ships w/ enough free memory to load the sample contents of most any of the samplers/romplers ever made. But why do that, when Korg has given us some of the best factory sounds that have ever been put into a hardware workstation (hell, the piano alone)?

You speak of this and other purported "issues" as though they are just a forehead slap and a cheap fix away from being solved. Do you really know what it might take to have the Kronos OS recognize more than 2GB of RAM? Or allow the user to change font size or zoom, like it's a browser or something (and then scroll...ugh)? I know I don't, and I really don't know how you could. I like Stephen Kay's idea of walking a mile in one's shoes or, "swimming in this pond" as he put it.

The Kronos that I own is not plagued with issues. It's the best instrument I've ever owned. I'm sorry that I practically take it personally when people attack it as though it sucks.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subpar wrote:

completely agree!!! couldnt have said it better myself. Once Korg came on, acknowledged the problem and the fix, we should move on. Now there is a thread with 8 pages and 3k+ views, not to mention the other multiple threads where this mentioned. Moving on now... Arrow Smile

And its not just threads on these forums....but this stuff gets picked up and really twisted on other forums. All in all...I think everyone who recently purchased and received their new KRONOS will agree, it is a spectacular keyboard in just about every way. You can argue the merits and pros and cons of just about any keyboard.....but KRONOS stands tall right now as the proud flagship product for Korg, and really leads the industry in this regard, and is clearly worthy of its stature. Letting it get around that its got a "build quality issue", simply because the first ever user to receive his unit and post up on these forums had an unfortunate, yet unique personal experience with his data wheel.....is just not cool for anyone here.

In the scope of what the KRONOS represents...this data wheel issue for a handful of users has been WAY over-blown. When you hear and see many of the first reviews of this spectacular keyboard...which is somewhat historic in its own right...overshadowed by focusing time and time again on people pulling off (or trying to pull off) the data wheel to "test the problem"....then things have gotten totally out of hand. It creates a self-fulfilling-prophecy, turning something tiny into something huge. And creating a "data wheel issue" where none would have existed (of significance) otherwise.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Subpar wrote:

And its not just threads on these forums....but this stuff gets picked up and really twisted on other forums. All in all...I think everyone who recently purchased and received their new KRONOS will agree, it is a spectacular keyboard in just about every way. You can argue the merits and pros and cons of just about any keyboard.....but KRONOS stands tall right now as the proud flagship product for Korg, and really leads the industry in this regard, and is clearly worthy of its stature. Letting it get around that its got a "build quality issue", simply because the first ever user to receive his unit and post up on these forums had an unfortunate, yet unique personal experience with his data wheel.....is just not cool for anyone here.

In the scope of what the KRONOS represents...this data wheel issue for a handful of users has been WAY over-blown. When you hear and see many of the first reviews of this spectacular keyboard...which is somewhat historic in its own right...overshadowed by focusing time and time again on people pulling off (or trying to pull off) the data wheel to "test the problem"....then things have gotten totally out of hand. It creates a self-fulfilling-prophecy, turning something tiny into something huge. And creating a "data wheel issue" where none would have existed (of significance) otherwise.

I agree with you 100%. Way overblown.

Its unfortunate there is a 1 poster here who referenced the data wheel photos and initial gripe, adds his "speculation" or "opinion", then reposts all that drama on numerous music forums.

I saw no practical value in that over reactive " Internet reporting " since I expected Korg to calmly address the data wheel for those who needed it addressed.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
I would pay for quality. I spent several thousand dollars for these keyboards. Adding an additional $50-$100 would be nothing.

It has been mentioned before that any specific component cost in manufacturing will impact the retail price by a factor of 3x-5x. Your $50-$100 in additional parts cost could have a price impact of up to $500 added cost at retail.

Companies like Korg do make hardware design decisions, and sometimes those decisions create problems. The important point is whether the manufacturer addresses problems, or simply ignores them.

It does take a little time for a company to validate problems and come up with solutions. I think Korg reacted very quickly to the data wheel problem.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The data wheel problem is blown out of proportion in part due to those bashing the Kronos owner(s) that are reporting the problem.

2. Reporting that there are issues with the data wheel are not attacks; these are facts. There are at least 9 members in the forum that has this problem. Korg has recognized the data wheel problem. When I receive a new data wheel, only then has it been addressed.

3. Kronos’ data wheel is not the same as the M3 or Triton. Both of these older Korg workstations used a better component and/or design. *If Korg used the same style component and/or design as their previous workstations, it would not translate into $500 added cost at retail. (*My opinion).
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
1. The data wheel problem is blown out of proportion in part due to those bashing the Kronos owner(s) that are reporting the problem.

I hardly think getting frustrated because people wouldn't accept that KORG people said they were fixing the problem are any more out of line than those ranting that the Kronos is crap because of a wheel issue, and refusing to listen to anyone but other complainers.

My opinion. Wink

Anyhow, I'm /thread
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
3. Kronos’ data wheel is not the same as the M3 or Triton. Both of these older Korg workstations used a better component and/or design. *If Korg used the same style component and/or design as their previous workstations, it would not translate into $500 added cost at retail. (*My opinion).

If the data wheel cost $100 more, and was made out of chromium steel and sat on a 1" thick metal shaft, it wouldn't be any better than what is on there *if* the tolerance between the two parts wasn't tight enough and it popped off during use. The only issue here is that, on a few units, the tolerance between two parts isn't tight enough where they fit together. That's it. It doesn't matter what the parts are on the M3 or Triton or any other keyboard, really. If their manufactured tolerance was off, they could pop off as well. The fact that they didn't, doesn't necessarily make them a better design. They just happen to fit properly.

jahrome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
jahrome wrote:

I hardly think getting frustrated because people wouldn't accept that KORG people said they were fixing the problem are any more out of line than those ranting that the Kronos is crap because of a wheel issue, and refusing to listen to anyone but other complainers.

My opinion. Wink

Anyhow, I'm /thread

From what I have read..I can't recall anyone saying Kronos is crap because of the data wheel issue. Kronos is an excellent workstation with a "crappy" data wheel. As an owner with this problem, what do I gain from listening to other forum members that don't have this problem..especially those that don't even own a Kronos? If the current data wheel design isn't flawed, then Korg could just send me another. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:

Those contribute for sure to adding fuel to the fire.
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
synthguy wrote:
jahrome wrote:

My opinion. Wink

Anyhow, I'm /thread

From what I have read..I can't recall anyone saying Kronos is crap because of the data wheel issue. Kronos is an excellent workstation with a "crappy" data wheel. As an owner with this problem, what do I gain from listening to other forum members that don't have this problem..especially those that don't even own a Kronos? If the current data wheel design isn't flawed, then Korg could just send me another. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jahrome, I can't speak for everybody, but I think that synthguy is probably right. Ever since you first identified a problem with some of the data wheels, there have been people on here making a huge deal of it on multiple threads (a pet peeve of mine) when most didn't know what they were talking about. I didn't 'bash' anybody though, because you had identified a problem, and it needed to be addressed, even if I thought there was a lot of impatience.

Then the answer came, and I thought that the complaints about the data wheel would stop. They didn't. I still didn't say anything, because I accepted that people are frustrated. Also, one of the main reasons I didn't say anything is because of the respect I have for you as a valuable contributor to these forums.

You have to realise that this is frustrating for those of us who don't have a Kronos too. When you really want a board, and it feels like every other thread is hijacked with data wheel complaints (an exaggeration, I know), that's frustrating. As I said before, most of us would gladly put up with a dodgy data wheel that we knew was going to be fixed, if it meant that we could have a Kronos now.

I honestly don't think there's been much 'bashing' going on here. There have been one or two 'just shut up about it' comments, but I think most have been fairly reasonable. Most of us have held off saying anything for a while, but it does get wearing reading the same complaints over and over.

Let's talk Korg and not pick fights. Peace.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
...The only issue here is that, on a few units, the tolerance between two parts isn't tight enough where they fit together. That's it. It doesn't matter what the parts are on the M3 or Triton or any other keyboard, really. If their manufactured tolerance was off, they could pop off as well. The fact that they didn't, doesn't necessarily make them a better design. They just happen to fit properly.

Nothing you say will change anything. Your continued responses to this subject just prolongs the thread. You can talk your way around the subject as much as you like. Kronos' data wheel is not up to the standard as the M3 and Triton Studio. Then you keep talking about a "few units." Last time I checked, you were not in Japan overseeing the manufacturing process.

@dangerousdave
No disrespect...but who are you to determine whether I am being impatient? The fact is, when I reported my problem...I received no support. The only thing I heard was other Kronos owners didn't have the same problem. Then a few weeks later, my 2nd Kronos arrived which had the same problem. I only received a response from Korg when other started reporting the same problem in numerous threads.
drchris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahrome,

When you first got your Kronos, you were posting some really interesting things about what you were learning about it and doing with it. Unfortunately the whole conversation has become all about the data wheel. (I'm not identifying fault, just noting that this is one of the main things I read about on the board these days.)

Those of us who are still waiting on our Kronos boards would love to hear more about what you're doing with your Kronos and other things that you've learned about it! Any cool new stuff happening? (That may deserve a new thread...) We'd love to hear more!

Chris
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very respectfully "chiming in" here, as I have no wish to pick fights with anybody.
However it does have to be said that from an outsider's view (I'm still waiting for my Kronos in the UK) -

1. Jahrome has bought 2 Kronos - both have a data-wheel issues. As have other Kronos purchasers
2. He/they logged complaints with Korg.
3. Korg HAVE acknowledged that there is an issue and it's being sorted.
4. Korg haven't exactly been swift with the communication aspect of this (coming from a UK user, that's being subtle!) however, in their defence, they HAD to have time to get to the root of the issue.
After all, the reports could have been from stupid idiots breaking their new keyboards. *Disclaimer: I'm not calling Jahrome or other sufferers "idiots", but there's a "fraternity" out there that would take advantage of the situation. Korg have obviously investigated the manufacturing issue and are taking steps to rectify it.
5. At the same time (if not beforehand), Rich F notifies the Korg forums that the issue is being dealt with. Without putting words in his mouth, he wouldn't have had the authority to tell "us" if Korg hadn't given him the say so.
6. Taking into account the state of Japan right now, it WILL take time to sort this issue - anyone who thinks that Korg will just dive into the parts bin with a file and sellotape is being VERY naive and UNJUSTIFIABLY impatient.

This is a plea to all those who do have data-wheel issues:-

FFS give it a rest - we ALL know you have an issue, but Korg are sorting it. It will take time, but it's being sorted. They have said so.
If you don't like the response, return your keyboard and get a replacement, or buy something else.
In the meantime, enjoy the keyboard and appreciate it for all it is and does. AND tell us about the good things!! Laughing

You're already in an enviable position that a great many worldwide users would give something valuable to be in.

Dan

*edited to add the "tell us about the good things" - thought it would be obvious, but just in case Wink
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. I WISH I had data wheel issues! Razz
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: