Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excluding Samples from Preload?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Excluding Samples from Preload? Reply with quote

OK, I'm starting to load my own samples into the Kronos for gigging. I need some RAM space and would like to NOT load the drum libraries. Has anybody figured out how to do that yet? There doesn't seem to be an option to include/exclude various "expansions" like there was on the M3.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the OASYS there's the option not to load the EXs1, EXs2 and /or the EXs3 (if installed) libraries.

It was in Global - bacis tab, then top-right drop down, select expansion sample setup.

You can then uncheck sample libraries to prevent them from loading.

Possibly the same approach in the Kronos?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
On the OASYS there's the option not to load the EXs1, EXs2 and /or the EXs3 (if installed) libraries.

It was in Global - bacis tab, then top-right drop down, select expansion sample setup.

You can then uncheck sample libraries to prevent them from loading.

Possibly the same approach in the Kronos?

Thanks for the quick reply...

There's no menu item like that there. There is a KSC Auto-Load tab that currently only has the PRELOAD.KSC file in the list. I wonder if I can uncheck that and individually add the libraries I want...trying that now.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's pretty easy to do. Global/basic/KSC Auto-Load is where it happens. The "preload.ksc" file has the factory samples. If you uncheck that and then go into EXs_Extras, all of the preload sample libraries plus one additional bank are contained there...simply select the one(s) you want and "Add" to get them preloaded. The one extra library that is not preloaded is called EXs2 Concert Grand (was this the OASYS piano?).

By default, preload.ksc will load:

EXs1 ROM Expansion
EXs3 Brass & Woodwinds
EXs4 Vintage Keyboards
EXs5 ROM Expansion 2
EXs6 & 7 German and Japanese grands
EXs8 & 9 Rock and Jazz drums

Preload left 148MB for user samples. After removing the drums and rebooting, I had only 62MB free. LOL...how did that happen? I'll be back once I figure that one out. Smile
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

EXs1 ROM Expansion
EXs3 Brass & Woodwinds
EXs4 Vintage Keyboards
EXs5 ROM Expansion 2

What if you don't want to load, for example, the entire EXs4 set, but you want just, say, 3 sounds from it? Can you make a "copy" of the EXs4 set, delete everything you don't want, and then autoload a much smaller version of the EXs4 that has just the few sounds you want? Or maybe create a new set of your own, I'll call it EXme, and "copy" into it the programs and combis you like from EXs4, and have it automatically bring the associated samples as well? Or is there some other approach toward accomplishing this kind of task? I have a feeling I've read about this before, but I'm blanking as to whether I ever saw an answer...
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
BillW wrote:

EXs1 ROM Expansion
EXs3 Brass & Woodwinds
EXs4 Vintage Keyboards
EXs5 ROM Expansion 2

What if you don't want to load, for example, the entire EXs4 set, but you want just, say, 3 sounds from it? Can you make a "copy" of the EXs4 set, delete everything you don't want, and then autoload a much smaller version of the EXs4 that has just the few sounds you want? Or maybe create a new set of your own, I'll call it EXme, and "copy" into it the programs and combis you like from EXs4, and have it automatically bring the associated samples as well? Or is there some other approach toward accomplishing this kind of task? I have a feeling I've read about this before, but I'm blanking as to whether I ever saw an answer...

That sounds logical, but I just don't know the answer. I still haven't figured out why, after removing 2 sizable drum libraries, I have less free RAM than before.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
Preload left 148MB for user samples. After removing the drums and rebooting, I had only 62MB free. LOL...how did that happen? I'll be back once I figure that one out. Smile

Now THIS is bloody weird. I'd like some explanations, too. How can you REMOVE a library from preload and end up with LESS available free RAM? RichF? Danatkorg? Inquiring minds want to know! Question
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billw wrote:

That sounds logical, but I just don't know the answer. I still haven't figured out why, after removing 2 sizable drum libraries, I have less free RAM than before.

Did you reproduce it ?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
billw wrote:

Did you reproduce it ?

I tried the same thing twice and got the same result. I'm sure Korg will enlighten us eventually on how to manage the loading and unloading of these libraries. I've gone back to using the preload.pcg for now.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx bill
JimH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but possibly some library that was getting streamed before is now getting entirely loaded into RAM.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH wrote:
Just a guess, but possibly some library that was getting streamed before is now getting entirely loaded into RAM.

I thought that might be the case, but I can see the RAM vs. streamed figures by switching the load option and the pianos look like they're still streaming. We're in the middle of a thunderstorm so I had to stop playing with my Kronos. Sad
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you did, Bill, as you don't actually describe the step you took. Try this:

Delete/unload all the samples in memory, or set nothing checked on for auto-load and then turn the Kronos off. Give it a moment and turn it back on.

Once booted you should NOT have the new pianos, drums etc.

Now go to Disk Mode and Open the preload.ksc folder. Now you can Multiple Select and choose EXs-1 through 7 for example and you load that. You get everything except the Drums. And now you WILL show more Sample RAM available.

Confirm that this works for you.

I am running a non-production unit with some different files names etc. so I can't be sure to give exact help for the final units. But the methods haven't changed, just the final names of files and perhaps some additional content.

Regards,

Jerry
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
Not sure what you did, Bill, as you don't actually describe the step you took. Try this:

Delete/unload all the samples in memory, or set nothing checked on for auto-load and then turn the Kronos off. Give it a moment and turn it back on.

Once booted you should NOT have the new pianos, drums etc.

Now go to Disk Mode and Open the preload.ksc folder. Now you can Multiple Select and choose EXs-1 through 7 for example and you load that. You get everything except the Drums. And now you WILL show more Sample RAM available.

Confirm that this works for you.

I am running a non-production unit with some different files names etc. so I can't be sure to give exact help for the final units. But the methods haven't changed, just the final names of files and perhaps some additional content.

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. Yes, that does work and I now have 425MB of RAM free. I'm not sure what to do next though. If I reboot now, the EXs libraries will no longer preload because I have that unchecked. I would like to permanently exclude the drums from the preload but have my samples and the other EXs libraries load automatically. Any ideas?

Bill
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill:

Well here's where I'm not sure the state of my data is the same as preload SSD's. But in Global Mode on the KSC Auto-Load page you should have separate ksc files for each of the EXs libraries (1-9). If not you can add them using the Add KSC button on the lower left. Set up your unit to preload the ones that you want for now. Later when you add and then save your custom samples you'll be making another KSC file of your own and you can add it to this list and check it to have it load along with the Factory KSC files of your choosing.

Follow me?

Regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: