Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MusicRadar Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldphinga wrote:
PS..here's a video i made of the EP5 model..
http://www.youtube.com/user/goldphinga?feature=mhee#p/u/9/-AQQy1sKIXg

Dan, is it my imagination or did I hear clattery/noisy keys behind the music itself. Nice playing by the way.
goldphinga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
goldphinga wrote:

Dan, is it my imagination or did I hear clattery/noisy keys behind the music itself. Nice playing by the way.

Thanks man! Nah the keys on the 61 are great, not noisy-it's exactly the same keybed as on the M3. Tried them side by side.. Cool
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough goldphinga - I have not read that review.

Perhaps this radar review would have benefitted from that input given that the sequencer is listed as a 'pro' - although, if as you assess, it's a pain to use, should that be a 'con'?

By the way, I am neutral on the subject of sequencers as I rarely use them - and when I do, certainly not to the depth that others on this forum dig down to... So I'm not bothered one or the other whether it's good or brilliant.

By the way, this forum is the only source of my Korg information - that and experience of 30 years use of Korg's instruments. This forum membership (more experienced than me on such things) advises that the M3 seq is better, the O is weaker and the brand new K neither improves on the O, nor takes the improvements from the M3.. But you didn't appear to know that.

FYI - As an OASYS owner I've got a pretty good idea of what the K sequencer can do and so am happy enough to know that.

Last edited by cello on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldphinga wrote:
Thanks man! Nah the keys on the 61 are great, not noisy-it's exactly the same keybed as on the M3. Tried them side by side.. Cool

Strange, because I'm sure I can hear some mechanical sounds as the keys are depressed. This has been mentioned on other threads regarding other K61 video demos.
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, thanks for coming here and interacting with us - it's good to know that you are a real person (sorry my original post suggests that there's a distinction between 'real people' and reviewers).

Cello, I think it's a bit unfair to suggest that listing the sequencer as a pro shows a lack of research. It all depends what you're used to, and not everybody reading the review will have owned a workstation before (or have spent the ridiculous amount of time that most of us have on these forums!)
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
Dan, thanks for coming here and interacting with us - it's good to know that you are a real person (sorry my original post suggests that there's a distinction between 'real people' and reviewers).

Cello, I think it's a bit unfair to suggest that listing the sequencer as a pro shows a lack of research. It all depends what you're used to, and not everybody reading the review will have owned a workstation before (or have spent the ridiculous amount of time that most of us have on these forums!)

Hi there DD - fair point. But as has been revealed in golphinga's posts is that (s)he thinks it's a pain to use, so why is it a pro just because it has one? Does that not strike you as a bit misleading? Therein lies my point - had these forums been searched I doubt that simply having one is a compelling pro, given the many views expressed here!

I'm not wanting to stir anything up or troll about it. Just posting how the review struck me. The Kronos is a fantastic machine as we all know. I just think there are other more compelling pros than having a built in sequencer... that's all!
biggrime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
dangerousdave wrote:

Hi there DD - fair point. But as has been revealed in golphinga's posts is that (s)he thinks it's a pain to use, so why is it a pro just because it has one? Does that not strike you as a bit misleading? Therein lies my point - had these forums been searched I doubt that simply having one is a compelling pro, given the many views expressed here!

I'm not wanting to stir anything up or troll about it. Just posting how the review struck me. The Kronos is a fantastic machine as we all know. I just think there are other more compelling pros than having a built in sequencer... that's all!

as a M3 owner interested in getting Kronos. I use the M3 100%. The cue list feature is a big deal for me. Kronos is not going to have that feature or something like it? If not that might be a deal breaker for me

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I'm not particularly interested in the sequencer either, but I'd rather have it there than not. In that respect, it's a pro. I'd agree that there are more significant pros, certainly as far as I'm concerned, but we all have different priorities.

I'm not suggesting that you're trolling at all. I linked to the review because, like most of us here (at least those who don't yet have a Kronos), I like to read anything I can about the Kronos. Dan has helped feed my addiction, so I'm grateful to him. Now he's come here to discuss it further. He's new to these forums, and I hope that the impression he takes away is of a community that appreciates his contribution (whether or not we all see things as he does).
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent and valid point dd.

@ goldphinga - I'm sorry if we've got a off to a bad start! No offence intended. Nothing wrong with a little practical debate! You are warmly welcomed to KF by all and as per dd's suggestion above, I don't want you to take away the wrong impression.

Perhaps your article has been over-edited? There's no mention of the sequencer in the narrative, although it's highlighted as a pro - perhaps something could be added to make the whole (edited) piece more cohesive? (like that it's got 16 tracks sequencer that can accept audio input as well as onboard sounds and/or higher resolution than previous versions? - something like that)
goldphinga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Excellent and valid point dd.

@ goldphinga - I'm sorry if we've got a off to a bad start! No offence intended. Nothing wrong with a little practical debate! You are warmly welcomed to KF by all and as per dd's suggestion above, I don't want you to take away the wrong impression.

Perhaps your article has been over-edited? There's no mention of the sequencer in the narrative, although it's highlighted as a pro - perhaps something could be added to make the whole (edited) piece more cohesive? (like that it's got 16 tracks sequencer that can accept audio input as well as onboard sounds and/or higher resolution than previous versions? - something like that)

It's all good man, no worries! The full article in Future Music is how i intended it to be so hopefully that will be more what you're after. Editing for the web is something i don't have a part in,but sometimes it can change the whole feel of a review which is unfortunate. In fact the Future articles don't have a pros/cons box, just highlights. It's also a real challenge to review something like the Kronos in just 2000 words and i have to cover the basic features in there for those that aren't up to speed
with the specs, as well as give a balanced opinion on the good and bad but i really love doing this work and do hope you find what i write informative on the whole. Smile
yellowchops

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldphinga wrote:
cello wrote:
goldphinga wrote:
EXer wrote:
goldphinga wrote:
If you read what i wrote properly you'll see it's a very balanced review showing both pros and cons, i talk about all the engines, how they sound, features and what the Kronos can do plus i compared the the Kronos to my MS20 too plus talked about all the ups and downs of the board.

The review missed a big con: it says nothing about the fact that the M3 sequencer is the old version of the Oasys and not the updated version of the M3.

So what are you saying? The Kronos has an inferior sequencer to the M3?

If you seach the OASYS topic, then the M3 topic then you will get your answer. OASYS topic relevant because other than a couple of tweeks (eg higher resolution), the Kronos sequencer = the OASYS sequencer.

M3 had improvements implemented over the OASYS seq.

All subjective and depends entirely on how you use a workstation sequencer, but to say that a 'pro' is that the Kronos has a sequencer is similat to saying a 'pro' for the new Ferrari is that it has a steering wheel...

Not much info or research evident, if you read such a statement. You would immediately wonder - well, what's good about it? Is it better than previous? Is it not as good as previous? Anything ground breaking about it all?

As I said, your answers are all in these forums...

If you read the Future Review which is my full review you'll see there is a whole box on the sequencer and how it's a pain in the backside to use, it should have had a mouse input and daw functionality and how the arrange window dupes you into thinking it's a daw style sequencer when in fact it isn't. -you answered your own question anyway plus as has already been said there is limited space to cover everything every person wants to read. Smile

I second this...with the Kronos there's so much inside this keyboard that there will inevitably be some question or area that is not covered that some reader is interested in.
yellowchops

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
goldphinga wrote:

Very nice playing! Sounds like you're a jazz/funk player?
Oboemd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: MusicRadar Review Reply with quote

Good review. We expect workstation to have sequencers, but of course many good non-workstation keyboards do not. Great example, roland Jupiter 80, many others have very limited functions. Kronos would be a great keyboard without the sequencer, and many users will never utilize it, that's why it is a "pro". I own both M3 and Oaysys , but I prefer working with the O's sequencer. The monitor makes work flow easier and I don't use the piano roll or new editing features of the M3. The higher seq ppq resolution of the Kronos over the Oasys is a welcome improvement. The ability to record 16 trakcs of audio, up to 4 tracks at a time is an asset.
I know the machine specs, I appreciate the opinions on sounds, playability, user interface etc. I am not impressed with Oasys' accoustic piano and strings, opinion on these was greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: