Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice needed re- old sg1d midi capability with kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightstrum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: advice needed re- old sg1d midi capability with kronos Reply with quote

Hi guys, new to the forum, though I have been following it for months. Now that Kronos is available I want to purchase a 61 because of portability reasons. I have an 88 key sg1d bought new many years ago that I learned on and love the action. Will it work as a weighted keyboard midi wise to the Kronos? WIll it transmit what is needed to get all the good stuff out of the new engine? Please excuse my ignorance as I am mainly a guitar player, but want the Kronos for composing. Thanks, Scott
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Korg SG1d brochure online and it should work fine.

The SG1d should transmit midi data out its MIDI Out port on Midi Channel 1. When connected to the Kronos Midi IN port, the Kronos sound engine should receive that Midi Channel 1 data just as if it was being played on the Kronos keyboard itself.

Given digital pianos are fairly simple, you can probably also connect a damper pedal to your SG1d and its midi data will also be transmitted to the Kronos.

There really isn't anything special about the Kronos in terms of midi data setup. Most all synths/workstations are setup with the default "global midi channel" set to Midi channel 1.

You should be able test out your SG1d with any other synth. Connect your SG1d with a midi cable from its MIDI Out Port into the MIDI IN port of the receiving synth. Set the receiving synth to its Program/Patch (single sound) playing mode. Play a note on the receiving keyboard. Play a note on your Sg1d. It should sound the same sound. If it works on another keyboard, it will work with the Kronos.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you'll miss probably is release velocity. AFAIK the SG1X benefits from release velocity for some of the mechanical noises.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ldascanio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
The only thing you'll miss probably is release velocity. AFAIK the SG1X benefits from release velocity for some of the mechanical noises.

I couldn't find a brochure with specs but maybe half-damper capability is other thing that could be not supported in this old keyboard.

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would not prevent from using the kbd of the SG to play the Kronos. It would be enough to plug the pedal into the Kronos directly.
ldascanio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
That would not prevent from using the kbd of the SG to play the Kronos. It would be enough to plug the pedal into the Kronos directly.

That's a valid solition if the Kronos is the only slave device controlled by the SG. If not, IMHO there is still some advantage having the pedal conected directly to the master controller.

Rgds
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: