Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question about Computer desktop Screenshot quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Photography and Graphic Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: A question about Computer desktop Screenshot quality Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

OK, I know so little about digital photography and Pic editing in general. I'm trying to make some quality screenshots for my website. I'm using the latest version of "Snag It" to capture the screen. My question is, what settings contribute to getting a High resolution screen shot?

Here's an example of a pro tools session:

I'm not happy with the quality. I'm sure there's a way to do a better job.

X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true full-screen screenshot should be at exactly the same resolution & quality of your screen because it should take the image straight from the screen buffer.

From there:
-don't reduce the resolution unless you need to (i.e. 'scale' the image), only crop
-If your image doesn't include any detailed photography or other elements with many colours, use a PNG file format.

JPEG works by tessellating shapes, which works okay for busy photographs but you loose edge-definition. PNG is more like a bitmap (and I like it for other reasons like supporting alpha channel) but most importantly it uses a colour table, so the less colours used in your image the smaller the file size! most GUI graphics consist of a limited number of colours so this generally works okay for screenshots of program windows, etc.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sreen caps are at (roughly) 72dpi. You can increase the dpi in photoshop to say 150. But on a website (which is on screen so it's 72dpi) will not be able to display 150 dpi in better quality - it will just want to display at double the size...

PNG advice is good from X-Trade.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the response,
I gotta think about what you said first, before i ask another question.

What do you think about the screenshot I made? What would you call the quality of the pic? A low res? Average?

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents, your using the wrong file format. JPG by design will try blend pixels together which in turn leaves you with an image that's not so sharp. Text can look very fuzzy.

Screen shots with text are normally best when saved as PNG files. This will produce razor sharp images, and there are still keep the files sizes down too by using pallet based options when saving the png.

Regards
Sharp.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks a lot. I'm definitely going to save the pic with .PNG format. I just didn't know what the .PNG format was.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Photography and Graphic Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: