Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What plans do you have for kornos in you setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: What plans do you have for kornos in you setup Reply with quote

Another question - I'm getting curious as to how the Kronos will slot into your setup (hope to learn a little from you too) - so how will Kronon serve you? -

In your live set up?

In your studio environment?

As a 'synth suite' plugin?

As a master controller?

As a stage piano

It'd be interesting to get a sense of how Kronos will be set up amongst the users here.

Actually - for me - I'll probably delay a few months in getting one - few other necessary purchases have cropped up - but even though I own a very extensive setup already; I'm contemplating purchasing a Kronos 88 and Jupiter 80 and routing the JP80 into the Kronos via midi and audio; and have it as a completely separate set up; performing all recording on the Kronos sequencer. It would be wonderful to have the very pinnacle of current synthesis work as one self contained unit; and then drive a personal recording project on it to see how well it can sound. A very costly experiment I know and believe me I’m not rich and will starve if I fork out for that - but I'm feeling it'd be a fantastic one off opportunity to generate pieces form such stunning and contemporary keyboards. I'm also looking/planning to do an outdoor concert of electronic music to space imagery in the stunning Blackrock Castle Observatory (www.bco.ie) in Cork, Ireland in 2012,; and these two keyboards would form the basis of the performance set up.

So let us know what you plans for Kronos in your setup are.

Cheers,
Kevin.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plan to use the K61 as my main kboard replacing the Casio WK3000 which was my 76 key midi controller. I will be keeping the M3M as well. Should be a very interesting combo. It has a radias card and extra ram.

Routing through the K61 to one of about 5 PCs running Windows 64 on several.

NI Kore 1, Maschine (the pads are brilliant and should compliment the K61) NI Traktor X1, Behringer B-Control, Behringer FCB 1010, Roland SH32, Roland VG-99 and Roland VS-880 EX, NI Audo 4DJ. NI Guitar Rig 2, Komplete 7, Cakewalk Sonar X1, Live 8, Acid Pro 7, FL Studio 10, ION Drum Kit etc
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,
I'm thinking of joining a band after an abscence of 20yrs from playing in bands...but I'll think about that, i remember all the arguements, and at my age i cant be bothered with that anymore Smile

The Kronos 88 will definately be setup in my music room atop of my Oasys 88...I use synths for on the spot inprovisations. I'll have a lot more power available to me now combining the two synths especailly with orchestral improvs whereby there wont be much of an issue with note stealing problems. I'll be using the O88 for my left hand parts and the K88 for the right hand parts.

I'll also be able to combine left hand orchestral arrangements with right hand synth solo work...this will be a very powerfull set up for me. I'll be able to do avante garde work too, experimenting with the different synth engines and developing crazy harmonic structures.

I've been thinking about the Jupiter 80, but I think i will wait till NAMM 2012...isnt Roland due for a new synth? The fantom G has had its 3yrs? I'm thinking the G replacement will incorporate all the JP80 stuff and more, hopefully a fully blown V-Piano in it toooooo lol So, im holding off on the jupiter.

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Mutter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wanted a good stage piano for a while but realy i have several problems i hope to solve with kronos

in my studio which has a large stage, I have many instruments that i don't use that often ( hammond b3, rhodes, cp-70, memorymoog,) I most often play a oasys 76 faceing in on stage right with the cp70 to my right and have tried diffrent synths on top of the cp70, curently the moog but i am most at home on the oasys the b3 is further back on the same side and rarely gets used this stuff is all to big and heavy for me to move even the oasys is 100 pounds in a hard case

i am thinking of changeing out the oasys 76 to a kronos 88 and a kronos 61 to cary around or take in the house i plan on using a soft bag to move it and keep it with me more often the 61 is already on the way from zzounds.

it's my plan right now to sell the oasys and go with the k-88 but i could change my mind

i am in the process of forming a new band and want to pratice and play live with the same basic setup and

I need to learn how to post pictures to help explain! Jerry.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a relatively compact, mostly analog, computer-free home studio. The Kronos will be the centerpiece (replacing the M50, which I sold several months ago). I'll use it for all MIDI sequencing duties, and its 16 audio tracks will supplement my D3200 (giving me 32 audio tracks at 24/48 -- pretty sure that'll be enough for my needs). So it will be used in large part to drive my analogs (both through standard sequencing and with KARMA -- I can't WAIT to hear my old beasts driven by KARMA madness!). It will be the only digital synth in my arsenal. In terms of sounds, I imagine that I will use it mainly for piano (crucial for many of my compositions) and FM sounds; perhaps STR-1, too.

In a nutshell, I'm buying the big K. mainly for its piano, MOD-7, KARMA, and sequencing/audio capabilities. Everything else is icing on the cake.*

* And that's a HELL of a lot of icing!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all 5 Laughing

In a band - using K2000/XP30 & Mainstage 2 at the present. Want to move away from Mainstage if poss. Will replace both keys with Kronos and probably my DX7s!! (using the DX as a controller for sounds of Kronos)

Studio, can always do with another synth or 2 (look at my sig for kit list)

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main goal is to use it as main keyboard at my live setup (together with my Triton Extreme). The Karma should then replace the M50. Except for the better sound quality it has aftertouch, more realtime controls and a decent power supply.

Currently I use the Extreme only as MIDI (slave) keyboard; maybe I am going to add it as sound source too, but then I will need a small mixer maybe.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I've been thinking about the Jupiter 80, but I think i will wait till NAMM 2012...isnt Roland due for a new synth? The fantom G has had its 3yrs? I'm thinking the G replacement will incorporate all the JP80 stuff and more, hopefully a fully blown V-Piano in it toooooo lol So, im holding off on the jupiter.

Regards
Billy

That's a fair point Billy - you are correct in that the Kronos has surely pushed the likes of Roland to compete with an improved workstation which may indeed contain v-piano and enhanced supernatural features. the plot thickens...
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home studio use, no gigging - though I do get together with friends and play. I compose for fun, and sometimes a little money - but I am not a professional. Currently have a Yamaha P120 88 digital piano as my main board, and run software instruments such as Kore and Komplete on a laptop. The Kronos 61 is perfect for me because it gives me awesome sound and capability with excellent portability (no more lugging an 88 and laptop to a friends pool party) and will work very nicely on the tier above my 88 in my home studio. I am very frustrated with software instruments at the moment, mostly because my laptop is so underpowered. My choice was to buy a new laptop, or get the Kronos - I think I made the right decision Smile

Last edited by MidnightPackage on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slave to my Kurzweil PC3K8. Smile
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall be using a K73 primarily in my covers/function band. It will replace my current M3-88 and will sit below a Roland Fantom X7. I was considering going down the route of using VSTs on stage and toyed with a Muse Receptor (now sold), then an SMPro Audio V-Machine (will probably sell) and even custom built a rackmount touchscreen PC to fit the M3-MAT tray used to mount a Radias rack on an M3 (turned out to be too heavy for gigging, and again, I will probably sell it)... the Kronos' 9 engines cover all the bases I was intending to use VSTs for and I'm much more comfortable using something like a Kronos on stage than I am a general purpose computer. However, I'm still thinking of using a Tablet PC on stage running the EigenD software so that I can hook up my EigenHarp Pico to the Kronos.
robinkle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will use Kronos in my home studio only.
It will be integrated with Logic on my Mac and it will be my daw controller.
I will use a separate sound card. That worked fine with Access Virus TI, so I hope it works just as well with Kronos.
I already have a semi weighted M-Audio controller keyboard, which I will place on top of my studio desk in front of the Computer Monitors, and I will have the Kronos 73 on the drawer below the desk. I designed my own studio desk for this.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
I shall be using a K73 primarily in my covers/function band. It will replace my current M3-88 and will sit below a Roland Fantom X7. I was considering going down the route of using VSTs on stage and toyed with a Muse Receptor (now sold), then an SMPro Audio V-Machine (will probably sell) and even custom built a rackmount touchscreen PC to fit the M3-MAT tray used to mount a Radias rack on an M3 (turned out to be too heavy for gigging, and again, I will probably sell it)... the Kronos' 9 engines cover all the bases I was intending to use VSTs for and I'm much more comfortable using something like a Kronos on stage than I am a general purpose computer. However, I'm still thinking of using a Tablet PC on stage running the EigenD software so that I can hook up my EigenHarp Pico to the Kronos.

Out of curiosity - why the K73 and not the K88?

I must admit - the Muse Receptor is an interesting product given the current power under the hood and vast range of VST's. any idea what the latency is like at high voice counts?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos 61 will eventually replace the Fantom G6 as my gigging keyboard. First, I have to program/arrange sounds for 50 songs...I expect that will take a while. In the meantime, I might bring both boards to some shows and just use the Kronos for organ (one thing the G6 does rather poorly).
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos will replace a Fantom X8 & be the centerpiece of my studio controlling XK3C, FS1R, JD990, Z4 and EX5R. Seq/record in Logic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: