Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What sound design / programming are you planning for Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: What sound design / programming are you planning for Kronos? Reply with quote

Through OASYS and extending on Kronos, I'm building a personal library based on AL-1, MS20EX, STR-1 and MOD-7.

That are you planning at this stage?

Kevin.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm already pretty well covered in the analog department, so the engine I really plan to sink my teeth into first is MOD-7. I know next to nothing about FM programming, so I realize it will be a tall order to really get my head around it. Can't wait to get started!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy just to get the keyboard for the time-being, with a view to having a delve as I can...... probably some tweaking to start with..
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being presumptuous or sounding preachy, it'd be great if some new programs arise from the Kronos synth engines and shared on this forum - I've always missed the lack of programming by others on the OASYS mostly because so few were sold and because it's very deep - so I hope that with more Kronos' sold that great new programs becomes available - either to share or to sell.

Here's the way I look on it - a 1000+ page, massively detailed, manual can only be considered as a gold mine for creative sound designers. It's even a business opportunity! I'm currently digging really deep into the MS20EX, STR-1 and MOD-7 guides because they represent virgin territory that virtually nobody else has explored. And I don't mind admitting that in a year or so if I have some superlative sound banks programmed I'll look to sell them (if they are good enough and I'll keep a high bar on that) - and I also respectfully suggest here that anyone with a business head on their shoulders should surely also look at the Kronos parameter guide as a business opportunity to learn some really cool features that virtually no Kronos user is aware of, program them and then share them or even sell them!

A good parallel example is Native Iinstruments with thousands of application for Reacktor and the best of them even sold by NI in partnership with developers. Kronos is not quite that, but it is a vast programming environment; so overall I really hope that hugely more new programs, combi's and even effects presets and Karma GE's appear for free sharing and for sale.

Kevin.
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly planning to work on combi of songs I've learned and some custom combis and programs like I did on my Karma. With Kronos, I'm sure I will doing more programs because the touch screen and the control surface will ease programming.

As for programming sounds, I intend to go deep into each engine and maybe doing tutorial videos.

I'm thinking about porting calmar DT collection for Kronos users too.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Quote:
It'd be great if some new programs arise from the Kronos synth engines and shared on this forum - I've always missed the lack of programming by others on the OASYS mostly because so few were sold and because it's very deep - so I hope that with more Kronos' sold that great new programs becomes available - either to share or to sell.

Yeah!!! +1!!!

I'm also hoping Sharp finds a way/will/partnerships to open a storefront with this site. Having a centralized place to buy/locate free and for sale sounds/etc. is a great way of building community.

Randy
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the site has a location for patches, both for free and for sale.

Kevin, I'm intending to delve deeply into the seven programmable engines - though the CX-3 not so much. Wink

As a synthesist and sound designer hobbyist, I'm going to be searching for new sonic landscapes, like Wendy Carlos and my hero Isao Tomita did. Tomita in particular discovered just about every class and kind of sound you could make on his Moog Modular III way back in the early 70s of the previous millennium. Even with the high powered or obscure synths of today, it's really hard to come across some sonic texture he hadn't used first on one of his recordings decades ago. Of course, I'm not going to be as prolific, ingenious or adventurous. I'm also not going to share anything, but then if you know much about classic synthesis, I doubt you'd have much trouble getting one of my better sounds on your own. Wink

And likewise, I'm not so sure I'm going to be culling for patch banks from here either. I did get a few in the past, and listened to just a couple of patches, then went merrily on programming my own sounds after all. The Kronos may be a different matter though, because I'll finally have something as powerful as it gets. And if someone finds a magic sound, I'll be wanting to know how they got there, so I can use the knowledge to go in my own directions.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will jump right on to MOD-7 for FM sounds in combination with STR-1.
And do AL-1, PolySix and HD-1 programming. I would like to make drum kit's also.

Last edited by robinkle on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main priority for me is to 'convert' all combis to Kronos Combis, and setting up the set lists for the sets I play in the band.

After that I will probably check the CX3 because that's where I hope to get the most improvements (using a Hammond sound a lot). the MOD7 seems most interesting to me to explore.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gjvti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What sound design / programming are you planning for Kro Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Through OASYS and extending on Kronos, I'm building a personal library based on AL-1, MS20EX, STR-1 and MOD-7.

That are you planning at this stage?

Kevin.

Mod7 and STR-1 look most interesting for programming, but as I see it - Kronos developers do not much welcome user patch programming, because, as discussed in other thread, Kronos has only 128 free locations for user programs (U-G bank), what is enough for start, but could turn to slots shortage quickly, since there is no reasonable way to determine which of filled user program slots are not used in combis and can be modified or deleted. As on M3 I see rather great potential programming kombis on Kronos - that must be really exciting!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an earlier synth (I think it was the Korg N264 or X5) I have written a program to show which programs are used by which combis.

I think it might be worthwhile to recreate such program on the Kronos too. However I would need some PCG content info and I know (by experience) Korg is quite reluctant to share information about it.

I don't think I have that program anymore but the output looked like:

Prg Used in Combis:
A00 B01 C02 D03 D05 D08 D99 ...
A01 B02 C03 D04 ...

and a list of programs 'really' used in Combis (i.e. which are enabled)

Cmb Used Programs
A00 B04 B06 D08
A01 D02 C03 D10 G127
A02 ...

Would someone be interested in such a program?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
panrixx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the answer from most members would be YES Very Happy Are we talking with your best compliments or at a charge?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without charge, however since I want to learn something from it I will write it in C# probably, so it will only work on Windows systems (or via an emulator).

Also keep in mind I probably not going to buy a Kronos directly but I could with the help of one or a few example PCGs and the knowledge of the structure already create it beforehand.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there someone who can send me a full default PCG?
I can then use the official voice name list to find back all the programs/combis.

Teh Mick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with the programming side(C++ using Qt and/or C#) and getting Kronos data, I should get my preorder pretty soon.

I already a basic framework that could decode Triton PCG, but it doesn't work with M3 and OASYS files. The chunk layout has changed and I didn't find any doc about it. Here's the source code: https://github.com/mlarouche/libpcg
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: