Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Played Kronos S/N T00005 tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sani

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash & The Pan wrote:

Sparkie,
Don't make me laugh, with the 4 GB piano Sounds?? Korg says..."prepare to be amazed...or something like that...ha,ha,ha...
Check this out "Sparkie"

for just $ 349.....

Ivory II-Grand Pianos Features:

[...]

So....hey KORG...where the others $ 2700 and something goes?...

Excuse me,
do we really need to go thru such stupid comparisons over and over again???
Why does Logic with unlimited audio/midi tracks and dozens of samples/software cost only 500$ while any 24 track hardware recorder costs at least 5 times more?

If you don't see a difference between a dvd rom (with software and samples on it) and a keyboard, then you should better stop commenting.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Played Kronos S/N T00005 tonight Reply with quote

this is certainly disappointing..and would indicate a problem in the raw sample.

Funnily enough, there is a similar problem in the s90xs with the s6 sample on d2 where there is a strongly overemphasized buzz.. Ruins all the s6 based patches for me... Although never acknowledged as an issue, coincidentally the "same" sample set on the motif xf has been reworked into a decent sounding piano

Be interesting to see the opinions of other piano players on this topic

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
I then proceeded to give it the ol' ricky critical listening test, playing single keys at different dynamic levels and listening to the decays. Can't say that I was impressed by the realism in this regard. So I tried the Japanese Grand and almost cringed when I tested the C below middle C and the adjacent keys. The decay has a very unnatural stepping quality to it, and thins out very quickly. While playing a few different pieces with the JG, I was constantly aware of this effect. I thought it was just the particular preset in the list, so I called up all of the other pianos based on the Japanese Grand, and the issue is present in each

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...

Last edited by Mystic38 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

2. EPianos
I'm really curious to hear from you which Mac EPianos you regard as better as the Kronos EPs??? I ask because I don't know of ANY Mac stuff coming even close.

The contrary is true from my view: the best software EPianos available on the whole market, the Scarbee library, sounds a bit more authentic in the upper range (no modelling involved). BUT: on the other hand you get the extremely musical and dynamic velocity response of the Kronos EPs. I would rate both solutions on similar levels, but would prefer the Kronos EPs in live play context for exactly this reason.

Both pianos and epianos have EXCELLENT velocity response from my view.

Perhaps others, like Akos Janca or whoever tested the Kronos, can add their views?

I completely agree. The Kronos I had a chance to play was a 61, but even on that I thought that the EP1 programs felt very natural. I'd like to think that my personal expectations regarding Rhodes sounds are quite high (owning a 1980 MKII 73 stage) and I agree that the only viable alternative in terms of software is the Scarbee. Regarding the pure Rhodes tone in a studio situation, I might still prefer the Scarbee over a Kronos, but I would be quite satisfied with using the EP-1 on stage. Also, I think some of the FX on the K are great. For instance, there is a chorus which nails that typical 70s sound of a Boss CE-1 surprisingly well. I've never been able to get that from the Scarbee (even with VKFX).

Last edited by GiantSonicRobot on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is nothing wrong with Ricky's opinion. He doesn't like Kronos and clearly explained why. What I think (and I suppose Korg also thinks) that much more people will like the Kronos than who don't.

All these opinions - positive or negative - are subjective and don't help much to other people.

Thanks, Ricky.
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
I think there is nothing wrong with Ricky's opinion. He doesn't like Kronos and clearly explained why. What I think (and I suppose Korg also thinks) that much more people will like the Kronos than who don't.

All these opinions - positive or negative - are subjective and don't help much to other people.

Thanks, Ricky.

I second that
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash & The Pan wrote:
Sparkie,
Don't make me laugh, with the 4 GB piano Sounds?? Korg says..."prepare to be amazed...or something like that...ha,ha,ha...
Check this out "Sparkie"

for just $ 349.....

Ivory II-Grand Pianos Features:

So....hey KORG...where the others $ 2700 and something goes?...

Your cost comparison has no merit.

Spend $349 for Ivory II and what do you have? A pretty box with some DVDs in it. YOU ALSO need to add in the cost of a good computer, an audio interface, AND a keyboard. Also, where are the other sounds?

Ivory II was introduced and demoed last year at Winter NAMM 2010. Did they just show the box? No, they demoed the product. To do so, here is what they had:
-- A Kawaii stage piano
-- A powerful computer
-- An audio interface

Ivory II is a great sounding piano VST, but the $349 product is worthless without the other equipment.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get parts of Ricky's post-- Korg boards definitely have a "Korg" character to them which can be polarizing. And Yamaha does have a character to many of their sounds that I prefer to Korg.

The argument that you can do more with a computer attached to a keyboard than a workstation alone is just silly. Until workstations come with mice and QWERTY keyboards, that will always be the case.

The digital stepping? I don't see how that's going to happen with a 4GB sample. I seriously doubt Korg did any time compressing or looping--what would be the point? For starters, it would mean way more work. Could it be the character of the recorded piano? I know when I hold a low note on a piano, the decay isn't perfectly smooth because of box resonance. I wonder if that's what Ricky heard.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see why everyone gets so defensive over somebody having a dislike to the Kronos.!

Its an individual choice,whether someone prefers a sample set or a workstation piano... Most haven't laid their hands on the machine yet so make your own mind up when you do....

You can't make a device that suits one and all!!!and with the Amount of units Korg are going to sell as opposed to the Oasys,I guess there will be more plus points posted about Kronos than negative ones.

Save your judgement for when it arrives and enjoy it for what it does best and what inspired you to want it in the first place...

Don't have reservations on one person not warming to it,you can't make everyone like something!Ricky's view is a personal choice,I don't think it was aimed at starting a flame war or bring the Kronos down,some just get down right defensive on the first negative vibe...
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get it straight:
I see nothing wrong in Rick commenting either, nor do I see any problem in opposing his views from my own playing experience with the Kronos.I don't see anything "offensive" nor "defensive" in making up one's own mind and discussing things from various views.

The only thing I find a bit useless are generalising comments based on nothing concrete, like some of the Gearslutz talk.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be impossible to please everyone with something as personal as a piano sound, whether acoustic or electric.

The original poster (Ricky?) is a piano player and I'm a bit surprised he was looking for more in such a short examination in a less than ideal situation. To get a true sense of a digital piano you'd have to set it up in a proper environment, ergonomically, acoustically and in other balanced ways; play for a while to become accustomed to the action, sounds, choices, adjustable parameters and so on.

Furthermore - this is a stage piano - not a Yamaha Clavinova (designed specifically for classical playing) - the Kronos is not really set up for classical playing (I continue to struggle to get my OASYS to respond to playing, for example, a Beethoven Sonata or Debussy Prelude) - it never feels quite right. But - for improvising, composing, and even composing in a classical vein, I find the OASYS more than sufficient because I'm not looking for a 'Debussy Sound', I'm looking for a relative/emotive response and it delivers it admirably.

So I think one has to be realistic about what one expects from such a feature in a Workstation. That said, most reviews of the Kronos pianos - including from the SOS review, are incredibly favorable and in general we can expect this to be a quantum leap beyond other workstation pianos and comparable with dedicate stage pianos like the Yamaha CP 1 and Korg SV1.

After that, it's a matter of getting used to the quirks that are inevitably there. For live work from Jazz to Rock I'm sure the Kronos will deliver very well and after that we're splitting hairs frankly.

And by the way, there has not been an actual acoustic piano I've ever sat at that did not have some issue or other. But you learn to live with them and they become 'features'.

Overall, I believe the Kronos pianos will be incredibly strong and a significant addition to the arsenal of any keyboard player.

Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

The only thing I find a bit useless are generalising comments based on nothing concrete, like some of the Gearslutz talk.

To get a subjective view in there you'll be lucky..Unless its got the words "Analog" tattoed on it,you'll never get a real world opinion,theres a lot of snobbery in that forum towards anything digital in synthesizer terms.

That was pretty much the same negative witchhunt for the Oasys,it was mainly from haters of the synth because they simply couldn't afford it and had no hands on knowledge of it but were happy to air there views pulling it down,yet now suspect most of those haters are the same ones who are now buying the same technology in the Kronos for a fraction of the price..
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Ithe Kronos is not really set up for classical playing (I continue to struggle to get my OASYS to respond to playing, for example, a Beethoven Sonata or Debussy Prelude) - it never feels quite right. But - .

Same here kevin. I have an OASYS-88, and its a good solid piano, with a good tone. However, i had a Roland KR577 piano about 8 years ago, and although the piano sound lacked compared to the oasys, i could go straight off the Digital piano to my Acoustic Grand and carry on playing pieces as normal. It doesn't feel the same for me on Synths though, it never "feel right" when trying to play a bit of Chopin on the OASYS. it doesn't.

Tony

JOHN 3:16
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin is right under one important point of view - when he says "I can't play Debussy on a Oasys, but it's piano is good". "It's not right for Debussy, but it sounds good".

No matter how people [and synth producers] try to twist it,

truth is: synthesizer is a new instrument.

That's been true for 40 years now (since synthesists became a community, got a role, gopt their own music, weren't anymore just isolated experimentalists).

Still, people listen to a synth and ask: "will it fool people into believing it's not a synth"?

No matter how many pianos and organs you put into it, those pianos have to played as synth-pianos, organs are to be played as synth-organs, brass is to be played as synth brass even if it's modeled down to the last growl and spit and fall and glissando.

The whole "I use a synth because a real piano is too heavy or expensive" mantra is a load of BS.

People who buy a synth because they can't afford a piano are sad, IMHO. And they will always be sad. They should rent a piano.

A synth is an instrument. It may include EP, piano, wind and hammond patches, but it has his own way of living.

Think [on a very basic level] of the marvelous idea of playing organs on a weighted and velocity&aftertouch-sensitive keyboard: that's synthesis, not hammond-playing.

Whoever strives for a synthesizer whose piano is so good that "you don't feel like it's a synth"... is missing the point.

So: is a computer program a BETTER INSTRUMENT than a synth (e.g. a Kronos)? Yes? No?

Really? Why? Because it fools more people? Is that the point?

That's the point.

I use synths for woodwind modeled sounds, but that's SYNTH modeled sounds. I won't ever compare them to a real sax or oboe.

They are good on their own.

Is a kronos rhodes better than a m3 rhodes? YES it is.

is it better BECAUSE it better FOOLS people into believing it's a real rhodes? No. Or, better: who the heck cares? Maybe some studio engineer who is billing customers for real rhodes and hammonds and needs to keep costs down using a kronos. Not me.

Kronos is better than m3 because it's rich in its own way, while the m3's rhodes was POOR no matter how similar it was to the original.

SO, IF SOMEBODY SAYS AN INSTRUMENT "SOUNDS BETTER" THAN ANOTHER, he can be right even if the former instrument has HALF or 1/10th the RAM or samples than the latter.

I heard yamaha's arrangers choirs: they're perfect. and they're UGLY.

That's not synthesis. That's TV. Photo. Whatever. Not synthesis.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly respect Ricky's opinion and the time he took to share it. I also realize that appreciation for any musical instrument is a matter of subjective personal taste, and that one opinion will vary from the next. However, I really don't think that a stepping decay is a matter of subjective opinion. It's either there in the signal, or it isn't. I am really hoping that Ricky just has an overactive imagination Smile
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
The original poster (Ricky?) is a piano player and I'm a bit surprised he was looking for more in such a short examination in a less than ideal situation. To get a true sense of a digital piano you'd have to set it up in a proper environment, ergonomically, acoustically and in other balanced ways; play for a while to become accustomed to the action, sounds, choices, adjustable parameters and so on.

Hi Kevin, actually I had a good set of monitors and a distraction-free empty keyboard department to work in for almost 45 minutes.

Having to make adjustments to professionally programmed flagship piano sounds in a flagship workstation right off the bat is something I certainly don't look for when I sit down to play. I'm certain that Korg's brilliant voicing team and all the artists involved in designing their signature sounds put a lot of time and effort into maximizing the capabilities of the SGX engine for each patch. I'm not saying that tweaking won't improve certain presets, but I don't expect to have to do that to enjoy playing an instrument.

Cosmo Music always has about 20 grand pianos upstairs - it's a brilliant store BTW - and I've spent many hours in the loft there, and at many other piano shops in and around Toronto, and I agree with you that every piano has its own "features" as you call them. The particular "feature" I pointed out in my analysis of the Japanese Grands was dead easy to pick out, and I found it disconcerting - pun intended.

Yes, I have listened to many fine demos of Kronos' pianos, as well as demos from many other manufacturers' digital piano offerings, many of which sound fantastic as well. When one puts the microscope to the actual product though, one finds "features" fairly quickly if one listens carefully and critically.

It doesn't take months, not for me at least.

No doubt Kronos' pianos are the best Korg has ever done, I will not dispute that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: