Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korgs audio midi interface
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames4208

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: korgs audio midi interface Reply with quote

will this Conflict with my existing audio interface on my computer?
i'm using the focusrite LS56.
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, why would it conflict with your Audio Interface?
Plug you cables into it from the Kronos and your usb midi to the computer and go.. or have I misunderstood your question?
mjames4208

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that you couldn't run two audio interfaces on a computer.
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, you are right about that, but just because you are using the usb, doesn't mean you have to use it as audio transfer.
Use it for the editor and plug the Kronos into your Liquid. I have the same situation, i'm using an Ensemble, I'd rather use it for audio, than the usb.
I would think the Liquid would sound better and posibly tax your computer less .. There are many different scenarios, you have to go with what works best for you. .. JMO
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using "aggregate device" on the Mac, you can run more than one interface.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:

Yes you can, but then you have to select one for input and the other for output.
Not very convenient if you are doing vocals on one interface and inputing the Kronos on the usb. You then have to switch back and forth.. "not"
Thanks..
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 2 MOTU 828s...... never really thought about the either or scenario. Will have a play, as (with all due respect) I'm not convinced (yet!) Cool
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is umm, exactly the same as in windows, you can independently select ins and outs Smile

Lou wrote:
ScoobyDoo555 wrote:

Yes you can, but then you have to select one for input and the other for output.
Not very convenient if you are doing vocals on one interface and inputing the Kronos on the usb. You then have to switch back and forth.. "not"
Thanks..

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
jahrome

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your DAW should be able to handle all your incoming/outgoing audio. You can have several keyboards/sound modules that transmit audio over USB running into your DAW. Its been a long time since I used a PC. but my last one, I even had two different PCI based sound cards from different companies. One game me analog I/O and the other Digital I/O.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
I'm running 2 MOTU 828s...... never really thought about the either or scenario. Will have a play, as (with all due respect) I'm not convinced (yet!) Cool

In Windows (not sure about Mac), the ASIO audio standard only supports one ASIO device at a time. If you have multiple devices from the same manufacturer that use the same audio driver, I believe these are considered one device.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago to confirm my understanding.

Under Sonar, using the ASIO driver with my MOTU audio interfaces, I would have to manually select/de-select different audio devices if I wanted to use ANY audio interface in addition to my MOTU.

With the Kronos, I will just use the USB connection as a midi interface, using the normal analog or digital outputs for audio.

From the Sonar X1 Reference Guide:
In ASIO mode, the current active ASIO device (remember ASIO can only have one active at a time)...

Last edited by MartinHines on Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 am; edited 2 times in total
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my (Mac) audio/midi app states 2 interfaces summing 44 inputs & 44 outputs.... across 2 interfaces.

Just a simple case in Logic of selecting the right input.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

With the Kronos, I will just use the USB connection as a midi interface, using the normal analog or digital outputs for audio.

Martin,
I plan to do the same though I have never used the digital outs on any of my synths.
Is there any real benefit over the audio outs and is difficult to setup the Kronos with my Ensemble? (Digital) or should I use the analog outs and the Ensembles converters?
When using the digital outs, would you in Global, leave it set to Internal and let the Ensemble do the clocking? Regarding this, I'm newb.. thanks.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Martin,
I plan to do the same though I have never used the digital outs on any of my synths.
Is there any real benefit over the audio outs and is difficult to setup the Kronos with my Ensemble? (Digital) or should I use the analog outs and the Ensembles converters?
When using the digital outs, would you in Global, leave it set to Internal and let the Ensemble do the clocking? Regarding this, I'm newb.. thanks.

Using the analog outputs is the easiest, and I assume the majority of players only use the analog outputs (at least most pro stage musicians seem to use the analog connections).

Also, the Kronos has 4 analog outputs, and only the L,R Main outputs are mirrored via the S/PDIF digital output.

The benefit (although you might not notice it) of digital would be there would not be the extra conversions involved. With an analog output the audio data is going be converted twice -- once by the Kronos (converting the internal digital to analog output) then a second time by your audio interface (the Ensemble converting from Analog to Digital).

The Kronos probably has good converters (D/A), and the Ensemble has really good converters (A/D), so you might not be able to tell much of a difference. If you can borrow some optical S/PDIF cables you could perform a test to see if you can actually notice any difference with the digital connection.

Regarding setup (and I had to look at the Kronos Param Guide pg. 746) to use the S/PDIF connection you would:

1. Set the Kronos System Clock to "S/PDIF" (meaning the Kronos would be looking for an external digital audio word clock signal) [Note: I assume the digital clock of the Ensemble is probably better than the internal Kronos clock]

2. Connect TWO S/PDIF Optical cables:
-- Ensemble S/PDIF Optical Out to Kronos S/PDIF In (carries the word clock from the Ensemble to the Kronos)
-- Kronos S/PDIF Out to Ensemble Optical S/PDIF In (carries the digital audio from the Kronos to your Ensemble)

** Alternatively, you could use one S/PDIF cable (from Kronos to Ensemble) if you set the Kronos "System Clock" to Internal (in this situation the Kronos would be the master word clock).

P.S. -- I don't know which DAW you are using, but some people have posted about the ability to create "aggregate" audio devices on a Mac, which, I assume, might let you use both your Ensemble AND the Korg USB digital audio connection at the same time.

Last edited by MartinHines on Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
nowtime

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is current for me now. In preparation for my Kronos, I began experimenting last night with my Triton Extreme connected via Toslink to my RME UFX. Never used digital connection before (successfully).

Anyway, what is good to know is that the sample rate of the DAW and soundcard will get locked at 48000 when connecting via digital. I am a little confused about this. I am used to working at 44100 in Ableton Live. When I connected my Triton via Toslink, it locked my UFX and Live at 48000. The UFX clock source was set to Word Clock, the Triton was set to Internal. When I set the Triton to S/P DIF I was able to set the UFX to 44100, but the Triton was blinking and said "clock error"

The RME people told me that the Triton should be master (set to internal, I figure) and I am stuck at 48000. Or I could set my UFX to internal and then the Korg would not be in sync.

Really I am confused by all this. I just want to make use of this extra input to the UFX. Can I use this Toslink output from the Kronos without messing up my system? Should I begin working at 48000 in my DAW? Any down sides to this? I want Ableton to be the master clock and i want to sync 3 pieces of outboard gear via midi.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

Using the analog outputs is the easiest, and I assume the majority of players only use the analog outputs (at least most pro stage musicians seem to you the analog connections).

Also, the Kronos has 4 analog outputs, and only the L,R Main outputs are mirrored via the S/PDIF digital output.

The benefit (although you might not notice it) of digital would be there would not be the extra conversions involved. With an analog output the audio data is going be converted twice -- once by the Kronos (converting the internal digital to analog output) then a second time by your audio interface (the Ensemble converting from Analog to Digital).

The Kronos probably has good converters (D/A), and the Ensemble has really good converters (A/D), you might not be able to tell much of a difference. If you can borrow some optical S/PDIF cables you could perform a test to see if you can actually notice any difference with the digital connection.

Regarding setup (and I had to look at the Kronos Param Guide pg. 746) to use the S/PDIF connection you would:

1. Set the Kronos System Clock to "S/PDIF" (meaning the Kronos would be looking for an external digital audio word clock signal) [Note: I assume the digital clock of the Ensemble is probably better than the internal Kronos clock]

2. Connect TWO S/PDIF Optical cables:
-- Ensemble S/PDIF Optical Out to Kronos S/PDIF In (carries the word clock from the Ensemble to the Kronos)
-- Kronos S/PDIF Out to Ensemble Optical S/PDIF In (carries the digital audio from the Kronos to your Ensemble)

** Alternatively, you could use one S/PDIF cable (from Kronos to Ensemble) if you set the Kronos "System Clock" to Internal (in this situation the Kronos would be the master word clock).

P.S. -- I don't know which DAW you are using, but some people have posted about the ability to create "aggregate" audio devices on a Mac, which, I assume, might let you use both your Ensemble AND the Korg USB digital audio connection at the same time.

Thanks Martin, I appreciate you taking the time for a very clear breakdown of the setup. I did check the guide, but it wasn't clear to me at all. It is now! Smile
I recently got the Ensemble and the sales rep. at Sweetwater said the same thing you did about the converters in Ensemble and that I'd probably not notice a difference.
I really don't need the extra inputs so I'm thinking of going out analog. If I can get my hands on a S/PDIF cable I will give it a try. I'm using Logic and have read about the aggregate device.
Some aren't that pleased with it. If I understood it correctly, I would be switching back and forth as I want to input my mic with the Ensemble, but I couldn't input the Kronos USB at the same time. (I think I got that right) Will look into it some more..
Have you decided how you were going to be hooking up yours? Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: