Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I set the joystick to zero? (Jordan Rudess' Feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dida Rakotoarison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: How can I set the joystick to zero? (Jordan Rudess' Feedback Reply with quote

Hello guys! I just signed up to this forum so I'm new here.

I have a problem that i'd like to be solved:
I recently managed to replicate Jordan Rudess' lead sound, with the feedback as well, but the thing is that in the Combi, with the feedback as a separate program from the main lead sound (the AL-1), when I play a note at the beginning, the feedback gets heard, whereas actually it shouldn't because I have set this up so that when the joystick is in position 0, the feedback shouldn't be sounding but only the main lead sound. As a consequence, when I push or pull the joystick towards me (JS+Y or JS-Y), the sounding of the feedback stops and then fades in normally.

Can anyone help me please? I just recently had my Kronos and don't know really much stuff, still learning though...

Peace
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.keyboardmag.com/create-sounds/1256/program-the-jordan-rudess-lead-sound-on-your-synth/29451

This us how he made his sound on the Kronos.

ww.keyboardmag.com/create-sounds/1256/deeper-inside-the-rudess-synth-lead-sound/29503

This is part 2. Hope it helps!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Dida Rakotoarison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you but it's not what I asked for, plus I have seen these sites, that is how made the Rudess lead on my Kronos. Sorry but it doesn't solve my issue...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I don't know how to help you. Hopefully somebody here can though. This place is full of mad geniuses! Welcome aboard!

I just thought that there may be something in one of the articles about how he made his sound that might help.

Good luck and hope you get your problem solved.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How can I set the joystick to zero? (Jordan Rudess' Feed Reply with quote

Dida Rakotoarison wrote:
when I play a note at the beginning, the feedback gets heard, whereas actually it shouldn't because I have set this up so that when the joystick is in position 0, the feedback shouldn't be sounding but only the main lead sound

Πατριώτη ...
Let's forget the source of this sound and examine of what you want to achieve with 2 AL-1 Program Sounds in a Combination.
One AL-1 Program sound is the main one that I suppose all work fine , so let's concentrate on the 2nd auxiliary feedback sound
that OSCs are activated via Amp AMS send at JS+Y & JS-Y at +99 value while they are set at zero when JS is at release (0) position !

If this Program is properly made then already in Program mode , this sound mustn't be heard when JS joystick is at zero point ,
and when inserted in Combi mode then it will retain those properties unless you have edited Combi properties and filters , so if
not sure what is going on at Combination , then begin with an initial Combination and inport your programs there.
But if your feedback Program sound isn't muted at JS release point then you have to learn more about advanced editing and AMS
send to operators and achieve those OSC properties to work as they ought in Program mode and then insert it in Combination.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would help to know how you set up the feed back to be faded in using the Joystick in the program that has the feedback.

Here are some ideas that may or may not be useful, depending on how you actually implemented it:

In the article that jeremykeys links to, Jordan is using a Stereo Limiter IFX to manage the fading between the base lead sound and the feedback. If this is the method you have chosen in the original patch, then the same set of effects need to exist in the combi as well to reproduce the effect as the effect chain is not automatically copied when you reuse a program in a combi.

If you instead manually programmed the AL-1's oscillators to start at 0 and increase in amplitude by assigning JS+Y/JS-Y to increase the volume using modulation in the AL-1's mixer section, then this will automatically happen in the combi as well. If this approach doesn't work, then perhaps you have accidentally modified the base volume of the feedback program's oscillators in the Tone Control section of the program.
Karimh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 45 minutes of a good tutorial. I actually loaded up this video and followed it step by step (at first). I then tweaked the sound to my liking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ERMTvsqf2g
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget there is a button on the Kronos called "Reset Controls".

Also, sometimes using the Compare button works for certain special needs like yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: