Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another Newb DAW question!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesilencenoise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Newb DAW question! Reply with quote

So this is really an entirely new world for me.

I just purchased and received the Triton Extreme yesterday after about 6 years of loving my Triton Classic. I have created hundreds of sequences right on the machine using built in effects and all of the like.

In short, I really enjoy the sound I'm creating over there and pretty much just want to replicate it (for the most part) on my PC.

I recently purchased a Mackie Onyx1620i as another component so I now have a bit more digital flexibility.

In the past, I essentially "gave up" and wasn't tracking. I'd just mix completely on the Triton and record ONE L/R track that was mixed to the best of my ability. It wasn't anywhere near perfect, especially when I added in guitar. The mix would feel very uneven.

I believe that I NEED to understand the basics of MIDI for these types of tracking purposes (or at the very least controlling the keyboard). In the past I have used Adobe Audition, but I know it is a) not 64 bit and b) terrible at handling MIDI.

I also installed the Reaper trial last night but it is having issues with seeing the Triton Extreme MIDI USB device (other programs are not). However I LOVED how it imported the overall midi file I saved from the Korg as separate tracks (which would probably make recording easy).

Tracktion was not doing that, instead bringing it all in as one track. In addition, the sounds were completely wrong outside of channel one (although a funky brass bassline is freaking awesome).

The computer will not be an issue. It's built to last:

i7 920, 12 gigs RAM, using Mackie Onyx as a soundcard.

For now, let's assume I'm basically going to continue doing the vast majority of my sequencing on the TREX and probably won't be exploring soft synths any time soon.

Where should I be looking?
DaniH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL Studio is very basic for what you need. You can map all of you midi outs and ins to your Triton. If all you want is a computer sequencer get FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: