Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gigging with korg microstation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzzxtreme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: gigging with korg microstation? Reply with quote

hi , has anyone gigged with a korg microstation?

I wish to get one, i'm torn between PS60 and Microstation.

microstation has advantage of being really really small, small (useful for travel), while PS60 has full sized keys but not as portable and about over $100 difference.

any thoughts?
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any use for the microstation's sequencer? if not, i'd probably go for the PS60 just for the full-sized keys. it may be bigger, but it's still very light
stray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gigged with the microstation - it is brilliant - great sounds & the sequencer is what really sells it for me..so many possibilities for live use

As long as you have a good solid case for carrying it between gigs then it should be fine Smile
DV8R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stray wrote:
I have gigged with the microstation - it is brilliant - great sounds & the sequencer is what really sells it for me..so many possibilities for live use

As long as you have a good solid case for carrying it between gigs then it should be fine Smile

Can you suggest a case for it?
botielus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: case Reply with quote

I got very cool soft case with straps, wear as backpack. got from woodwind and brass wwbw.com I think
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gigged with it as well. I use the official Korg gig bag for it, which you can get on eBay. I also wouldn't recommend this instrument if you have no need for the sequencer. The operating system has a steep learning curve and there's a handful of options that require using the computer editor to dig into. And if you look around on this forum, there's been many complaints about the editor. I've been playing synths for over a decade and still found the engine tough to figure out. I have a feeling the PS60 might be the same way based on the fact that it's the same synth engine and even has the same sized screen.

Try checking out the Korg X50 or microX if you have no need for a sequencer. Tons of them pop up on eBay. Both are discontinued, but I've heard from others that the operating system is much easier to use.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played live with the Microstation, and it sounded great.

In fact, there were quite a few sounds I preferred over its big brother the M50 (which I now own). I am seriously considering getting another Microstation to use as a module to bring to jams where a keyboard already exists.

Which brings me to my main concern - the size and weight of the Microstation. I think Korg did a very good job of making the small keys playable. I really had no trouble transitioning between full-size keys and the Micro size. The problems I had were that when I got all enthusiastic (while playing with other people) the Microstation would be bouncing around with my playing. I felt it needed to be fastened with velcro to a stand or something! It feels a bit light-duty for excitable rock n'roll!

When I set it on top of a full size keyboard (and used MIDI to trigger the Microstation) I had a bit better luck. It was small enough to just sit lazily on the synth...it wanted to slide off a few times, but I really had fun with it.

Hope this give players something to consider.
Gambrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: gigging with Microstation Reply with quote

Granted, I'm a college student, and have only played one or two gigs with the microstation, but I have no memory of it feeling off balance or wobbly. I don't have it on a keyboard stand, there is a table I take to gigs, but I just tried playing it as hard as I could, and it felt more solid than the table itself, which is pretty solid. So, I suppose it's more of the type of stand you would use. I will point out that due to it's smaller keys it could be hard to switch from full sized keys to it. I have a full sized synth, and when I switch to the Microkorg from it, I often end up a couple of notes south of where I mean to play; I could see having problems using a two tiered stand, especially trying to play both at the same time. However, I am considering buying a double stand to do just that, so I'm sure one would get used to it. I've really been working at getting used to distance difference when I switch back and forth, surely eventually it will stick without me needing to look down for the first note or two.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I haven't had any problems with it bouncing around either. I have it on two-tier rack with my R3 and it sits flat on the bottom. The trick is to get a stand that has rubber grips which you can adjust the positions of since microSTATION is thinner than most keyboards. I actually don't have any issues with the keys being smaller than usual, but I've never had a music lesson in my life and always have to look for the first key I'm playing. If it becomes to complicated, I just use the sequencer.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Wylany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one setup, with 88 key master below I'm using the adhesive hook and loop for the ms. On another setup with only ms I'm not, because a rubber straps are fine but I think i will stick some h'n'l, cause while getting high somtimes it begins to dance with me, esspecially on wooden floors if you can't find any good space for your stand. Smile
Mahalo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Gigging with microstation - update Reply with quote

Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while - family issues on the other side of the planet basically...

finally I am back in Siem Reap (Cambodia) gigging with the microStation again and I agree with many comments here. Great potential. a lot of problems, not least to program anything beyond the factory presets, it has so many features, but how to get it to do what you want...

it is VERY lightweight, which is great for transport but needs some attention with the facts of live music. Easily knocked off the stand. I have had one custom made stand in metal and working on redesign to improve it.

finally it does LOOK rather insignificant compared to expectations of the audience including the venue owners.

But the sounds can be AMAZING and well worth the hassle. I did have to purchase a second one because of faults on the first one, the USB socket broken which prevented all editing. but now I have two just in case one is not available, simply Global Save to SD card and load on another microStation.

I think a new design of custom stand is the way to go - how do i post an image here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: