Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Audio Tracks in KRONOS sequencer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Questions about Audio Tracks in KRONOS sequencer Reply with quote

I am really excited about the audio tracks in Kronos, and I would like to know about the following:

Are the audio tracks streamed from SSD or the USB drive?
Is automation (volume, pan, effects sends) possible for the audio tracks?
Is loop recording possible with audio tracks? If yes, what happens to each new take?
Are there virtual tracks available?
Can we load wav files directly to an audio track at any point in the sequencer?
Can I load multiple wav files on the same track?
Can I make multiple copies of a section of the track, without actually taking up space on the SSD or USB?
Do the audio tracks auto time-stretch like in ACID to keep up with tempo changes?
How are the Audio Tracks handled with RPPR? Can we include audio tracks in a pattern?

Thanks.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that the Audio tracks will have similar functionality as on OASYS... here is what I found...

Are the audio tracks streamed from SSD or the USB drive?
Streamed from SSD

Is automation (volume, pan, effects sends) possible for the audio tracks?
yes

Is loop recording possible with audio tracks? If yes, what happens to each new take?
Not sure

Are there virtual tracks available?
Not sure

Can we load wav files directly to an audio track at any point in the sequencer?
Yes . From SSD. Must be 48K

Can I load multiple wav files on the same track?
Yes

Can I make multiple copies of a section of the track, without actually taking up space on the SSD or USB?
Yes

Do the audio tracks auto time-stretch like in ACID to keep up with tempo changes?
No

How are the Audio Tracks handled with RPPR? Can we include audio tracks in a pattern?
Note Sure
RichF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Are the audio tracks streamed from SSD or the USB drive?
They're played form the internal SSD.

-Is automation (volume, pan, effects sends) possible for the audio tracks?
Yes.

-Is loop recording possible with audio tracks? If yes, what happens to each new take?
Not on the audio tracks themselves, but this is possible using In-Track Sampling on a MIDI track. Each new take can be treated as a separate sample, overdubbed on top of the existing material.

-Are there virtual tracks available?
No, but if you're running low on tracks, you can always bounce a single track to a WAV, save it on the SSD, and record another version.

-Can we load wav files directly to an audio track at any point in the sequencer?
Yes.

-Can I load multiple wav files on the same track?
Yes, but only sequentially, not mixed together.

-Can I make multiple copies of a section of the track, without actually taking up space on the SSD or USB?
Yes, you can refer to regions without making a new copy of the audio.

-Do the audio tracks auto time-stretch like in ACID to keep up with tempo changes?
Time-stretching is done manually in the Track Edit tab.

-How are the Audio Tracks handled with RPPR? Can we include audio tracks in a pattern?
RPPR only plays/records MIDI patterns. Using the sampler, though, you can definitely use audio material in RPPR.
Slovenec

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age of every audio sequencer having time stretching, that Korg wouldn't implement this vital feature into Kronos' audio tracks! How complicated will it be to have to manually adjust time stretching amounts in order for the audio to properly sync with the midi tracks if you decide to change the tempo of the song?

The Kronos may not be released yet but surely Korg are already on the look out for obvious limitations that can be rectified in future software upgrades? The same applies for adding the M3 sequencer features that will be missing from the Kronos sequencer?
Flash & The Pan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age of every audio sequencer having time stretching, that Korg wouldn't implement this vital feature into Kronos' audio tracks! How complicated will it be to have to manually adjust time stretching amounts in order for the audio to properly sync with the midi tracks if you decide to change the tempo of the song?

The Kronos may not be released yet but surely Korg are already on the look out for obvious limitations that can be rectified in future software upgrades? The same applies for adding the M3 sequencer features that will be missing from the Kronos sequencer?

100% Agree...
Prehistoric Synth in some ways !! REX2 compatible??...ohhh nahhhh! Junk!
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich.

How is the audio data backed up/restored from USB drive? I would imagine that SSD would eventually get filled up with heavy use of audio tracks.
RichF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
Thanks Rich.

How is the audio data backed up/restored from USB drive? I would imagine that SSD would eventually get filled up with heavy use of audio tracks.

It's all done in Disk mode. Go to the Utility tab, select a folder or files, select "Copy" from the drop-down menu, choose the destination, and you're all set.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash & The Pan wrote:
Slovenec wrote:

The Kronos may not be released yet but surely Korg are already on the look out for obvious limitations that can be rectified in future software upgrades?

The same applies for adding the M3 sequencer features that will be missing from the Kronos sequencer?

100% Agree...
Prehistoric Synth in some ways !!

Reading you saying that...
...An advice I can give you:

Do not hold your breath regarding sequencer updates.

I strongly recomend you to do an extensive research into the OASYS part of the forum.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age of every audio sequencer having time stretching, that Korg wouldn't implement this vital feature into Kronos' audio tracks!

Prehistoric would be George Martin running a four-track to create Sgt Pepper's LHC.

No, actually, that's historic.

Musicianship can overcome any technological hurdle.

If time-stretching is an issue, maybe pre-hear what you want, and choose the correct tempo to begin with. Capturing the performance is what it's all about to me.

We use Logic and never bother with time-stretching. We just do another take, old school like.

If you have great players and singers, Kronos' audio tracks should get the job done and sound great doing it. If you want to edit and spark up your audio work, drop it into a DAW and have at it, then back into Kronos... the place where the real magic may happen. Such potential Smile
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:

-Is loop recording possible with audio tracks? If yes, what happens to each new take?
Not on the audio tracks themselves, but this is possible using In-Track Sampling on a MIDI track. Each new take can be treated as a separate sample, overdubbed on top of the existing material.

Hey RichF, can you elaborate on this, please. Can this be done on the M3 also? If so, can you point me to the proper section of its user manual which describes it. I am not clear on how to set this up.

Thanks!
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question:

How could I use the Audio Sequencer to record full program/combi sound onto an audio track?

Let's say I want Combi 101 on Audio Track 1.
Combi 097 on Audio Track 2.
And then a Program with full effects on Track 3?

I thought about it, and here is how I think it could be done. Since Shift+Rec lets you copy the current sound or Combi to a Song. I would use that to take the setup quickly to a song, and then record MIDI performance, then resample that as audio track.

Go through all these, and then create a new song to copy over all audio tracks to this new song.

Is this the best way of doing it?
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
Another question:

How could I use the Audio Sequencer to record full program/combi sound onto an audio track?

I thought about it, and here is how I think it could be done. Since Shift+Rec lets you copy the current sound or Combi to a Song. I would use that to take the setup quickly to a song, and then record MIDI performance, then resample that as audio track.

Go through all these, and then create a new song to copy over all audio tracks to this new song.

I was thinking about this too.

Re-sampling would be easiest if that is possible. The manual reckons it is:

You can choose from a broad range of internal
buses as the recording source; Audio Input 1–2,
S/P DIF, USB, REC Bus 1–4, the main L/R outputs,
or individual outputs 1–4 (yes, you can directly
record from the outputs, all in the digital domain)
You can also route the signal very flexibly, for
example by inserting effects into external audio
sources and recording the result.

Or:

You could export / mix down to audio then import to an audio track.

Or:

Perhaps feed the output back into another input and set the source to that input for audio recording?

Anyone?
jamsire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Ok - real talk people - seriously Reply with quote

The only thing I think the audio sequencer should do is capture the talent - not fix what we (or other talent) can fix ourselves. Between Ableton, PT9, & Cubase - I have a enough time stretching in each of those products to give face lifts to a modern size metropolitan area. I think - if ANYTHING, the audio sequencer is awesome for getting your initial ideas down so you don't always need to turn your computers on.

I also have the Korg d3200 for on location live stuff. I like the fact that it has virtual tracks. Time stretching, REX files, etc.? IDK, to each his own, I just like the fact that there is something available to catch my ideas as they come to me.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
Another question:

You have a pretty good understanding of it. Check out this old OASYS video:

RECORDING MULTIPLE COMBIS

NOTE: Combis have different TEMPOS stored, so pick your rhythmic Combi (example - 145bpm) and make sure that all subsequent Combies are set to that same BPM Tempo.
Redrain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

a simple question :

Why if I record a test song with only one track and one record I find in /regions/ 2 files ?

TRK01_00
TRK01_01

with same size and date ?

in /ATRACK01/ there is one file used only one time :

TRK01_01.WAV

thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: