Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos, do you think it can do this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Kronos, do you think it can do this? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have used a lot of Korg equipment over the years, but not for the last few years. I have a question and I believe the M3 can do this, but wondering if the Kronos can....

Can you assign the front panel buttons to mute/unmute programs in a combi?

Can you assign the sliders to control the volumes for each program in the combo?

Can you assign it so it always works this way? I'd like to have 8 sounds ready to go at any time and use the mute/unmute buttons to bring in the sounds and when muted, save polyphony. In addition, I'd like to mix in the programs using the sliders.

Having owned or played most of the synthesis engine types in the Kronos, this keyboard seems ideal. In addition, the 61 key version is lighter than the M3.

Right now, I have an S90ES and Kurzweil PC3 along with many other keyboards, but the Kronos seems like a killer board. Just wish it had pitch and mod wheels - and breath control. (I know....).

Dan, if you are reading this, great to know you are still at Korg!!!!

Aron
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can do that.
RichF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do these things, and we have a dedicated control surface mode that instantly assigns the switches and sliders to mute and volume.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

OK it will hurt $$$$-wise, but I think I'm going for it.
I still wish for wheels.... I mean, the Polysix had them! Smile

Oh, and if you are going to try for older synths to emulate, I miss my Mono/Poly. Smile

Oh and finally breath controller.

I was just saying to my friend that looking at your UI was like:

DOS = Kurzweil PC3
Mac = Korg Kronos

Aron
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This keyboard has to be one of the most killer boards released recently. I will state that I am a Yamaha guy - I mean, nothing beats my VL1. However as far as a general purpose keyboard, the Kronos is way too enticing. Just the mere idea of using my old DX7 patches along with the Polysix plus Rhodes emulation and a great piano is ridiculous.

Plus I will save 4 pounds off the PC361!

One day I will take the S90ES + Kronos + PC3 and VL1 to a gig. That's power!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
One day I will take the S90ES + Kronos + PC3 and VL1 to a gig. That's power!

Agreed. Lots of octanes in there!
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aron wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to have 8 sounds ready to go at any time and use the mute/unmute buttons to bring in the sounds and when muted, save polyphony.

Huh? On the M3 using the mute button turns off the sound, but it still uses polyphony. You have to do a KARMA workaround to get a true mute.

Is this different on the Kronos?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Aron wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to have 8 sounds ready to go at any time and use the mute/unmute buttons to bring in the sounds and when muted, save polyphony.

Huh? On the M3 using the mute button turns off the sound, but it still uses polyphony. You have to do a KARMA workaround to get a true mute.

Is this different on the Kronos?

The setlist feature and overall 'smooth sound transitions' feature makes any workaround like this practically obselete.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Huh? On the M3 using the mute button turns off the sound, but it still uses polyphony. You have to do a KARMA workaround to get a true mute.

I think it's different. They make such a big deal about polyphony and dynamic voice allocation across synthesizer engines. It's got to be more like the Kurzweil.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos, do you think it can do this? Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Hey guys,

I have used a lot of Korg equipment over the years, but not for the last few years. I have a question and I believe the M3 can do this, but wondering if the Kronos can....

Can you assign the sliders to control the volumes for each program in the combo?

Can you assign it so it always works this way? I'd like to have 8 sounds ready to go at any time and use the mute/unmute buttons to bring in the sounds and when muted, save polyphony. In addition, I'd like to mix in the programs using the sliders.

Having owned or played most of the synthesis engine types in the Kronos, this keyboard seems ideal. In addition, the 61 key version is lighter than the M3.

Right now, I have an S90ES and Kurzweil PC3 along with many other keyboards, but the Kronos seems like a killer board. Just wish it had pitch and mod wheels - and breath control. (I know....).

Aron

i'm not sure that you get polyphony back though.... (not sure)... the way I had it explained to me once was, technically the tones are still being triggered (which eats into polyphony...), you just have the volume of the sound muted.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See... Kurzweil's voice allocation engine doesn't eat up polyphony with voices which have really low volume. That's better. Very Happy
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>i'm not sure that you get polyphony back though.... (not sure)... the way I had it explained to me once was, technically the tones are still being triggered (which eats into polyphony...), you just have the volume of the sound muted.

Yes, a while ago, a mute used to be volume=0, however I would be pretty amazed if that's what they do now. I don't know, but would imagine that mute = no note events sent. That would save polyphony.

Yes, the Kurzweil allocation and the sliders+mute is the reason why I am using the PC3 now.

I like the PC3 but I really dislike the UI. Anyway, I've been missing my Polysix since they made the plugin, so I can't wait to layer the synths in the Kronos up.

As for using a computer - yes, at one point I had a Mac Mini running monitorless using remote software that I wrote to control Logic - all controlled by program changes. But the first time it started raining, I knew the computer was not going to be used on stage for me in Hawaii. In fact, there are too many rainy gigs etc... here to use my Macbook Pro.

Not to mention that most people show up and jack in to a DI. I want to do that too. Smile
dingo_klectos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos, do you think it can do this? Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Hey guys,

Aron
As always they'll promise they can but will fail to deliver on it.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>As always they'll promise they can but will fail to deliver on it.

???? Which manufacturer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: