Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

I'm just curious how it benefits Korg (or any company) to keep release and shipping schedules secret?

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the reasons are genuine, and probably associated with shifting currency valuations among the dollar, euro and sterling pound. Getting that wrong could be very costly. Afterall, the Euro is going through a very rocky time right now (though regaining strength in recent days).
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it has more to do with corporate integrity. There are so many reasons why a manufacturers "representations" must be reliable.

Sure....consumer expectation is one reason. Just consider the relative "bitching" that goes on in forums all over the internet when any manufacturer fails to meet a promised release date. This equates to bad press....not good! It also creates the perception of "propensity of vaporware".....thus impacting the future investment viability of the manufacturer.

But moreover.....the distribution chain of the manufacturer needs credible information, so they can invest accordingly. Advertising, purchasing, staffing, insuring, customer service....all of these areas of concern require reliable information in order for the distribution chain to function. If the manufacturer fails to deliver as represented, it can cost distributers a bundle....and this is how you loose distributers, and also how you loose future orders and investments. How many times can a "boy cry wolf"!

In many instances (consider Apple computer as an obvious if not extreme example), a failure to deliver on represented production schedules can adversely affect the stock price of a manufacturer. It reflects upon a company's credibility and performance, and therefore PROFITABILITY, for all of the aforementioned reasons. Profitability is the key, number one, driving factor in all of "corporate protocol".

So....corporate protocol 1 0 1....keep your production schedules tight, quiet, and secure. Make an official "representation" only when the rest of the world can "take it to the bank". Failure to do so is a common error on the part of many-a-lesser company...adversely affecting profitability and therefore, in the worst examples....the very survival of the company.

Smile
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonetheless, there's probably lot of aspects of the keyboard which aren't done yet... I think about Manual, Software for DAW Integration (we haven't see it at all), manufacturing and production final design, boxing, shipping, etc... so, everything that comes with the product itself, when the product is finalized.

Having a schedules to match with events such NAMM, etc... sometimes means they do expose a prototype or "almost final" version, or even a final version of the product... but without all extra stuff. It also allow the manufacture to have some first feedback from the potential customers, have first estimation of production numbers, which will help to set up the manufacturing and production and have right estimation of delivery. If they do announce a date now, and for any reason the date will be pushed back... everyone will start yelling on forums or to distributors.

So, it's better to have potential buyer "prepared" to spend money on the new product when the time will come, than promising a date you're not sure you can keep. So, in the end, there's no secret or so... just common sense.

Phil
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nonetheless, there's probably lot of aspects of the keyboard which aren't done yet... I think about Manual, Software for DAW Integration (we haven't see it at all), manufacturing and production final design, boxing, shipping,

the sequencer... (I know, I know, and in the infamous words of Bugs Bunny, aren't I a stinker?)...
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish, but apparently we saw pictures of the sequencer which looks quiet similar than the Oasys...

I do think than the keyboard and OS are actually 99% done... it's probably everything about what comes with the keyboard. Packaging, manual, drivers, software, recovery system, etc...

But I'm just guessing...

Phil
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
I do think than the keyboard and OS are actually 99% done...

Probably not given there were no units for people to play.

I suspect the voicing is not all yet done, some testing is still in progress.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
I'm just curious how it benefits Korg (or any company) to keep release and shipping schedules secret?

I assume you mean schedules from the public -- i.e. end users.

Companies do try to keep retailers informed as much as possible.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
SpIdErWeB wrote:
I do think than the keyboard and OS are actually 99% done...

Probably not given there were no units for people to play.

I suspect the voicing is not all yet done, some testing is still in progress.

Are you referring to Dynamic Voice allocation or to "Presets"?

Because the allocation system was already in the Oasys and I think it should be probably the same system...

"Presets" wise, of course, I'm sure they might just add more from the beta-tester and sound-designer... That's probably why there's "1510 or more" in the specs.

Phil
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:

The question assumes they *know* exactly when it will ship, and that's not always the case.

Another factor, in general, is impact on the sales of current units. There is a famous case where Osborne announced a computer that they weren't yet ready to deliver, everyone stopped buying what was then the "current" model, and it basically helped put the company out of business.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:

The question assumes they *know* exactly when it will ship, and that's not always the case.

Another factor, in general, is impact on the sales of current units. There is a famous case where Osborne announced a computer that they weren't yet ready to deliver, everyone stopped buying what was then the "current" model, and it basically helped put the company out of business.

Wouldn't that be the case here? Wouldn't the Kronos announcement impact M3 and M50 sales? I know there's a price difference, but still. Since announced mid January.. and they're shipping in May, that's 4 months of impacted sales. Yes.. I did that math all by myself.

Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Wouldn't that be the case here? Wouldn't the Kronos announcement impact M3 and M50 sales? I know there's a price difference, but still.

Yes. But as you point out, the price difference here is a factor. But also, it's always a balancing act. They want to generate some excitement and anticipation; they also don't want to tick off customers who buy something only to find that something much better is suddenly available. So this kind of "phased" reveal is sensible. If they announced it a year ago (when they certainly knew it was in the works), it could have had too much of a negative impact on M3 sales (and certainly any remaining OASYS inventory); if they announce it the day it ships, there is no pent-up demand, and they annoy some of the people who had just bought M3s thinking that was the top model. So they look for a balance.

Another factor in announcements is competitive positioning and when they can get the most buzz, so planning announcements around events like NAMM makes sense from that perspective as well. And one more reason to not announce something *too* early is it gives your competitors more time to see what you're doing and possibly catch up.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Scott wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:

Wouldn't that be the case here? Wouldn't the Kronos announcement impact M3 and M50 sales? I know there's a price difference, but still. Since announced mid January.. and they're shipping in May, that's 4 months of impacted sales. Yes.. I did that math all by myself.

OT -

Mark - hey, this is Brian, Jim's friend.

Cool to see that you are ordering a Kronos. I haven't ordered mine (I want to actually play it first), but I think I see myself with one by at least the end of the summer. I've been putting it in Jim's ear for him to get one as well.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:

Cool to see that you are ordering a Kronos. I haven't ordered mine (I want to actually play it first), but I think I see myself with one by at least the end of the summer. I've been putting it in Jim's ear for him to get one as well.

Hey Brian... great to see ya on here. Jim and I talked about all of us getting together with all of our keys someday. Definitely when the Kronos arrives. He's still wanting to play my Virus TI.

jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose behind not disclosing schedules? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
jeebustrain wrote:

Hey Brian... great to see ya on here. Jim and I talked about all of us getting together with all of our keys someday. Definitely when the Kronos arrives. He's still wanting to play my Virus TI.

Ha. Even though I've trimmed the keyboard gear down immensely over the past couple years, combining all of our crap into a single space will probably require warehouse rental.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: