Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: SDK for Kronos would boost sales?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

SDK for Kronos would boost sales?
yes
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
no
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
synthguy wrote:
But does not having them make the KRONOS seem less desirable? Not really.

Did I say that? No.

Erm... I'm not so sure about that...

ozy wrote:
But if it's a great engine, which can run only on Kronos and because of Kronos' quality, sales of Kronos will be improved. And its reputation weill only grow.

Maybe you could argue that more people will want to buy it, or be more excited about it, but not think any more of it. I think that's a pretty thin line of reasoning.

Or maybe you chose a poor example. Wink

But I sincerely doubt it's going to happen anyway. Even if it did happen, the only people who would be excited about it most likely will be the laptop softsynth guys.

As I said, it would be awesome if KORG invited Arturia or Native Instruments to add a few of their synths to the arsenal. But I'm not one of those wringing my hands and mumbling, "I hope this isn't aaaaalllll we get..."

No, I'm very pleased to have an OASYS with a few more goodies thrown in for less than $4000 US! Open, shmopen, who cares? Not most keyboard players and synthesists. Just some of you guys here.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper isn't a good exemple... (which is close to Open Source).

The best exemple is the iPhone. Apple keeps the OS stable and still provides resources for developers to develop new cool App (We saw Korg did some stuff, IK Multimedia too, and even some "unknown" devs until then). It's a very friendly eco-system, rentable, secure and stable... and the manufacture keep the last word about validation of an app or not.

For now, I take the Kronos for what it is and don't speculate on any hypothetic future update (Korg hasn't mention any "Open Architecture" at all this time...)

But I clearly wish Arturia, NI, IKMultimedia, WIVI, Spectrasonics, Easwest, ProjectSAM, (just to name few)... would join the party. There's developers would clearly know how to make sounds, and it's nothing related with JS programmers.

For Guitar sounds for instance, there's RealGuitar, DirectGuitar, OrangeTree, etc... They all sound pretty good. I wish I could have them in my Kronos.

Phil
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it were to happen, highly doubtful, I still cannot see but a handful of people taking the time to develop an EXi. And I couldn't understand somebody buying a Kronos just for the sake of having developer's X latest creation.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing different from an iPhone... you buy it because it's a great smartphone... then you'd enjoy it even better because you could buy or download any of the 350,000 apps out there...

Everyone would still buy the Kronos for the fact it's a great workstation... then you'd enjoy it even better because you could buy or download some new Sample libraries or synthesis...

Then it's another value for you to stick with your favorite brand in future. I do have over 350 apps for my phone. Almost 50% of them were paid apps... So, whatever RIM, Nokia, Google, Microsoft or so will release... I will stick with Apple, because the app I bought for my iPhone 1, were working fine on my iPhone 3GS and still do work fine on my iPhone 4.

Conclusion, it will just be a way for Korg to get more consumer material, that will help them to develop interest even more important for their platform and then give serious value for the customer to stick with them in the future.

Note that not everyone has already a Receptor (or equivalent), full-filled of plugins and sound libraries. That's why I can see several good reasons for them to do (even if I doubt they will... please, do surprise me Mr. Korg Smile ).

my 2 cents,
Phil
P5music

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Kronos is an instrument, not a software project. You'd have an equal chance at building an open source helicopter or open source skyscraper. Think those can work?

Kronos has a OS inside and its hardware is managed by software routines. It is a modern project that could easily include what I asked for.

Quote:
Reaper extensions, JS scripts and themes are so technically far from the features that people ask for on these forums as to be laughable.

You think I am talking about JS, but go and update your technical knowledge because Reaper has a SDk for c++ compiled binaries that can use the internal headers of classes.

Quote:
Do you know what it means to program for a real-time OS?

The question is whether you know what it means.

Quote:
Can you implement brand new synthesizers on Reaper using an extension? No, the API allows for UI/macro type things.

Again, if you would know c++ programming you did not write this.
c++ application would run on the processor directly and just the interface counts for communication to Reaper/Kronos.
Furthermore, I am talking mainly about midi processing "apps", sound generation could be excluded, because of performance issues or quality control and instrument's identity protection.

Quote:
Your analogy simply doesn't fit, and thus can't logically support your soapbox rant at the end there.

I think you learned something here.

Quote:
I'm also guessing that you're a Reaper fanboy and feel that any other business model is imperfect and evil.

You guess everything you base your thoughts on.
You can't logically support anything you write.
Reaper is a commercial product. Also NI Kontakt has a language inside, it doesn't mean any strange business model. VST itself is an extension of DAW and allowed the commercial success of those applications.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@P5Music, I saw your "plea" post.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58366

I see that you want a piano roll editor on the Kronos, otherwise the iPad will take over all music production on the planet. Cool. Now I get it.

Call Korg and tell them you'll implement this clearly missing feature. Tell them about your TDWTF kung fu skills and that you already know everything about how Kronos is built because you "know" c++, KSP and the Reaper SDK. I'm sure they'll give you an interview and I'm sure you'll get the gig. Then you can program this feature for the small fraction of people who really care out of the small fraction of musicians that don't use a computer sequencer. I really do think you'll make life better for, like, six Kronos buyers.

Now, allow me to go update my knowledge on this here sea plus plus and try to convince every tech company that they just aren't "modern" if they don't let everyone see all of their prototypes.

Also, please let me know where to download the amazing suite of Reaper extensions that you've built.
P5music

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Zeroesque
ok, now be quiet.
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
the iPad will take over all music production on the planet.

WE are getting ready for that. WE are already building spaceships.

The Earth will remain a wasteland inhabited only by two opposed races and a small dying minority:

a) the Elohi, playing everything on i-pad, eating fresh fuit and waking up at midday, reading no books, knowing nothing past the last 5 minutes, having lot of emotions and silly songs, petting bunnies and talking a lot but with no meaning.

b) the Morlocks, living in caves, eating raw human meat, talking in monosyllables, using their children as workhorses, and playing - of course - guitars. Their elders and wiser, drums, at the most.

c) a few dozens brooding prophets, pessimistic and bitter, insulated on the top of mountains, watching in despair while humanity ends.

And they will play the few remaining Oasys. Nobody with an oasys will be allowed on spaceships: they are too heavy for current rocket science.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something inherently wrong with Apple as a corporation or it's products and development philosophy that makes the idea of Korg adopting their business model (i-phone/ipad + app store) repugnant?

I wrote (as a joke in another posting) that I wanted just that - but wouldn't that be a cool thing? Maybe it's what the M3 was moving toward but taken a step further.

Modularize the input: Keybed - 41,61,73/76,88, weighted, synth, std/mini/rounded waterfall -- pick one. Finger Pad, Ribbon, JS / Wheels / Vector as "drop-in" options to a standard architecture (like the 19" rack space) and interface (as common as USB please) - add it in or leave a cover plate - your choice.

Modular Guts - I-pad front (touch screen), mac processing back, Terabyte solid state hard drive; detachable, portable, stable, intuitive. "Soft" keys for input in your dorm / hotel / man-cave away from keyboard. screen acts as performance interface capable of multiple touch-adjustments - drawbars, kaos pad(s), multi-vector control, percussion, instrument selection, tap tempo/synq, 2-d theramin...

Modular output: Black box (?) d/a stereo (4,6,8?) outs, firewire, SPDIF, whatever, again to a standard size (tbd) and interface back to "guts" unpluggable for portability of central unit.

Apple in charge of "works in" and "sells for", Korg in charge of "just plain works" and "works with..." [and think of the number of posts here in the vein of "can't get my XXX-Mk1 to work with YYY-Soft's sequencer" and you'd see that QA/QC is well worth paying for).

Enough room to add existing sample libraries. Enough power to run multiple engines. Enough peripheral customization to go from basic/budget to full blown.

And if your favorite software ain't on the list... well they'll want to be.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Idea, but it will never happen.

Shoot with a Master's in Computer Science, I'd take a crack at it for sure.

Here's the Rub: Depending on how sheltered the main OS is from the plug-ins, bad code could "Brick" your KRONOS. Which means to break it and essentially turn it into the equivalent of a large brick!

So besides the IP, the quality control, and the sheer stupidity of some people, if this could affect the system and increase services calls or the need for people restoring their Kronos on a frequent basis (And of COURSE, blame KORG on public forums because they don't have the proper programming skills!) It's just a non-starter.
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Is there something inherently wrong with Apple as a corporation

no, it's perfect if you don't have enough money for belonging to Scientology.

It's the same feeling for just a few hundred bucks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: