Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sequencer questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: sequencer questions Reply with quote

I'll admit that I'm a bit out of the loop on a lot of Korg's workstation boards and some of the features. I own an MS2000BR and have owned a TR-Rack and an N5 in the past.

I'm currently rocking an Alesis Fusion as my primary board and while I love it, I am absolutely floored by what I'm seeing with the Kronos. I'm a synth sound programmer to the bone, and the Fusion is a great board for that type of person - the presets aren't the hottest, but it has huge potential when you get under the hood.

Anyway, I'm really considering the Kronos as my next centerpiece (sight unseen obviously) and I had a couple questions about the sequencer. From what I've read, it's fairly similar to the Oasys sequencer, so I figured Oasys owners could chime in with their experiences.

1. I'm assuming that there is a pattern sequencer on board, am I correct? I used to have a Motif6 and really liked the pattern sequencer on there.

2. Can either the pattern or linear sequencer handle multiple meter changes within a pattern? If not/so, please elaborate on what the capabilities are.

3. Is the metronome programmable to custom tuplet/accent patterns? I've gotten around this in the past on other boards by building my own metronome track, but I figured I'd ask.

This is the first time (since the Fusion) that I've been really excited about a piece of keyboard gear. I was really impressed with the Kurzweil PC3x, but based on what I've seen, the capabilities of this thing blow that out of the water. I'm not necessarily looking at the sample based capabilities of the board (though good pianos are important to me), it's the other synth engines that have me captivated.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read!
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have specific answers to your questions (someone else will chime in soon enough), but while you're waiting, check out this online Oasys GUI:

http://www.karma-lab.com/oasys/gui/main.html

Just moving around the various tabs in SEQ mode will give you a pretty good sense of the layout and possibilities.

Cheers.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the pattern sequencing functionality, you really ought to watch this video from Korg on the M3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6TqFbskDc

RPPR stands for Realtime Pattern Play/Record, extremely powerful feature that is in all of Korg's workstation sequencers, and it basically allows you to assign a single pattern to a key. From there you can arrange (much like you can in Ableton Live) with the keys, commit the arrangement to the sequencer, or use it as a live performance tool.

That vid is absolutely worth watching because no only does it help if you own a Korg and want to figure out how to use it (on any of their keyboards), but it also really shows off the raw possibilities offered by the feature
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
radside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Korg sequencers alot and have been exclusively a hardware sequencing guy. However, one thing to note about Korg sequencers as opposed to other sequencers is that the patterns in Korg's sequencers only trigger notes on one midi channel vice several at a time. Karma might be different; I never use it so will refrain from commenting on it. Still, I find the sequencer very useful but I'm not the type to spend hours editing a pattern or sequence...I will usually play the part over.
MC909
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet! thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: