Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound quality difference M3/Kronos/Oasys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Sound quality difference M3/Kronos/Oasys Reply with quote

Strictly for live purposes, for all of you professionals that have used the Oasys and M3, is there really that much of a noticable difference in sound quality between the M3 and Oasys live? I know for recording I have heard there's a huge difference, but live I wouldn't think there would really be that much of a difference. I really like the M3-73, especially the C to C layout semi-weighted keys, and I get the smooth program/combi transition by using Karma so I already have a semi-"set list" feature the Kronos has. I have the funds to purchase a Kronos, but being strictly a live player I'm just wondering if the funds justify the means.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There definitely is a difference: first, M3 uses compressed samples, OASYS/Kronos do not. That alone is enough of difference.

Plus, there are differences between the "seamless" transition using KARMA and proper seamless transition in Kronos. You can change between programs to combis back and forth, preserving all 16 effects from both sides, even though they are completely different. That's not happening on M3.

Yes, if you can afford Kronos, you should simply forget about M3. It is THAT much powerful.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, my M3 will become a 2nd keyboard on stage. Utilizing the Radias / Karma and other GREAT sounds in it. But the Kronos will be my primary keyboard. Set List / Combis will manage all my other boards. If you can afford it, I think it's a great move make a Kronos the center of your setup.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
For me, my M3 will become a 2nd keyboard on stage. Utilizing the Radias / Karma and other GREAT sounds in it. But the Kronos will be my primary keyboard. Set List / Combis will manage all my other boards. If you can afford it, I think it's a great move make a Kronos the center of your setup.

I think it makes no sense to have a Kronos and M3 in the same set-up....

not much at least....

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:

not much at least....

It's certainly possible to have too many sounds, samples and sequences setup that you can't port them all over in a weekend.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sound quality difference M3/Kronos/Oasys Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
The different is so staggeringly huge that when I had them BOTH at my house (OASYS and M3) for 6 weeks, my jaws just DROPPED to the floor in amazement! I could NOT use the M3 for ANYTHING whatsoever.

Well.......... poop. And here, I thought my M3 sounded pretty darn good. Razz

Compared to my Karma, it does, but I guess it's a good thing that I haven't recorded anything yet. I'd hate to have to redo a bunch of stuff with a far better instrument.

On performing live, I'd have to say that unless the sound system is utter crap, differences in quality of instruments will be exaggerated. This is part of the reason that some keyboardists insist on using Kurzweils for years as main synths, and dragging along their modular analogs for key sounds, like Keith Emerson and Jordan Rudess do. Comparing a synth like a Virus and an Andromeda live, the analog Andy has a deeper, juicier quality. No doubt, this is the reason that Jordan has glommed onto his OASYS so much.

I have a Roland JD-990 that I dearly love, but it sounds kind of dull and compressed compared to my M3. I hope the KRONOS doesn't make it weep!
alanforrest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:

not much at least....

I'm thinking of doing the same...purely because I have the RADIAS expansion board, which I'm presuming won't be available in the Kronos, so I'd lose all those sounds, which are hard to replicate. Unless anyone has a better solution? Smile
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a kurzweil(and still do) for my main board for twenty years and have always replaced my second or back up board with a yamaha or a korg.
I love kurzweils,especially for live playing, the sounds are solid and very usable.
I have to say I will be replacing my m3, that over all i haven't been to happy with,(i was happier with my triton classic) with a kronos as long as it sounds as great as people are describing.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k so... questions:

1. i've heard that the OASYS has faster envelopes... how does that translate into better sound quality?

2. Are there any specific examples where the OASYS and M3 use the same program, but b/c of the whole compressed/uncompressed thing, the OASYS is clearly better? I would absolutely LOVE for someone to put some kind of MP3 comparison up that really demonstrates this.

3. a little O/T, but i've heard people have said that the sequencer in the Kronos isn't even as updated as the M3's. Besides the cue list, what's it missing?
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
a little O/T, but i've heard people have said that the sequencer in the Kronos isn't even as updated as the M3's. Besides the cue list, what's it missing?

Track view and "piano roll" editor.
JimH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
2. Are there any specific examples where the OASYS and M3 use the same program, but b/c of the whole compressed/uncompressed thing, the OASYS is clearly better? I would absolutely LOVE for someone to put some kind of MP3 comparison up that really demonstrates this.

Since MP3 files are compressed, I'm not sure that comparison would work. It would have to be WAV files or some other uncompressed format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: