Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Arpeggiator & Step Sequencer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Kronos Arpeggiator & Step Sequencer Reply with quote

Forgive what sounds like a silly question, but per the spec I see that only the PolySix engine has an arpeggiator listed. Is there a basic arpeggiator available globally and/or for the other synths as well?

I understand that Karma is fully integrated and that it is capable of amazing things... but sometimes you just need the speed and simplicity that a good old fashioned arpeggiator brings. Is Karama is able to act as a basic Arp as well?

Regarding the Step Sequencer - is this only found in the HD-1, AL-1 and MOD-7 engines and is it limited to 32 notes? If it is on the HD-1, is it safe to assume I can use it with the drum kits?

Thank you for the clarification.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KARMA can quite easily do a 'basic' Arp.

It is when you want a more complex but specific Arp like the Triton's system that it gets complicated. If you just want straight up/down/trigger patterns then you'll find them in KARMA straight away.

As for the step sequencer, correct me if I'm wrong (someone?) but I'm fairly sure it is a modulation sequencer, as in a source for modulating parameters, not triggering notes.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers X-Trade and thanks for the clarification - much appreciated.

Beyond the basic up/down/rnd/chord I tend to use step sequencers. I have never owned a Korg and know next to nothing about Karma, but I am guessing there is a lot to love there.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never understand why they don't include arps or at least an onboard GE editor. With that, you're playing someone else's music. Sad
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I'll never understand why they don't include arps or at least an onboard GE editor. With that, you're playing someone else's music. Sad

On your M3 (and on your KRONOS when it arrives!), check out the KARMA GEs in the Arpeggiator category (especially the Simple subcategory). Those may be more to your liking.

Best regards,

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
gjvti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:

On your M3 (and on your KRONOS when it arrives!), check out the KARMA GEs in the Arpeggiator category (especially the Simple subcategory). Those may be more to your liking.

Best regards,

- Dan

Hi Dan,
With great respect to your answers, don't you understand that we are talking about arps where we can set our own rhythmic groove, change velocities and gate for each arp step - as we want not as GE is programmed - right on keyboard without using Karma software Smile - Karma software is more advanced things for wavesequencing, cc manipulations and other midi effects
Best regards,
Gunars
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:

Best regards,

- Dan

Hi Dan,
With great respect to your answers, don't you understand that we are talking about arps where we can set our own rhythmic groove, change velocities and gate for each arp step - as we want not as GE is programmed - right on keyboard without using Karma software Smile - Karma software is more advanced things for wavesequencing, cc manipulations and other midi effects
Best regards,
Gunars

Hi Gunars!

The original poster asked about a "good old-fashioned arpeggiator" and a "basic arpeggiator," so that's what I was thinking of.

I appreciate the desire for more onboard editing for arpeggiation patterns, as well, but I'm afraid that's not in the cards for now.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com

Last edited by danatkorg on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
gjvti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Hi Gunars!

The original poster asked about a "good old-fashioned arpeggiator" and a "basic arpeggiator;" hence my answer (and X-trade's as well).

Best regards,

Dan

Oh, I see Smile I thought that most of us, Korg users, think that Triton arpeggiator set a standards for what is "good old-fashioned arpeggiator", but yes, of course, you are right about that if fact good old up and down arps are available already with Karma.
Best regards,
Gunars
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say my band wants to do Kyrie by Mr. Mister (they do actually), I need to program that manually. You can not do that with Karma without a GE editor. After I bought my M3, I bought an M50 (SO much lighter) but also because of the arps. We did a few songs that required custom arps and no infinite number of pre-created GE's will ever fix that.

Even the DW-8000 had a neat arp function that hasn't been replicated since then. Karma's neat and all, but arps (like on the Triton or M50) are very important.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Hi Gunars!

The original poster asked about a "good old-fashioned arpeggiator" and a "basic arpeggiator;" hence my answer (and X-trade's as well).

Best regards,

Dan

Oh, I see Smile I thought that most of us, Korg users, think that Triton arpeggiator set a standards for what is "good old-fashioned arpeggiator

I see! That makes sense as well. Smile

- Dan
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:

Best regards,

- Dan

Hi Dan,
Best regards,
Gunars

Dan, thank you for your answers.

Thanks for noting you unable to adjust velocities and gate for the arps via the Kronos front end Gunars... whilst I do like the good old fashioned Arp, I do, at times, employ velocities and gate adjustments in real time on my XF (the front panel knobs facilitate this).

That said, this limitation is minor for my needs. From the moment I saw the Kronos 61 I knew it would be the perfect compliment to my XF - both synths play off each other's strentghs well I think (I sold off all my unused gear to stream line my workflow down to two synths... the XF and a future TBD synth). I had my eye on the M3 for 2011, but the Kronos answers nearly every wish on my wish list. It is a dream synth in a lot of ways and I congratulate Korg. I have my pre-order for the Kronos 61 in with Nova already! Smile

Regarding the step sequencers in the Analog and HD engines - are they, infact, modulation step sequencers? I think that would be loads of fun to play with, but I would like some clarification on that point.

Thank you!

Last edited by Jive Talking Robot on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do note that you can probably trick the drum track into playing static 'sequences', and in sequencer mode you have the ever-powerful RPPR, which is effectively like 'clips' in Ableton.

Mentioning that, I know you could sample them as loops to a program, but it would be cool to have audio RPPR using the audio tracks on KRONOS....?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Do note that you can probably trick the drum track into playing static 'sequences', and in sequencer mode you have the ever-powerful RPPR, which is effectively like 'clips' in Ableton.

Nice.. you just sparked a ton of ideas. Thanx!!!

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
gjvti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
...but it would be cool to have audio RPPR using the audio tracks on KRONOS....?

you are teasing me Smile I think that abletony touch would sell me right now Smile and obviously if Kronos can stream 4GB piano library it could technically do audio RPPRs as weel, but I guess at first Kronos must prove success of its concept and then we can expect any additional features if at all.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you knew and understood what KARMA can actually do...uugghh!
Especially what you can do with the KM3 Software...dang!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: