Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg's policy re Kronos & demos in general
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Korg's policy re Kronos & demos in general Reply with quote

Do Korg seriously think that having somebody play at 100 mph is the best way to demonstrate the quality of the new pianos contained in the Kronos ?

Is Rudess paid by the note played instead of by the minute on stage ?

As far as I'm concerned, there's more musicality and more interest in a Hotop lick than in people who have "hands full of fingers".

Also, the example of the piano used by John Lehmkuhl in his video "Froezen Ponytail Falls" posted here is doing far more to convince people than what was heard so far.

http://vimeo.com/18865486
Bigs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the JR demo was a nice addition to the other demos. It showed the Kronos can do 'crazy' as well Smile (among other things)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the important point is that people will see Rudess using the KRONOS and this it is a good keyboard. Not so much about the sound but the publicity.

Demos from the Rich and Jack were much more sound-orientated.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the affected "oh... look at me... I can improvise... You've just heard something incredible than will never be repeated..."

For those who like Rudess, don't worry, you'll see him demo the next Roland, Kurzweil... where you'll be treated to more of his antics.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
Not to mention the affected "oh... look at me... I can improvise... You've just heard something incredible than will never be repeated..."
For those who like Rudess, don't worry, you'll see him demo the next Roland, Kurzweil... where you'll be treated to more of his antics.

Oh, come on, Francois, don't hate the guy with that much passion Smile He just has his own way of expressing his vision of music. For Dream Theater, he's a perfect fit. And I actually mean that in a "good" way. If only all of the bands had "their own thing", there would be a lot of unique music all around the world...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eldar demo was just as bad anyway. Or should I say counter-intuitive.

Just tone down guys, this is the Kronos show, not the Eldar or Rudess show. There are many people out there in the classical world who can play even faster than you.

Next time, give us some guys who can show the instrument, not themselves.

Thank God, there are a few videos of Steve McNally doing what he does best.
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg's policy re Kronos & demos in general Reply with quote

Francois wrote:

don't put strange thing in the guy's head,

or Jarre-like 16 hours concerts will become the new standard... Shocked

Imagine if JR was paid by the time spent soloing: hour-long riff sequels...

Caffeine anyone?

I already barely survived Wakeman's stamina (anybody here managed to listen to "Elizabethan Rock" LIVE? With solos and reprises? Confused )...
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Pianos, I've always felt the same way. It's the BODY not the attack of the piano sound that separates the men from the boys! Just about everyone gets the attack right.

When they play a fast flurry of notes, you don't really hear much character of the Piano and what it really sounds like. That's why I never bother to listen to the JR Piano demos. Lead sounds? Sure. Piano? No.
fjs714

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Jordan appears live in Westchester this Sunday. I wonder which keyboard he'll be using.
WorknMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg's policy re Kronos & demos in general Reply with quote

Francois wrote:

Well, I'm of the opinion that if you built an android and taught it to play piano, it would sound just like Rudess, with perfect technique, but no soul whatsoever.

Personally, I don't feel any emotion to his playing at all, so I find that watching him on keys to be like most jazz music - impressive to be sure, but completely uninteresting to listen to, and he's the main reason why I'm not really into Dream Theater anymore. Jordan needs to take his overused 'liquid lead' sound and go home, or else learn how to put some feeling behind his playing. If you told him to play something that's not lightening fast, he'd probably just give you a puzzled look.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg's policy re Kronos & demos in general Reply with quote

Francois wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, there's more musicality and more interest in a Hotop lick than in people who have "hands full of fingers".

I agree whole heartedly,Jack Hotop seems to put more emotion into his performances,and I prefer to see these kinds of demo,Whilst Jordan is a gifted player I find his style anal and boring more akin to trying to make the Keyboard act like a guitarist.

Watching Jordan demo these synths takes away from your actual focus on what it sounds like because your concentrating on his playing which for me is blase, I lose interest very quickly when he plays I just don't dig his style at all.

If you ask Me Korg would make a far better impression if they asked Micheal Waltius Aka keyboardwizard to demo the synths..His You tube demos are brilliant and I wonder how many people he's convinced to by a certain synth he's demoed Even Dave Smith felt his demo of the Prophet 08 good enough to use on his own site Wink
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:

Just tone down guys, this is the Kronos show, not the Eldar or Rudess show. There are many people out there in the classical world who can play even faster than you.

Next time, give us some guys who can show the instrument, not themselves.

totally agreed. I'm fed up to see always the same people demonstrating the same way, each time, some of them even demonstrating all the brands hat could exist !!! is this their fault or the manucaturers' one ?

PN (personnal note): Happy new year sir F. Wink
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same to you RC. Kiss to the little one.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Demos like this on very old Korg synths (and other makes - Yamaha sy series) (15-20+ ago) fast rapid piano riffs. This was obviously done to cover-up the "bad/inferior" samples that were - well, inferior in those days. With the KRONOS, however, there is no excuse!

Tony

JOHN 3:16
tritonlover2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Waltius is a gifted keyboard player no doubt, but even he doesn't play much beyond the presets..in other words he doesn't tweak enough. There was a guy from Sonic State (Not Nick) who plays and programs it really well, simply enjoyed his tutorials and demos on actual synth stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: