Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AL-1 Sound Demos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

I have not been playing Korgs since Trinity times.

Now I am interested in the Kronos and would like to know more about it's synth engines.

First of all:
Do you (or the Oasys users among you) know URLs with a good overview demoing AL-1 sounds?

I'm not after some bell sounds and atmosheres, rather would like to hear how anything from classical analog synth stuff up to modern electronica sounds from the AL-1.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I have not been playing Korgs since Trinity times.

Now I am interested in the Kronos and would like to know more about it's synth engines.

First of all:
Do you (or the Oasys users among you) know URLs with a good overview demoing AL-1 sounds?

I'm not after some bell sounds and atmosheres, rather would like to hear how anything from classical analog synth stuff up to modern electronica sounds from the AL-1.

Hi Jim!

Peter Schwartz did a cool video back in the OASYS days. The sound appears to include speakers in the room (not just direct line-out from the synth) so the audio isn't perfect, but it's a great overview with lots of technical details.

http://www.korg.com:80/mediaplayer.aspx?md=1855&pd=214

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

Best regards,
Dan

Thanks for the link on the old videos.

Do you have a link for the old Oasys sound demos as well? I'm missing them....
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

Hi Jim!

Peter Schwartz did a cool video back in the OASYS days. The sound appears to include speakers in the room (not just direct line-out from the synth) so the audio isn't perfect, but it's a great overview with lots of technical details.

Best regards,

Dan

Dan -

"...back in the OASYS days."

What is that about? It's still the OASYS days - take a look at the OASYS forum - it's been buzzing lately. And new music is still emeging on it - I was at Herbie Hancock recently and OASYS features quite heavily on his amazing, CURRENT album "The Imagine Project". What the hell is going on in your company regarding OASYS - it's like "Bedford Wives" - like you're all programmed to pretend OASYS never existed, or that it's some distant, unimportant event?! About the most curious marketing ploy I've ever come across - honestly!

Kevin.
WWW: www.knect.ie
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks posting this link! Very helpful.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I guessed from the specs that it should be cool, and it seems to sound great, even judged through this limited recording quality.

Very stunned about that degree of being alias-free in a VA as well!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 Sound Demos? Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Hi Jim!

Best regards,

Dan

Dan -

"...back in the OASYS days."

What is that about? It's still the OASYS days - take a look at the OASYS forum - it's been buzzing lately. And new music is still emeging on it - I was at Herbie Hancock recently and OASYS features quite heavily on his amazing, CURRENT album "The Imagine Project". What the hell is going on in your company regarding OASYS - it's like "Bedford Wives" - like you're all programmed to pretend OASYS never existed, or that it's some distant, unimportant event?! About the most curious marketing ploy I've ever come across - honestly!

Kevin.

Suspect there won't be a reply to that post Kevin, sorry Rolling Eyes

But there damn well should be.

Really Dan - 'back in the OASYS days'?; have you looked under the bonnet (sorry, hood) of what has just been launched? It still is the OASYS days - the OASYS has just been dressed up in mass-market clothes, using cheaper components and with a few extras bolted on top and the concept, the heart and lungs of Kronos remains to be OASYS.

We know it.

Korg's specs prove it that they know it.

So, why be silent about it?

Maybe it's because any Korg response to such posts might be expose Korg to legal risk... ? Think
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wasn't that the concept of the Oasys right from the start?

To build a software-based multi engine concept into hardware, and do that in times, when this concept still had to be luxury, just to be ready and present at the time when the required hardware progress could bring it to a mass market?

They probably coudn't be as sure about it all from the start, and probably had some uncertain moments over the years. But now they earn the fruits.

I don't want to exaggerate, but from hindsight it looks like a strategically very well played game of chess, resulting in a mate for the competition.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

It has always been right. What changed was the "price" that the technology could be offered at.

BTW, I will be posting some examples from the synth engines, via Youtube. I got a little carried away - the video auditions 80 sounds in 35 minutes! I need to whittle it down to less than half. Laughing

KEVIN NOLAN? I hope you don't mind.... I used several of your free programs in the demos; that's how good I think they are.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

It has always been right. What changed was the "price" that the technology could be offered at.

BTW, I will be posting some examples from the synth engines, via Youtube. I got a little carried away - the video auditions 80 sounds in 35 minutes! I need to whittle it down to less than half. Laughing

KEVIN NOLAN? I hope you don't mind.... I used several of your free programs in the demos; that's how good I think they are.

Look forward to hearing them/seeing the video, Mike!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm VERY curious to see the video(s).
Don't break it down to half!
Make two of it! Cool

BTW I just thought, THAT would be great:
to see some signature patches (I guess the EPianos ones were prepared by Korg staff and only fine tuned by the well known musicians) for the AL-1:

Just asked myself what people like George Duke, Jan Hammer and Herbie Hancock would do with that engine. Smile
Other names from other music genres could be named as well.

Last edited by jimknopf on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jive Talking Robot wrote:
Thanks posting this link! Very helpful.

Jive do you regret purchasing the XF now?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I'm VERY curious to see the video(s).
Don't break it down to half!
Make two of it! Cool

I did just that (25 minutes worth, split into two). One is uploaded, the second is coming. (will post soon)

I don't want to mislead you with the pianos, I concentrated on synth sounds and how animated some of those engines can get. I hope they are still helpful to you, though.
robinkle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is some Jean Michel Jarre signature sounds in it. Smile
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

Hi Mike - of course no problem - and thanks for the vote of confidence in the sounds. I should point out that the downloadable PCG files were commented on by Daz, Sharp and Dan Phillips (apologies if I've forgotten anyone) providing significant pointers on improving them so they deserve that credit (and thanks). Note I have that page with my free to download sounds for AL-1, STR-1 and MOD-7 (including the DX/FM 200,000 program archive) is down at the moment but I will make it available again in a few days (want to remove one or two old pcg files and neaten it up but I will have the page up very shortly and well before Kronos ships). Looking forward to your video Mike - your other OASYS Youtube Videos are great; and to repay the compliment - to prospective Kronos owners - Mike's OASYS tutorial DVD is excellent and will cover most of the Kronos basics too (I'm not in business with Mike - so no dubious promotion going on here!).

Cheers,
Kevin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: