Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Microstation - How can i arrange patches?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Korg Microstation - How can i arrange patches? Reply with quote

Hi,

This might be a silly question, but can't seem to work it out.

Is there anyway using the Microstation editor software to rearrange the presets?
I cannot work out how. Ideally if i could drag and drop the presets in the order i like that would be perfect.

Reason being is that then i can setup the first 10 or so patches of every category are the ones i use most often/my favourite sounds Smile and when at a gig it is easy/quick to go to jump my fave sounds, rather than trying to remember preset numbers etc etc.

any thoughts would be awesome! Smile
stray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any thoughts? can't seem to work this out..
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program button. Utility button. Write program. Move to different program. Read program.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another quick thought - if you are concerned about overwriting a patch that you want to keep, I recall that there were approx 30 "blank" program spots on the Microstation somewhere at the end of the sounds list?

Perhaps using the process described by xmlguy, you could arrange the sounds carefully to be in the order that you like without losing anything.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no particular magic associated with the "first ten". The last ten should be just as accessible.

If there are blank spots at the end of one of the banks, that would seem to be the logical place to "organize" your favorites.

I'm not familiar enough with the micro's architecture to comment further, except to advise you to look for a librarian program, whose main function is to do exactly what you want to do.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Microstation - How can i arrange patches? Reply with quote

stray wrote:
Is there anyway using the Microstation editor software to rearrange the presets?
Reason being is that then i can setup the first 10 or so patches of every category are the ones i use most often/my favourite sounds

Are you looking to rearrange programs or combis?

Rearranging programs is a bad idea because it will mess up any Combis that use those programs. For example, let's say there is a Combi that uses the first Keyboard sound as one of its elements, a sound that is normally acoustic piano. Now if you decide you want your first Keyboard patch to be organ, when you pick that combi, it will use the organ patch that you moved there instead of using piano. (And unfortunately, when you move programs around, whether on the unit itself or in the editor, it does not warn you about this.)

The solution is to leave all the programs in their places, and copy your favorites into the empty slots of your USER area for quick access. Then all the Combis are left intact, and you can simply go to the USER category and have instant one-button access to your favorite 16 sounds in any order you want, numbered 1 through 16. Better yet, you can create your own Combis... because because you can create 8 pages of them (128 empty custom combi locations) whereas there are only 32 locations for your own programs (unless you want to erase some of the ones that are there). And a Combi can contain nothing but a single program if you want. But that's a little more complicated. So for the sake of simplicity, here's the program method.

Let's say you want the 2nd sound of the String category (002:Arco Str) to be Sound #1 in your USER Category.

Make sure the PROG button is lit.

Click on the CATEGORY field to get the pop-up menu, and select the USER category.

Locate the program slot where you want your sound to end up. In this case, we want it to go into the first location, which is displayed as D096 INIT PROG. Write that down. (Note that I am assuming that your USER category is correctly empty, with nothing but INIT PROGs.)

We got the information we came for, so hit Cancel.

Now let's go get the sound we want. Click on the CATEGORY field to get the pop-up menu, and select the Strings category.

Click on the sound you want to copy (in this case, the second sound, A070 Arco Str), and hit OK.

Click on the UTILITY button to get the pop-up menu, and select WRITE PROGRAM...

In the left panel, under where it says "1. Select Category" change the pop down from Strings to USER.

Look at the number you wrote down, in this case D096.

At the bottom of that panel, where it says "4. Choose Destination" change the pop-down menu from A to D (because the first character of D096 is D).

Click in the field immediately under the D (it probably says 070 Marimba).

Hit the Up Arrow key on your keyboard until that field gets to 096 INIT PROG (completing the entry of the D096 number we wrote down as our destination location).

Hit OK, and on the "Are You Sure" dialog, hit OK again.

And then be thankful you only have to do this 15 more times for your other 15 sounds. Wink

I'm new to the Microstation myself, I'm not an expert, but as far as I can tell, this is the way to do it. I did this on a Mac, but the PC software is probably identical. (You can also go through a similar process on the Microstation itself, if you don't want to connect to the computer.)

Last edited by Scott on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
There's no particular magic associated with the "first ten". The last ten should be just as accessible.

The magic of the first ten--or actually, on the Microstation, the first 16--is that they are immediately available when you pick a category, and can be selected with a single button press. Accessing anything other than the first 16 requires that you navigate away from the default set of 16 to some other set of 16. Not terrible, but it's still at least three more buttons you have to press to get to the sounds you want.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then they also have to be the first 16 in that category.

If there's a user category to stow stuff in that would be your best bet.

You should have the option of bank and category select.

Bank select pulls from a single bank -- in order; so your voices would have to be in the first 16 slots to appear in the order you want.

Category pulls from multiple banks, but are still and are filled in order, regardless of position. It would seem to me there would still be a problem with selecting by category unless there were a way to overwrite unused programs ALL in single category and in category order.

---------

The "all combis" method -- even for nominally single programs, looks like it would work best. Pick a category there you dont typically use , like sound effects, and make that your user bank.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Then they also have to be the first 16 in that category.

If there's a user category to stow stuff in that would be your best bet.

Yes, that was my advice exactly. Because rearranging the first 16 in any of the categories other than USER will also affect existing Combis.

billbaker wrote:
You should have the option of bank and category select.

Not on the Microstation. Sounds can only be selected by category, not by bank. Internally, they are arranged by bank, but they cannot be front panel selected in that manner.

The categoies are:

* Keyboards
* Strings/brass/woodwind
* Guitar
* Bass and bass splits
* Synth
* Lead and solo split
* Drum/mallet/hits

There is also an "All" category selector (simply, all of the above in one master list) and USER.

Bank selection, then, is not part of the usual operation of the keyboard. However, you do need to make note of the underlying bank and program location when you're moving sounds as I described, and of course, that information is also used when calling up patches remotely via MIDI.

Last edited by Scott on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up THEN initialize (or be ready to overwrite) USER.

I can't think of a way to get this to work without overwriting something if you don't have access via a librarian program to shuffle sounds at the combi level for you without losing something.

Document the order and where you want sounds to appear. You may end up with some sounds appearing as pre-sets and set-list.

Remember the overwrite is a TEMPORARY thing, you should be able to revert to the factory or your last set automatically. Remember to use date in the .PCG name so you know which is your most recent back-up. Then something like "GIG021412" for the shuffled data.

BB

Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
I can't think of a way to get this to work without overwriting something

There are empty slots in the USER category where you can place copies of sounds without overwriting anything, that's what I was advising.

If you do want to move things around in other categories (taking note of the problem of moving programs if combis rely on them), you can do that by taking the current occupant of your destination slot, moving it to an empty USER slot so you don't lose it, then moving the desired sound to your destination. Then you can move the first sound back to where the other sound came from, or continue to move things around in all kinds of ways, just using the empty USER slots as temporary holding locations.

Last edited by Scott on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so that's two wise sages, telling you the same thing!

Cheers Scott.

BB

Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed there were two spots where I'd used the word "bank" when I meant "category" -- I have edited those posts to correct them. Sorry for any confusion.
Dr Feelgood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through trial and error and a bit of reading through the manual, I've come to find out that you are literally sh*t out of luck if you happen to erase or alter by accident-any of the factory patches that are shipped with the MS. There isn't a dedicated 'revert back to original patch' button/feature anywhere in the machine's editing matrix. Confused

According to the manual you would have to hook your MS up to a computer interface, using the included editing software to reinstate any of the lost or altered patches. This is great for those who have the money invested in such a setup, and simply tough luck for those who don't have their MS's integrated into such a system. Come on KORG!! Mad Confused
Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://soundcloud.com/dr-feelgood
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Feelgood wrote:
you would have to hook your MS up to a computer interface, using the included editing software to reinstate any of the lost or altered patches. This is great for those who have the money invested in such a setup

You probably have access to a computer. The Korg software is free. All you need is a USB cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: