Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notation solution?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Notation solution? Reply with quote

So, Cakewalk is coming out with their newest version on Dec 8th, "Sonar X1." Once again, they haven't done a thing with the notation view feature of the program (which has remained relatively untouched since like Sonar 2.0. I'm entirely dependent on this program for sequencing and a number of other small functions. On occasion, I've had the need to transpose a piano part or two for a pianist, and usually ended up writing the darn thing out by hand (which takes FOREVER) because their notation feature looks terrible when you realtime-record parts instead of clicking the notes in with the cursor. It would be by far easier to sequence it, and transpose it, and print it out, but I would need a separate program for that.

The obvious best solution is to buy a program like Sibelius or Finale and import a SMF from Sonar into that to print it out, but those programs are very expensive. Does anyone know of a notation program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and handles MIDI Data --> Notation reasonably well? I don't need to to write vast instrumental scores... just maybe a piano and vocal staff and have it look semi-professional. Something like "Encore" from the mid 90's (although i'm pretty sure that's discontinued...pretty buggy, anyways). Thanks for any input you have. You people are pretty smart so i figured i'd ask the pros...
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Notation solution? Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
So, Cakewalk is coming out with their newest version on Dec 8th, "Sonar X1." Once again, they haven't done a thing with the notation view feature of the program (which has remained relatively untouched since like Sonar 2.0. I'm entirely dependent on this program for sequencing and a number of other small functions. On occasion, I've had the need to transpose a piano part or two for a pianist, and usually ended up writing the darn thing out by hand (which takes FOREVER) because their notation feature looks terrible when you realtime-record parts instead of clicking the notes in with the cursor. It would be by far easier to sequence it, and transpose it, and print it out, but I would need a separate program for that.

The obvious best solution is to buy a program like Sibelius or Finale and import a SMF from Sonar into that to print it out, but those programs are very expensive. Does anyone know of a notation program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and handles MIDI Data --> Notation reasonably well? I don't need to to write vast instrumental scores... just maybe a piano and vocal staff and have it look semi-professional. Something like "Encore" from the mid 90's (although i'm pretty sure that's discontinued...pretty buggy, anyways). Thanks for any input you have. You people are pretty smart so i figured i'd ask the pros...

I've been using Finale for many years now, but I 've always used the full version, because i write or edit big scores, but I know Finale has cheaper and simpler versions. You might look into those, and i'm sure you'll find the right price for your need.

Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! I will look into that! Thanks for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: