Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCM without hard disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: PCM without hard disk Reply with quote

When I turned on the keyboard today,I heard a noise which came from harddisk.Then the keyboard turned on in a very long time.Because of this I thought the problem is with harddrive.I unplugged the cable then I installed the os v2.52 and the restore datas.When I tried to load pcm datas a message appeared "Pcm data can not be loaded because no harddisk is present.Isn't it possible to load pcm without harddisk?Harddisk was optional when I bought it.Meanwhile the keyboard is pa1x.

And is it possible to load pcm to rom or another section excluding harddisk,or is it possible to run pcm files from cd drive?

Thanks
centauramp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Hard drive not present Reply with quote

Sound s like you lost your hard drive. It is posible that the bearings in your drive have gotten stuck. This can happen when the weather turns cold. Try leaving the keyboard turned on for an hour or two even though it won't load the operating system, it should warm up. Then turn off and then right back on and see if it try"s to load. Other things can go bad in the hard drive, so you may have to replace it. In the onwers manual starting on page 395 shows how to install a new hard drive. Also it shows how to format the drive. Once formated you should be able to connect it to your computer. There you can copy the operating system and factory resources.
I don't no about the loading of the pcm to rom. There's a lot of other people on this fourm that have more on hands experiance with this subject.

If you have more ?s my email is centauramp@aol.com good luck
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 4 types of memory in your Pa1x. Rom, Ram, SSD(solid state disk) and Hard Drive (if you have one).
Rom is fixed and can't be changed or addressed - it contains the factory samples.
Ram is 16 or 32mb and is for storing PCM when your keyboard is turned on and loaded - as soon as you turn it off its lost. Any user PCM is loaded here ready for use but remember it loads from your hard drive when you turn the keyboard on.
SSD is a basic user addressable re-writable memory that stays even when the keyboard is turned off - BUT its very small - just a few kilobytes for each SSD location (User sound slots). This memory in fact does not have any sounds in it at all , just parameters for the samples (such as which samples to address, which effect to use etc. it is not large enough to store sounds and its not designed for it anyway.
Hard Disk - you will never fill this up in a million years unless you have thousands of midi files stored here. Its for midi files, backups, sound sets (containing PCM) and some direct HD styles.
Hope this makes sense - I think I've got this right.
Best regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: