Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to connect the korg m3 module to other keyboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
payamusic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: how to connect the korg m3 module to other keyboard Reply with quote

hi
i just wondering how to connect the m3 module to other keyboard?
_joe_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think you will get much replies here for that question cause that's the first thing you read in the manual, just read the first 5 pages and you will know all the available settings you could achieve with your M3 module
payamusic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanx for the reply
actually i don't have the m3 yet i'll buy it soon but the only things that i want to know is,is it just connect by midi cable or usb cable
and dose it connect to any keyboard for example roland d-50?
dswtan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard MIDI. Keyboard Out --> M3 In.
_joe_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the money to go for the whol M3 with the 61 keybeds, i highly advice you to do so, you will have a "complete solution" not to mention the amazing keys, the Sw1 Sw2 buttons, the XY joystick (beats roland pitch bend) and the ribbon controller.

you will also have an easier life cause you wouldn't have to set the midi channel when using the sequencer, some say it's a plus, some don't.

Sorry if my previous comment sounded harsh or something, but personally whenever i have a question i read all over the manual first and then when im stuck i post it here, keeps the forum clean and engages users to answer.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 61 key M3 for a grand or less used.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
cminor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe me I have done the same mistake with a fantom-xr !!!
You will regret that some of the keybed features are not on that "external" midi controller.
Now I have a M3-61 AND a midi controller (actually a SP76 Kurzweil) , conected and I am using the combi system at maximum...
Yes, it is expensive with the keybed but, you will find one day that a single keyboard is not too much...
And as I search, the keybed is not for sale stand-alone...
I was searching for a 73...
dswtan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the difficulty of getting M3 keybeds on their own (I don't believe they were ever sold separately), you might consider getting a Triton keyboard and using it as a controller. Various are available quite inexpensively used, and you get the bonus of an additional synth for perhaps less money than the M3 keys alone.

I use a Triton Extreme 88 as a weighted controller for my M3 rack, as well as a nice synth in its own right. It comes with the X-Y joystick, ribbon and SW1/2 buttons, so is very compatible with the M3 -- as long as you don't mind the space/weight.
drogan88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: M3m won't change track with triton controller Reply with quote

My m3m is being controlled by my triton studio and everything works as expected but I can not change the track in sequence Mode on the m3. It is always on track one. I can record on other tracks using multi record but if I want to edit a specific track then I need to be able to change the m3m to that track and I can't. Any help would be appreciated .
cminor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how much is a triton studio/extreme/le comparing to original keybed of the M3? does it go cheaper or does it worth?
that is the question...
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: M3m won't change track with triton controller Reply with quote

drogan88 wrote:
My m3m is being controlled by my triton studio and everything works as expected but I can not change the track in sequence Mode on the m3. It is always on track one. I can record on other tracks using multi record but if I want to edit a specific track then I need to be able to change the m3m to that track and I can't. Any help would be appreciated .

It seems that there is no simple workaround for SEQ MIDI channel switching issue with M3M.

See Tips p3 at
http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m3:controlling-m3-with-external-keyboard
Mike Bunker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payamusic,
Go to korg.com and download the manual. You can read about anything you want to know about the M3 before you waste your money on Roland or Yamaha. I think you want the Operations Guide, but there are other interesting manuals to download, such as the External Setup Guide and the Voice List(s).

http://www.korg.com/SupportResults.aspx?productid=280
-Mike
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cminor wrote:
believe me I have done the same mistake with a fantom-xr !!!
You will regret that some of the keybed features are not on that "external" midi controller.

It's really not the same. A Fantom XR is missing a whole bunch of what's on the Fantom, a Korg M3M is missing almost nothing from an M3-61/73/88. The Korg keyboards are great, but for someone who likes the board(s) they have and who doesn't want to add a second (or third, or fourth) board to get the M3 functionality, the module makes a lot of sense. Especially for live gigging, where the Korg keyboards are on the heavy side.
cminor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the X/Y joystick IS a big loss...
and after a while, everybody will miss the second key controller because the M3 system to change the programs is not fast and not easy.
you have to program pads, and lose those controllers this way.
Not to mention that if you are working multipart (or multitrack) on the same midi channel , the ProgramChange/CC00/32 will make a mess...
I use it this way:part 1-4 set as GCh but with upper zone as B3 maximum.
5-8 GCh with lower zone as C4,the part 9. 11. 12 on external keyboard as midi in 2,3,4 and 5. part 10 is set to Drum Track, 13-14, on the 6 -7 (split external) and 15-16 for pads.
In a simple scheme , I have 5 zones of action:
1- lower zone of M3 (under the C4)
2- upper zone of M3 (above C4, including)
3 - pads of the M3 (used as FX triggers, samples most of...)
4 - lower zone of the External Keyboard (>midi in of the M3)
5- upper zone of the External Keyboard.

Using a SP76 Kurzweil, I can set even 3 zones on the external Keyboard with the Zone Menu of the M3.

Anyway..
It's much easy for me to make a combi for each song, then memorize where the hell was that program and what name does it have?
It's true that M3 have many options on the module itself then Fantom-X/XR but...
The midi in... will not be available too.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cminor wrote:
the X/Y joystick IS a big loss...
and after a while, everybody will miss the second key controller because the M3 system to change the programs is not fast and not easy.
you have to program pads, and lose those controllers this way.
Not to mention that if you are working multipart (or multitrack) on the same midi channel , the ProgramChange/CC00/32 will make a mess...
I use it this way:part 1-4 set as GCh but with upper zone as B3 maximum.
5-8 GCh with lower zone as C4,the part 9. 11. 12 on external keyboard as midi in 2,3,4 and 5. part 10 is set to Drum Track, 13-14, on the 6 -7 (split external) and 15-16 for pads.
In a simple scheme , I have 5 zones of action:
1- lower zone of M3 (under the C4)
2- upper zone of M3 (above C4, including)
3 - pads of the M3 (used as FX triggers, samples most of...)
4 - lower zone of the External Keyboard (>midi in of the M3)
5- upper zone of the External Keyboard.

Using a SP76 Kurzweil, I can set even 3 zones on the external Keyboard with the Zone Menu of the M3.

Anyway..
It's much easy for me to make a combi for each song, then memorize where the hell was that program and what name does it have?
It's true that M3 have many options on the module itself then Fantom-X/XR but...
The midi in... will not be available too.

MIDI In is on the M3-M module, you don't need the keyboard for that.

The only things the keyboard adds to the M3 (besides the keys, of course) are: joystick, ribbon, SW1, and SW2.

I don't understand how changing programs is easier with the keyboard. Don't you just do that with the touchscreen? Same thing with programming the pads, assigning zones, making and naming combinations (and calling them up by name via the touchscreen)... I just don't understand what you're saying here, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: