Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Radias what I'm looking for?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbslo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Is the Radias what I'm looking for? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm new to synths, and actually electronic music as a whole. I'd like to get started though as I've been playing guitar and piano for years and would like to try something different. I want to get a sampler (I'm thinking the ESX-1) and a synthesizer, but not sure what to get. I've watched a lot of demo's online and really like the ones that have a lot of knobs and buttons so I can change the sound to what I want on the fly. I also the sequencer in the ESX, so if a synth has that, even better.
After a while of looking, I'm thinking the Radias is what I want. Lots of knobs and a step sequencer. Before I buy though I just wanted to know if there is something else I should be looking at. Possibly the MicroKorg. Is there a better synth for that amount of money? Is there a better sampler than the ESX for that amount of money?
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance.
bobbslo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, one last thing. Not sure if it's important but I'm not really into dance music or techno. I like creating weird music/sounds with awkward time signatures with lots of dissonance. Nothing fast, just slower paced music that gives more of that uncomfortable feeling.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I replied to a similar post in the Electribe section recently - possibly by you?

Anyway, the Radias is a very powerful and often underrated synth. More than a VA (virtual analog), it does a lot of more traditionally 'digital' sounds too, extremes, and in between.

It is perfect for screaming leads or evolving pads. The synth engine is incredibly flexible. I'd be tempted to say it almost rivals some modular setups, although it is by no means modular...

The included sounds were mostly dance and trance orientated. I didn't use any of them. When I got the Radias I was playing in a progressive rock band so used a lot of analog synth sounds, organs, EPs and pads. To be honest I even preferred a lot of the organ and EP sounds to those on my Karma and TR workstations, which is unusual for a 'VA'.

I do a lot more dance/pop with rock elements now. Possibly a kind of 'electro', alongside ambient and soundtrack music.

You have to remember that presets are generally there to show off what the synthesizer can do. That is inclusive, not exclusive. Meaning the presets may be all dance orientated because they think mainly dance keyboard players would want to buy the unit, but equally as a rock player there are plenty of patches available online (including some large sound packs by my self), and then the main thing about a synthesizer is that it is there to design and tweak your own sounds, either from scratch or by using an existing patch or someone else's as a starting point.

The step sequencers can also be set to any pattern length - I've got some great ambient soundscapes where the step sequencers are set to non-multiple pattern lengths, giving endlessly changing rhythms and patterns.

There are still a fair number of parameters 'hidden' behind the screen but all the main ones are on the front panel. but if you ignore the screen you may be missing out somewhat! the navigation is fairly simple with just up/down and an alpha wheel, and then page +/-. You can jump to the first page of a synth section using the 16 keys along the bottom if you like, and then use the page+ to get to the additional pages for a section.

Or use the software editor. I do all my editing on the hardware itself though.

The step sequencer on the Radias does have up to 32 steps, or 64 if you want to chain the two sequencers together. But you can't scroll through patterns on the fly like you can on the EMX and ESX and other Electribes. The Radias is still primarily a performance synthesizer where you might have a drum beat or bassline or something programmed and hit 'on/off' to start it whilst you are performing.
The step sequencers are similar to the electribes though and you can enter polyphonic (chords) into the sequencer steps, and turn them on and off using the 16 keys along the bottom (when you've got them in the appropriate mode).

It IS a good companion to an electribe though. I use an ES1 alongside mine.
The kind of music you say you want to create sounds quite similar to some of the stuff I like to do.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
bobbslo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. yeah that was me on the electribe forum.
i can get a used microkorg for $275, is the radias worth the extra $300?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Features-wise it is worth almost 10x the microKorg.

a quick rundown:

Radias--/--microKorg
24 note* / 4 note polyphony*
4 timbres* / 2 timbres*
2 filters + waveshaper or drive / 1 filter
1 continuously variable type filter / fixed filter
3 EGs / 2 EGs
2 LFOs / 2 LFOs
2x Step Seq + Arp / Arp
3x modulation sequencer / nothing
NINE simultaneous FX modules (2 IFX per timbre + 1 Total) / Two 'fixed' FX modules
per-timbre EQ / master EQ
6 virtual patch slots / 4 virtual patch slots
PCM sample waveforms + selection of DWGS / just DWGS waveforms
select any modulation type for standard oscillator types / fixed modulation type for each waveform
audio input + envelope follower + internal routing bus / audio input
(optional) 49 full-size keys, with detachable module / 37 mini-keys

*(polyphony is shared between timbres for both synths. so on MK for example, a two-timbre patch only plays two notes at once. On the Radias a four timbre patch could still play up to 6 notes at once)

The list could probably go on longer, but that already covers a lot. The microKorg is a great little entry level synth, and for a lot of people it does everything they need. And it does pack a lot of power for the size and the money. However it is by no means anywhere near the most powerful synthesis engine available.
If you want something in a microkorg-like package, but with more features like the Radias, the R3 is definately worth looking at. It is only about a half or a third of the functionality of the radias.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have a look also to Waldorf Blofed, it's simple excellent for texture, evolving pad, weird sounds and similar... also a V-synth could be a great buy.

then you can have a look to the analog world, the DSI evolver (desktop or mono-key) is a great machine even if just mono-phonic but assure 4 indipendet step-sequencer, absurd modulation possibilities, analog OSC plus digital wavetable and so on... or also the DSI Tetra that gives you a pure 4-voices analog sounds.

i have had R3 and blofeld, currently have korg m3 and now going with analog stuff (DSI, Mfb, doepfer) and i have to say that when you hear analog synths you hear the difference with respect to VA or ROMpler... a single note from weird moduladed analog synth often is much better that a 128-voices from a VA...
nene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Not a seasoned pro, thus cant offer any advise like X Trade does ( his advise are normally invaluable Smile ).

However, be prepared to yearn for another Radias R after you have got the Radias... Like power in real life, you just yearn for more after you have a sniff of it.
diegombass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm a bass player and I plug my bass guitar in the radias. I synthetize my bass and my voice through this machine, simultaneously, and play some drums sequences or/and arp synth --> 4 timbres, you can use it as you want in your live set.

Besides, I make my studio music. www.myspace.com/diegombass
Most of these songs are made with the radias sounds.

Regards!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: