Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

73 key vs 88 key on the SV-1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riffwrangler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: 73 key vs 88 key on the SV-1 Reply with quote

Hi! I had a chance to play the SV-1 and I fell in love. I am thinking about getting one as soon as I can. I'm debating between the 73 key and the 88 key. I'm a piano player and love a full 88 key board. I also see the price is only $200 different. That said, the 73 key form factor sure looks great, all in red and it seems "right".

I worry that I would really miss the low E D and C keys though, for my basses. I would love a little feedback from anyone who has gone either way...whether you love the 73 key even though you're used to 88, or whether you think the 88 is the way to go!

In regards to cases, setting up, portability, is there a big difference? ANY thoughts appreciated! Thanks so much.
buckyboyns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: 73 or 88 Reply with quote

I'm a piano player too. With the 73 you can push just one button to transpose up or down 12 notes. You actually end up with more than 88 notes!
riffwrangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 88 Reply with quote

buckyboyns wrote:
I'm a piano player too. With the 73 you can push just one button to transpose up or down 12 notes. You actually end up with more than 88 notes!

Hi Buckyboyns! Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it. So, are you saying that because of the transpose feature, that you don't miss the lower end at all? Do you think that the 73 key form factor is better?

I really want to make sure that I make the right choice on this one. Would you say that the tradeoff in keys is more than offset by the size/weight?

Any further info would be really great, from anyone. Thanks again!
PS. I love the SV1 it's aggressive, just what I love in a distorted rhodes!
Dave Ferris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more a pianist (my home piano is a Steinway D ) then a keyboardist and I opted for the 88 after using the 73 on a few gigs. It just felt more comfortable. The weight seems more evenly distributed on the 88 where on the 73 it's like picking up a dense 38 lb. weight.

If you haven't purchased one yet, my 88 is for sale. It's in brand new condition purchased on 7/16/10. PM me for details if you're interested. I'm in the LA, Ca. area.

2005 NY Steinway D
The Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purposely chose the SV-1 73 over the 88 for several reasons. First I own two 88's already so that was a factor, but I bought my SV-1 to be used in live band/jam situations where the lower/higher notes don't matter as much (in fact they can cause conflicts with the bass player). Likewise the band gigs often present me with space challenges and I've had to cram into some tiny spaces where the 73 note keyboard worked well. And I also bought my SV-1 as a modern day replicant of my beloved Rhodes 73 from the 1970's. The SV-1 73 and the Rhodes 73 have the same key range and notes.

Mostly I just dug the overall form factor and vibe of the 73. It's not a piano, not really... it's a sexy retro jack-of-all-trades that happens to have a pretty nice acoustic piano in addition to a wide range of classic keyboard sounds from EP's to B3's, cheezy organs, funky clavs and more. I really dig playing it for what it is and getting the most out of what 73 notes can do. And my fellow musos on stage like it too.

If I was limited to owning only one keyboard then as a pianist I would have to pick the 88, but fortunately I can afford to have a digital piano for dressy gigs that call for it and the SV-1 73 as a special niche instrument for those nights that I want to get my hands a little dirty, if you know what I mean....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: