Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My New Addition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiqMat

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: My New Addition Reply with quote

Have had the M3 and Radias-R for over a year now and was still looking for that ultimate hardware sampler workstation with a knock your socks off sequencer where the M3 fell short and I found it. Just picked up a brand new Roland MV-8800 (in the background with the 16 pads) and maxed its internal RAM to 512MB and its internal hard drive to 160GB (127.99GB formatted). The MV-8800 has not only a DAW style linear sequencer like the M3, but it also has a full featured multi-track pattern sequencer that has every feature I have been looking for in a workstation sequencer and you can hook up a VGA monitor and mouse to it to boot. Now I can write up to 500 multi-track patterns per song and chain those patterns to form a complete song. Very intuitive interface. It is a dream machine as far as I am concerned and it just dropped to $995.00 from $2000.00 because Roland just discontinued them. Controlling it with my M3. I like Ableton, but working on the MV-8800 is a completely different experience. Having a blast writing again. Sounds Good

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice machine...a friend of mine has it and i was making fun of him,
lol, he paid like 2000 for it a while ago...i told him for that money to get a
computer and a DAW but everyone is used to something different.
I personally can never sequence again on a machine like this, not even M3
itself or any Hardware Synth at all.
LiqMat

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: The experience Reply with quote

Exactlly as you said. Everyone is used to something different. I use Ableton for all my final stage product, but I love working on the MV during my sandbox stage of writing. It's not that it is better in any way just a different approach that I prefer.
Moonshine

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your setup looks quite nice! I'm also more familiar sequencing with a computer but there's a place for everyone. I read a little bit about that machine and it seems to be quite logical to use Smile
biggrime

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Congrats! Nice machine...a friend of mine has it and i was making fun of him,
lol, he paid like 2000 for it a while ago...i told him for that money to get a
computer and a DAW but everyone is used to something different.
I personally can never sequence again on a machine like this, not even M3
itself or any Hardware Synth at all.

I have more experience with seq on cakewalk sonar. Once I got around on the M3. I could never do it again on the computer. I have tried and I just can't do it. Hardware is just a lot more fun and the work flow is better. I just don't think you can replace that.

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
LiqMat

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

I agree with you biggrime. I love sequencing on my MV by far over computer or the M3, but Ableton Live, for me, is priceless when it comes to putting the finishing touches on final production audio tracks after all the writing is done on a song. That is the main point with me. Always take the time to really examine and research before you purchase. Workflow is the most important aspect to me and that is a very relative and individualized decision. There is no "right" way when it comes to the workflow. I made the mistake last year, after being out of electronic music for 10 years, by jumping into the M3 without much research and I regret not researching in more detail, but I have grown to like the M3 for sound design. I try to never use factory sounds if possible and the M3 is just fun to design new sounds on.
snowbrow

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Agree Reply with quote

LiqMat wrote:
Workflow is the most important aspect to me and that is a very relative and individualized decision. There is no "right" way when it comes to the workflow.

Amen to that. If the price isn't absolutely insane, (which it definitely wasn't here, fine purchase) I believe workflow to be the only criteria when it comes to choosing gear ...

Congrats ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: