Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestation vs 01/W

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Wavestation vs 01/W Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This probably should be in the versus forums at VintageSynth.com, but never mind!

I have a Wavestation and it's great for pads and atmospheres as I'm sure you know. Was just wondering, how would you guys say the 01/W compares to the Wavestation for pads and strings? Do you reckon it's worth getting an 01/W as well? I'm not really looking for any other bread and butter sounds at the moment, just pads and nice strings, so just wondering how the Wavestation compares to the 01/W for that.

Cheers for your help,
Mike
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the WS for pads. Really. Nothing comes close. Except, say, Absynth in software world.
dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both. Each has it synthesis strengths. The Wavestation is untouchable for sounds with motion (vectoring, wavesequences) while the 01/Wfd offers waveshaping. Its pads and strings are simply gorgeous.

I wouldn't part with either of them.

Kind regards.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dave. I have both as well and would never thin of parting with either. There are some really sweet pads available for the 01/W. Well worth checking out.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 01/W wins hands down for strings. Sadly, every synth I check out, when i listen for string sounds, I compare it to the 01/W's. Pads... as others have said, they each have their strengths...but I would think the Wavestation wins out here because of the vectoring and wavesequencing. The wavesequencing is just... SO COOL. Waveshaping just doesn't have the fun-factor that Wavesequencing has.
michaelg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cheers for the replies guys. So sounds like they're both excellent synths in their own right and shouldn't really be compared! And that you wouldn't be going far wrong by owning both! I think I'll try and track down an 01/W ASAP!

Cheers,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: