Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Sound on Sound.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...as a temporary test, try to get a hold of a 4 or 8 Gb-card...borrow or steal, just to see if there is a limitation as pr size...
I don't think there should be a limitation, however...
Could it be that your card is shot? Did you test the card in a computer after you tried it in the SR1?

My new rock-band
My new duo's homepage - mostly in norwegian, but give it a go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
simaj103

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16GB Kingston works on my notebook without any problem after I remove it from SR1 (after failed attempt to access it). SR1 places nothing on the card. I also noticed that when I try to record just after I power on the SR1, it throws another error FSYS ERR 13 10 F5.
I will try to get other card for tests.
johannes

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I have tried find information and user's review about Sound on Sound, but there isn't much info in the net, yet.

I purhcased SOS one half month ago and I'm very pleased! The onboard stereo mic is excellent! The onboard effects are also very good, though there is many unnecessary effects for my needs.

A couple negative things I have noticed; Good sounds on drum machine, but it isn't programmable. Yes, I knew it already when I ordered it. (My solution was to use BoSS Micro BR programmable drums, no problem anymore).

I use Audacity for mixing all tracks, it works really well!

There is not possible set volume on certain track when recording (or is there? I haven't found that feature...?).

Then, what is the difference between Finalize and Material folders - There's same tracks on both folder, imo...? What is the advantage in 2MIX folder? How can I utilize that material? I haven't the manual in my native language, so haven't understood it well...

I understand GTR and MIC effects, but for what are the MST effects?

Here's my review - maybe more questions than answers Laughing

Anyway, I have recorded two songs with it. Here's "Stoneman" by me (the other tunes are recorded on Boss Micro BR). You can download it free on 'lataa mp3' button. I made also a vid of it, there's a link.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=122431

The other one is from my collabs and it is called 'in my dream'. Music by me and vocals my friend James.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=127787

Later,

Johannes
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johannes wrote:
There is not possible set volume on certain track when recording (or is there? I haven't found that feature...?).

Yes there is. The balance between Input- and Playback-tracks. Named MIX BAL

johannes wrote:
Then, what is the difference between Finalize and Material folders - There's same tracks on both folder, imo...?

Same tracks but different data. When a recording is finalized, it is set both in sync and sound. Remember, all recordings must be individually finalized.

johannes wrote:
What is the advantage in 2MIX folder? How can I utilize that material? I haven't the manual in my native language, so haven't understood it well...

In this folder you will find the playback- + the input-sound that you have recorded.

johannes wrote:
I understand GTR and MIC effects, but for what are the MST effects?

GTR=guitar Mainly usable for guitar.
MIC=microphone Mainly usable for voices.
MST=master??? Mainly applicable to the total sound, song & music.
TCH=touchslider Varied by using the touchslider.

Great music...sounded a bit like "the Doors" in my ear.

My new rock-band
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
johannes

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Wings!!

That Mix/Bal adjusting makes things much easier... thanks again.
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any ppl from Korg reads this, here are a few tips that a new software for the SOS should contain.

1. A "hot-key" combo that will reset the SOS. Reason being the SOS hangs too often, and simply removing the battery (or power-supply) will not reset this. For a reset of the "hang" the power-source must be removed for an (unknown) period of time. (I guess the capacitors will hold the power some seconds/minutes after the power-source is removed).

2. A better (or just updated) delete-procedure should be incorporated, because the existing procedure is often malfunctioning. When pressing the delete-button, screen will indicate "Delete current" until button is released, then it returns to normal screen again. Solution is to insert mem-card in computer and manually delete unwanted material (or, I guess, play all correct the first time around Laughing )

Korg. This is an incredible versatile machine, it has this far passed my hopes, and I'm sure it will when I am able to utilize it to it's fullest capabilities...but the music-software for the SOS from Korg is less than expected.

What would be a more suitable software to use?

My new rock-band
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...noone...?

My new rock-band
DaveMachin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: FSYS ERR 38 15 F3 Reply with quote

Was there ever any kind of info on this error. I had a 32GB kingston card that would give this error. Couldn't make that card work and went back to the one that came with the SoS. Card was fine otherwise and now resides in a digital picture frame with no issues...

Love the SoS otherwise though.
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Dave.

No, unfortunately I have heard nothing.
However my SoS have been acting up like crazy today.
It has been used maybe a total of 10 days so far, and now it is almost impossible to start it.
Sometimes nothing happens aside from the backlight, and sometimes all seems well until the "counter-ribbon" in the bottom of the screen has completed...then it freezes.
The few times I've managed to start it, I listen to (or play along with) a track, and then a digital distortion-sound is audible (loud as heck) and the whole thing freezes.
Only way to reset is remove power-source...be that battery or adapter. (or both). I have tried to restart a total of 40 times today, it started succesfully 3 times. Surprised

I have been using rechargable batteries, and now I have switched to "poor-quality" disposables. For some reason it seems to work with the disposable ones, but I'll have to test it out further.

And no, it has nothing to do with remaining power on the batteries...it reads fully charged. On both types batteries. I have tried F-reset, and will test again soon.
Right now I'm just fed up with it...

My new rock-band
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck as to figure out or cure the problem yet, it's still irradic...anyone with knowledge about this here? Anyone?? Korg???

My new rock-band
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the last few days I've been in contact with my SoS-supplyer "Sound1" in Norway, and today they mailed me with the message that the distributor "EM Nordic" will give me a new SoS and I'm to send mine to their shop for tests to determine where the problem lies.
As I have stated earlier...EM Nordic is one of the few companies that truly understand the meaning of customer-relations and service.
Excellent!
I just whish this was the general trend with all companies. Wink

Allright, back to square one and many entertaining hours with my new SoS. Razz

My new rock-band
loondoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Same problem! Reply with quote

simaj103 wrote:
The 16GB Kingston works on my notebook without any problem after I remove it from SR1 (after failed attempt to access it). SR1 places nothing on the card. I also noticed that when I try to record just after I power on the SR1, it throws another error FSYS ERR 13 10 F5.
I will try to get other card for tests.

Hi all,

I just recently purchased the SOS recorder, and have had the same issues trying to use/format any card other than the card that came with the recorder.

I love the portability and flexibility of the unit, and the sound quality is pretty decent, but being limited to only the 2GB card that came with the unit is a serious limitation that they need to figure out and let us know how to fix!

Also have had the same problem with not being able to turn the unit off without removing the batteries once I get a SYS ERROR message.

Thanks for any help!
Pairoj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had the same problems: "FSYS ERR 37 10 F5" and "!UNMOUNT", with my 512MB, 1GB, and 16GB SanDisk and 1GB Kingston MicroSDHC. But I can use 1GB KingMax without any problem. My distributor in Thailand could not help.

I found new firmware v1.05 (my current was 1.01) on http://www.korg.co.uk/products/digital_recording/sr1/dr_sr1.asp in "SR1 Software" tab on the right side.

=============================
Operating System Ver 1.05
This version of the operating system makes some minor improvements. Better SD card compatibility, Improvement to noise level in auto mode and higher speaker volume when using an external PSU.

SOUND_on_SOUND_v105_E.zip (1.5MB)
=============================

You can check your firmware version by pressing Play (>) button while SOS starting up, the version number will show on the LCD display.

After update the firmware on my SOS using KingMax card, now I can use all of my SanDisk cards. Unfortunately, my Kingston card still cannot be used with my SOS.

I hope this could help.
jakedenny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: SOS Available Time Signatures are very limited Reply with quote

Hello all- Bought the SOS a few weeks ago and its really great; lots to get excited about especially the sound of the onboard effects which were surprisingly very good. However, as with all products, there is always something stupid that to me is an unnecessary limitatation. In this case- the small amount of available time signatures on the SOS (Korg calls this the "Beat")--- You only have 3/4, 4/4, and 6/8--- Thats it... so if you are like me, and love to record in 5/4, 7/8, 9/8 or whatever you feel like recording in other than the 3 types this unit offers- you will need to go outside the standard time signatures. This is a particular problem if you intention was to use the SOS as a "starting point" to getting song ideas down and then plan on exporting to a DAW--- If you forego any time/beat, or record using 4/4 and just ignore the downbeat, obviously you will need to do extra work after you import to your DAW to get things in the right time signature later... this is messy at best. Why so limited in the time signatures? also- When I changes the "beat" to 3/4-- I noticed the internal drum machine doesnt change anyway--- so the whole implementation is a bit whacky...and I cant see why this would need to be the way it is....
pgounas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: I got it !!! Reply with quote

Pairoj That was very helpful thanks!!! Very Happy

Anyway Sound On Sound it was just what i expected. Capture your ideas right now & make them sound like a complete song. I dont know if i will transfer some data to my DAW but it is that what i needed. Not just a recorder with my guitar & voice. My group members from now on will hear more complete ideas

I'll come back with some samples
Panos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: