Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY synth or similar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dafthuman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: DIY synth or similar Reply with quote

does anyone know of or has made a synth or something similar by themselves? i have a project for school coming up and if i could make this the teacher said i would get an A for sure.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softsynth or hardware synth?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a synth consisting of a dedicated Core2Duo PC inside a 61-key chassis, with dedicated control surface (faders, knobs, vector joystick) and software.

Does that count? Very Happy
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
dafthuman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard synth. and yes that sounds rather like what i had in mind actually
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dafthuman wrote:
hard synth. and yes that sounds rather like what i had in mind actually

so, essentially, you want to build a computer that has a built in monitor and midi controls.

rather than a real hardware synthesizer.

that's going to be pretttty expensive, I'm guessing $700 minimum for the parts for the PC, then a bit of money to make a case, then more money to make midi knobs/keyboard, then even more to interface them to the PC. Oh, and of course you'll need to make some custom synth software.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is, don't do it!

build a real synth instead. I mean, i'm really excited about what I'm doing, but its almost like a full-time job. I've been working on it since september now and its only starting to come together.

If you optimise the OS, then you don't need to worry too much about having a really powerful CPU. However, you'd still need to invest in the keybed (or build one, not sure what's worse. I ordered a fatar one from Doepfer), a small formfactor power supply - e.g. a 1U rack one like used in blade servers. Then you need software. I'm using Max/MSP and Windows XP x64 currently. Interface scanning is the easy bit really.

Then you've got to build the chassis, which is where I am now, mostly. You really have to decide early on what you're going to have. Changing your mind doesn't help things at all.

Using a PC architecture though, there is a lot of processing power and ease of programming, relative ease of assembly (no need to design your own DSP or analog boards). opportunity for more modularity in the interface.

Still, after all that, don't do it!
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
dafthuman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys. muchly appreciated. i wont build a synth, as disappointed as i am its probably the best not to do it at this stage. Razz
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you have some electronics experience, it wouldn't be hard to make a fully analog synth, possibly even without any keyboard. A bit like korg's new monotron, maybe a bit more sophisticated than that.

I'm sure you'd find something like this inspiring:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synthi.php
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing what can happen in 10 years.

Asus has a new PC coming out, a newly designed Eee PC, and all fits inside the keyboard.

Wait... make that keyboard look like musical keyboard...and...now it's a soft synth if you add the soft...

Music tech goes pretty slow, new technology added every 3 years or so.

Ofcourse KORG, Roland, Yamaha etc should be leading this wave ! Mac is also great.

EDIT /// Thinking wrong there (blame the red red wine) ... Now with Eee PC and stuff, I really think musical hardware will EXPLODE in terms of CAPACITY vs few years back. Adding RAM to PC doesn't cost much, or HDD..but it DID COST A FORTUNE years back.

And I think they know this... we see soft- and hardware companies merge... for a good reason. I pity the last stubborn company that doesn't merge.

But, sad part is: We HAD these kinds of Eee PC 30 years ago ! Commodore and Sinclair.

WTF happened inbetween ? We're back at same small size...
Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
dayuri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Provided you have some electronics experience, it wouldn't be hard to make a fully analog synth, possibly even without any keyboard. A bit like korg's new monotron, maybe a bit more sophisticated than that.

I'm sure you'd find something like this inspiring:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synthi.php

This is a good idea. The cheapest option would be to buy a waveform generator kit and mod it, or you could even buy a monotron, take it apart and mod it, which is basically just a waveform generator with a few extra controls - Really cheap too, you won't even be able to source the components for the price of the thing.

Check this out: http://www.synthgear.com/2010/synthesizers/we-love-korg-monotron/
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkorgc383.tempdomainname.com%2FProduct%2FDance%2Fmonotron%2Fwelove%2F%23a1&sl=ja&tl=en
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: