Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading my z1 patches in a moss board ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ix studio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Loading my z1 patches in a moss board ? Reply with quote

hi guys

ive been using a z1 for years and want to port my z1 sounds in a moss board in a triton rack ? is this possible ?

thanks

john
ix studio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Loading my z1 patches in a moss board ? Reply with quote

i guess this isnt possible.

ive been using a z1 for years and want to port my z1 sounds in a moss board in a triton rack ? is this possible ?

thanks

john[/quote]
Nor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the EXB-MOSS board installed in your TRITON RACK then you can import your Z1 patchs as TIMO said: "Only by manually copying each patch, literally every parameter individually."
The Encyclopedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians
ix studio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info - i guess manually copying = rewriting every patch by hand - i think ' import ' is probably not the best word .. typical korg backward compatability - defies all logic

Nor251 wrote:
If you have the EXB-MOSS board installed in your TRITON RACK then you can import your Z1 patchs as TIMO said: "Only by manually copying each patch, literally every parameter individually."
smstome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was an z1 to moss converter someware. pls try searching.
ix studio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i found the old webpage for it - its called Mosquito . .the guys website or the link is dead...

smstome wrote:
there was an z1 to moss converter someware. pls try searching.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck has it I have a copy. Seeing as it was freeware to begin with, I'll host it for you.

ALL credits go to "2nd Evidence" here:

http://2nd.evidence.free.fr

Download Mossquito:

[MOSSquito.zip - version 2 - released Feb 21th 2000 - 36kb]
mandala music

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I have finally been successful in converting Korg Z1 sysex banks to PCG files for use in the Triton MOSS expansion board. The instruction text that comes along with MOSSquito is written with the PC running DOS in mind. MOSSquito will run on a Windows PC running XP just fine. Assuming that you have Java loaded on your PC, you enter the information you need to activate it by typing into the "RUN" box (next to the all programs arrow in your start section): java MOSSquito XXXXX.syx (XXXXX.syx being the name of the sysex bank you want to convert). After you type in the information, hit OK to start the conversion.

The MOSSquito.class file, the Bank_f.pcg and the sysex bank you want to convert must also be in the same folder on your hard drive. Java must be directed to this folder so it can find the sysex bank you are trying to convert. If Java finds the Z1 sysex folder, it will produce a "moss.pcg" if there are 127 patches or less. If more than 127 patches, it will produce "moss1.pcg" and "moss2.pcg".

I don't know how to direct java to find the folder containing the necessary files and the Z1 sysex. For some reason I don't remember, I placed the files in my "owners" folder under "documents and settings". This works for me. It may not work for you. If the Z1 sysex is not of the type that is sent by Sound Diver, it will only convert the first patch of the Z1 sysex.

Here are some comments on the Z1 sysex by Ian Clark who programmed the Z1 Editor 2004:

"The most interesting point to me was that Sound Diver and MOSSquito use non-standard Korg Z1 banks which do not conform to the Korg Z1 spec. The non-standard "bank" (85504 bytes) is a collection of single patches, and each patch contains header information identifying it as a bank patch, together with a bank letter (A or B) and a patch number. The standard Z1 bank (84270 bytes, as in the Korg Z1 manual and Korg Z1 spec) is more compressed, because it only needs the patch data for each patch. The presumption is that the patch after A037 will be A038, for example, so it omits the 128 separate patch headers."

"If I had known this before I might have suggested that you use one of Pete Kvitek's free utilities in conjunction with the 2004 Editor to produce the banks which MOSSquito needs. The 2004 Editor can instantly save a standard Korg Z1 bank as 128 separate patches. Pete Kvitek's merge utility can use these separate patch files to create a non-standard bank of 128 complete patches, including headers, joined together. This can easily be done on one computer."

I did not use one PC, I used two PC's linked together. I loaded the sysex banks into Sound Diver on the first PC and sent the sysex to Bome's SendSX on the second PC. As I copied each sysex bank to the second PC, I named it and copied it to my "owners" folder. Then I converted the Z1 banks one by one to PCG files.

I have also compiled 7 Z1 banks from 896 single files. I have converted these 7 banks to PCG format. I have posted these and several other PCG banks to the files section of the Yahoo group, Triton_Users. The message section of Triton_Users is over run with spam but there is no problem in downloading files from the files section. If you have a Korg Z1, you will find the same files in Z1 standard sysex posted to the Yahoo group, "Z1."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: