Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moss for trinity v3 only? or can any trinity use it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hexfix93

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Moss for trinity v3 only? or can any trinity use it? Reply with quote

I need to know, i was thinking about a prophecy board, but think the moss might be better.

what do you think?
dimis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about what you want to do? for natural sounds i prefer the moss-tri based on Z1 thats used in balkan music, but also you can make nice sounds with soloboard. But real natural sounds only with the moss-tri.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the Moss-TRI and Solo-TRI are very similar, except the solo board is based on the monophonic prophecy, whilst the Moss board is based on the polyphonic Z1.

if you want to play more than one note at a time, you'll need the Moss board.

also AFAIK (as I own no Z1, Prophecy, Trinity, or such), A trinity-V3 is simply a trinity with the MOSS board installed. you have to upgrade the operating system to 3.x after (or just before?) you install the board.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo-TRI synthesis models:
    • Standard Osc (virtual analogue)
    • Comb Filter Osc
    • VPM Osc (Variable Phase Modulation = FM)
    • Brass Osc [two different Trumpet types, a Trombone, and a Horn]
    • Reed Osc [a Soprano Sax, two different Alto Sax types, two different Tenor Sax types, Baritone Sax, Flute, Single Reed, Double Reed, Recorder, Bottle, Glass Bottle, and also 'Monster']
    • Plucked String model
Moss-TRI synthesis models:
    • Standard Osc (virtual analogue)
    • Comb Filter Osc
    • VPM Osc (Variable Phase Modulation = FM)
    • Oscillator Sync
    • Ring Modulation
    • Multi-band Resonance
    • Cross Modulation
    • Organ Osc [three drawbars per oscillator = 6 drawbars if two oscillators are used]
    • Brass Osc [three Brass types, plus two Horn types, and a Reed Brass]
    • Reed [five different Sax types, plus two Double-Reed types, a Bassoon, Clarinet, two Flute types, a Pan Flute, Ocarina, Shakuhachi, two Harmonica types, and a Reed Synth]
    • Plucked String Osc
    • Bowed String Osc
    • Electric Piano Osc
Moss has six voices polyphony, Solo has one (monophonic).

Solo has its very own dedicated effects engine (chorus, distortion and reverb/delay) which helps with the lack of polyphony slightly [as you can set up delays and chorus and stuff to mimic several voices], whereas Moss doesn't. However Moss can still fully use the Trinity's main effects engine [both inserts and master].

Both Moss and Solo are mono-timbral for the Trinity (you can only ever play one Moss/Solo patch at a time).

Both Moss and Solo have three oscillators (two main ones and a sub oscillator), plus a Noise generator, and a feedback tool.

Moss and Solo can mostly use both main oscillators at a time, such as using Standard Osc on oscillator 1 and VPM on oscillator 2 as just one example, but some of the physical models are more resource intensive and require extra DSP so only one oscillator can be used in these instances (oscillator two becomes greyed out). I think these relate to Brass, Reed, and Plucked Strings (and possibly Bowed Strings on Moss too).

Everything else is fairly much the same between both Moss and Solo, except for a few quirks here and there (I think Solo has some extra waveshaping that Moss can't do, and vice versa for other stuff).

Think that rounds up the differences.
dimis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree, for example in Balkan Music there are ΰ Lot of sounds
for the Moss tri/ V3. Reals original Sounds of violins clarinets, zurna and so on. I have spoken to much People who doing there Sounds alone. They Told me to make ΰ "saleas klarinetsound" i will Need the Moss tri. So now i am confused. Who can gibe us ΰ real Info. Can i do the Same Sound that has a Mosstri on ΰ soloboard? I don't believe. I wish iz will Be so, because Today i get my Trinity pluss with soloboard.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimis wrote:
I don't agree,

With what?
Quote:
for example in Balkan Music there are ΰ Lot of sounds
for the Moss tri/ V3. Reals original Sounds of violins clarinets, zurna and so on. I have spoken to much People who doing there Sounds alone. They Told me to make ΰ "saleas klarinetsound" i will Need the Moss tri. So now i am confused. Who can gibe us ΰ real Info. Can i do the Same Sound that has a Mosstri on ΰ soloboard? I don't believe. I wish iz will Be so, because Today i get my Trinity pluss with soloboard.

I've outlined the technical differences in my post above, which shows what oscillators/models the Moss can do that the Solo can't. The only additional main factor is that the Solo is monophonic as opposed to the 6-voice polyphonic Moss.
dimis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, i disagree with the Pot above You'res. But After Seeing your post i am confused. Do you think i can do similar Sounds like Moss tri on soloboard? This will Be Great because i cant find ΰ Moss- tri. Because on your post specs are similar, and i Need monophonic Sounds .
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo cannot do:

• Cross Modulation
• Ring Modulation
• Oscillator Sync
• Multi-band Resonance
• Organ modelling
• Electric Piano
• Bowed Strings

... whereas the Moss can.

The Moss also has more individual 'models' available within the Brass and Reed oscillator classes.

And of course, and I feel like a stuck record here, the Moss is six-voice polyphonic whereas the Solo is one-voice/monophonic.

This means the Moss has six notes of polyphony - ideal for playing chords - and also allows up to six-voices of Unison, meaning you can stack all six voices to create a detuned monophonic monster if you wish to. Solo, having just one voice, wont be able to play chords or use Unison. It still has three oscillators (2 + sub) for that single voice, so you can still create a three-oscillator monophonic lead when using the virtual analogue models. The Reed and Brass models require more DSP though, and only allow one main oscillator and one sub oscillator at any one time.

However if you are just imitating Reed or Brass instruments you might not necessarily need polyphony because reed and brass instruments can naturally only play one note at a time (for example a flute or clarinet, or a trumpet, trombone, etc.).

But the added polyphony of Moss is a boon for everything else, especially for playing chords and virtual analogue usage. The Bowed Strings model benefits from the added polyphony too, as you can create the illusion of a small ensemble of the same instrument by playing chords.
dimis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i Need the mosstri, to make the klarinet and violinsound i have heard.
Thanks for all Info.
dimis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Soloboard is good enough for ethnik sounds Reply with quote

Hi together,

so i have get my trinity Plus including some fantastic ethnic sounds, so i have to say the violin on soloboard is fantastic, it sounds like a orient violin Perfekt, only thing i cant find is a good klarinet sound, but its a matter of time.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOST used and the best for those Oriental Sounds is the Tri Solo, not the
V3, there is something to it, the TriSolo also has its own FX processors in it
too, not just the inserts or masters on the synth...its exactly the Prophecy.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimis wrote:
So i Need the mosstri, to make the klarinet and violinsound i have heard.
Thanks for all Info.

The ones you are talking about which i know exactly which one are on TriSolo, not V3.
V3 cannot do that and it is mostly cuz of the lack of the 3Solo FX that are inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: