Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed with keyboard tracking / pitch shifting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hauser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Help needed with keyboard tracking / pitch shifting Reply with quote

I need some help as I'm new to the whole sampling scene... I'm looking for a sampler which can do keyboard tracking / pitch shifting (not sure about the term here) based on notes played from MIDI keyboard. So basically, I want to record a sound and be able to play it on different pitches according to keys pressed on the MIDI keyboard. I know this can be achieved with VST but I would like to avoid using a laptop in live sessions. Also, I would like to have these sounds organized in banks so that I could easily access them in live shows and change sounds on the fly.

I did a little digging and were surprised that I couldn't find a hardware which does this. Are these kinds of samplers made anymore or do I have to look for used hardware? Any models come to mind? I would imagine that some kind of memory card option is mandatory in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost all keyboard samplers do this. Having a sample for every key is often still too memory-hungry, so notes that do not have a sample of their own are 'stretched' from other samples on a nearby key. I suppose it's not mentioned as a 'feature' as its kind of standard.

Have you seen the MicroSampler?
Or on a workstation scale maybe the M3, second hand Triton, TR (with RAM and possibly EXB-SMPL), or Extreme. Basically anything with keys that does sampling....
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Hauser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting since I had a mail exchange with a Thomann representative and he said that they don't have any samplers in stock that would do this. And yeah... it seems they never mention this in the manuals. Just want to be sure that when I buy something, it does what I need it to do. I had the misfortune of trying Roland's SP 404, which did NOT have this option. Thanks for suggestions.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, but the SP404 is a rhythm sampler not aimed at keyboard instruments.

If you find a sampler specifically for keyboards... or a sampler keyboard single unit. As I said, check out the new MicroSampler.

Also, I was looking at rack units a while ago as I can't load samples on my recently acquired KARMA workstation. I believe the Akai s5000 and s6000 look very good. Still, overkill for what you are asking.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Hauser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as I said... I'm new to the scene Smile

I was actually checking the MicroSampler just before I posted here but it doesn't have a SD slot does it? How much audio can you actually fit in there? Usually this stuff is mentioned somewhere but I can't find the information on this. Sorry for the stupid questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: