Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

- NOT RECEIVING SOUNDS FROM USB/MIDI? Read this -
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandabearcat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a huge beginner at this, and it would be helpful if I could get any advice. Basically I'm trying to record my MicroKorg, and need a lot of help

I have a Mac lap top, a MicroKorg, an M-audio FTP, and two 1/4' cords. First off it would be helpful to know whether there is anything else I absolutely need. I don't have speakers to play through other than the ones in my computer.

If someone could tell me the exact set up, such as which outputs go to which inputs that would be great, and also is there anything else I need to plug into my computer other than the M-audio USB? I installed the audio interface and am not sure if my settings for the FTP are correct (should the FTP be the sound input, or should it be both input and output etc.)

As of right now I plan on using GarageBand until I can upgrade, and if there's any other information you need I can supply it.

I know there's a lot of work to be done to help me, but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone is willing to help.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandabearcat wrote:
So I'm a huge beginner at this, and it would be helpful if I could get any advice. Basically I'm trying to record my MicroKorg, and need a lot of help

I have a Mac lap top, a MicroKorg, an M-audio FTP, and two 1/4' cords. First off it would be helpful to know whether there is anything else I absolutely need. I don't have speakers to play through other than the ones in my computer.

If someone could tell me the exact set up, such as which outputs go to which inputs that would be great, and also is there anything else I need to plug into my computer other than the M-audio USB? I installed the audio interface and am not sure if my settings for the FTP are correct (should the FTP be the sound input, or should it be both input and output etc.)

As of right now I plan on using GarageBand until I can upgrade, and if there's any other information you need I can supply it.

I know there's a lot of work to be done to help me, but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone is willing to help.

microKorg's L/Mono connected to FTP input 1
microKorg's Right output connected to FTP input 2

The FTP should not be your output device - because you have no speakers connected to it. You are running off your macbook's built in speakers so choose 'built in audio' for that.

Now create a 'real instrument' (audio) track. make sure the FTP is the input device selected for that track. Arm the track for recording, hit record, and play your music.
If you want to hear what you are playing along with the rest of the track, make sure you set 'monitor' to 'On'. This means that you are 'monitoring' the input signal - i.e. hearing it back whilst you play, through the software along with the rest of your track.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
m_player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is still an active section of the forum, but hello everyone, newbie here.

So I usually just hookup my R3 with a single 1/4" cable into my Macbook Pro's line in. This is only the left mono channel being used, so I just copy & double the channel to make it stereo in Audacity...cheap but what I do for my amateurish recordings (for now at least).

So I've done some searching, since I've seen adapters like the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-8In-Mono/dp/B000068O3C/ref=pd_cp_e_1

It is two mono 1/4" cables into a 1/8" (or 3.5mm) cable, all male plugs. I have used one of these to hookup a Kaossilator to a mixer board with success, but I am going to purchase a cable of my own for my Macbook.

In theory, this should be stereo audio from the R3 to the computer, correct?

I'm going to look for a better quality cable at Daddy's today after work, so I will post back with results if I don't get an answer in the next couple hours.

Best.
m
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_player wrote:
I hope this is still an active section of the forum, but hello everyone, newbie here.

So I usually just hookup my R3 with a single 1/4" cable into my Macbook Pro's line in. This is only the left mono channel being used, so I just copy & double the channel to make it stereo in Audacity...cheap but what I do for my amateurish recordings (for now at least).

So I've done some searching, since I've seen adapters like the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-8In-Mono/dp/B000068O3C/ref=pd_cp_e_1

It is two mono 1/4" cables into a 1/8" (or 3.5mm) cable, all male plugs. I have used one of these to hookup a Kaossilator to a mixer board with success, but I am going to purchase a cable of my own for my Macbook.

In theory, this should be stereo audio from the R3 to the computer, correct?

I'm going to look for a better quality cable at Daddy's today after work, so I will post back with results if I don't get an answer in the next couple hours.

Best.
m

Yes, that cable does exactly what you need.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
m_player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! That is great news.

The only thing I just realized is that this completely debunks my guitar pedals for use as effects... Mainly just my Boss loop is useless in the process now. I can still use my 90s delay pedal since it has stereo input/output.

What was really annoying, was the fact that I had to use my loop off of the laptop output, into my speakers, then record the sound with a microphone. Biggest problem? With that setup, I couldn't monitor the audio, I had to set the mic level with the output of the recording muted (otherwise I would have feedback).

So I just plugged the R3 into the loop, into the speakers, needless of the computer. So that way I monitored the recording with headphones but still played audio into a USB microphone. Pretty shitty way to record, right?

I wanted to just plug the R3 into the loop, into the input of the Mac. But, since guitar loop pedals require a "hot" or powered source to plug into to turn on the pedal, Boss Loop Output > Mac Line In simply does not work because the loop will not turn on.

Can you suggest a solution that allows me to loop? I have Logic but looping with that is just plain annoying and not user friendly like stomping your foot on a guitar pedal.

Want to know the biggest problem? I was doing this all mono. Probably puts my loop out of the equation if I want stereo, right?

Thanks.
m
m_player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not one to double-post, but this post more or less concludes my last post. Let me know if I was too complex in explaining the above, because I can easily edit the fluff out.

My issue revolves around using guitar products, which utilize all mono 1/4" cables and devices. There are stereo 1/4" cables, which I found out are easily recognized by the difference in the male jack's plug. They have two separations in the plug (for 3 wires) versus one seperation (for 2 wires). This is probably simple for most of you, but if anybody is as confused as I was, mono is on the left & stereo is on the right:

Less technical on plug types... My Boss RC2 (loop) is a mono, guitar loop, simply not effective for a job like looping the R3. I can't find this in writing, but based on previous endeavors, I have found out that if you plug in a stereo cable, it simply won't turn on.

Well, looping isn't necessary when you've got a great synth like the R3, thanks for the help anyways, now I can record/playback stereo audio!
m
zalo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a soundcard. Also stompboxes turn on with a cable plugged into the output. It doesn't need to be "hot."
m_player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zalo wrote:
Buy a soundcard. Also stompboxes turn on with a cable plugged into the output. It doesn't need to be "hot."

Can you suggest anything of quality under $50 that would suffice for an external soundcard for my Macbook? The external driver featured in this thread is a $150 card...not quite in my price range, but something to keep in mind. And from what I've read, the cheaper cards are just less quality items (like most things in the musical instrument market).

As for the cable being "hot", you're absolutely right. Now that I recount my actions, the problem was that I originally plugged a 1/8 male-male cable from my Mac line in to a 1/8>1/4 adapter, into the loop. This doesn't work because all of the cables/adapters are stereo. The pedal only works with mono cables. I ended up plugging a mono guitar cable into the pedal without thinking of the difference in cable types.

Long explanation but I had to put it all together in my head... Idea
ph.billy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Maintaining the same sound of Korg to Laptop Reply with quote

Thanks for this.
I wanted to ask, I know you mentioned that midi only connects the control of the keyboard.

So will getting the cables and plugging them into a computer give me close-to
similar sounds that I would normally get out of my Korg?

I'm asking this because I used midi connection only to FL Studio before, then when I played, there were sounds that were kinda-similar to R3 but way-off and lacking ( I clicked on some synth program in the studio)

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: