Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Radias module vs Korg EXB-Radias board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizarsix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Korg Radias module vs Korg EXB-Radias board Reply with quote

I'm purchasing a Korg M373, and I will be adding a version of Radias to it. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of adding the Radias module versus adding the EXB-Radias (or direct me somewhere that explains the differences)? Thanks...Miz
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comes up quite often. There is a good thread here:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52372

EDIT:
If you get confused, ignore the below for now. Trying to figure out how to get a table in.... I may have to publish this on my own site and link it from there.

In summary:
[dohtml]
<table>
<tr>
<td>Radias Standalone</td>
<td>Radias EXB</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Knobs, buttons, other parameters on screen</td>
<td>M3's touchscreen and tone-adjust sliders</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Fits alongside M3-73 and above</td>
<td>Can be used in any M3</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>6 Virtual Modulation Slots</td>
<td>8 Virtual Modulation Slots</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Built in PCM and Drum samples</td>
<td>DWGS wavetable 'samples'</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>9 simultaneous FX slots</td>
<td>Shares M3's FX</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>16 part full synth drum mode</td>
<td>No drum mode. Could resample individually to M3</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>No real integration with M3. Same as any module</td>
<td>Select and use just as any M3 program</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Up to 4 timbres in a program</td>
<td>Up to four programs in a combi</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Two step sequencers and 1 arpeggiator</td>
<td>Direct access to M3's KARMA modules</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Growing collection of user and converted programs</td>
<td>Smaller user program base currently</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Powerful vocoder</td>
<td>Same vocoder, better than the built in M3 one</td>
</tr>
</html>
[/dohtml]

Naturally some of the points about the EXB can apply to the Rack too when used with the M3. For example you could sample the Radias, route KARMA out to it, and all KORG workstations do have very good external MIDI control support for modules in sequencer and combi modes - I use my rack with a Korg Karma Workstation.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

[dohtml]

I don't think phpbb allows html :-/
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

[dohtml]

I don't think phpbb allows html :-/

I think 'dohtml' is for a newer PHPBB system (e.g. version 3), but if you look at the bottom of the posting box, it does say:
Quote:
HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

And then checkboxes for:
Quote:
Disable HTML in this post
Disable BBCode in this post
Disable Smilies in this post

Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Mizarsix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I managed to read everything that applies after I posted this thread. Can I assign the Radias module to a track in the M3 sequencer? That would about decide it for me if I could.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said, the M3 has an 'external' mode for timbres in both Combi and Sequencer modes.

For example it would the the same as I work on the Karma Workstation:
Radias is assigned to a different global channel, so Workstation (Triton, M3, Karma, whatever) is assigned to channel 1, and I have the Radias on channel 11. I also have an ES-1 on channel 10.

In a combi or in the sequencer I set a track/timbre to EXT mode, or EXT2 if I need to set up a bank change for the module, and set it to transmit on channel 11. I then set up the patch number just like I would for an internal program, and set up volume level and pan (or set them to be filtered out) as necessary. So bank, program number, level, and pan are all transmitted by MIDI when loading that song/combi, but can be disabled for that track/timbre if you have problems.

Then I set up some sequencing on that track.
Additionally I could set up drums or more timbres in the same Radias program, and set it on the Radias to respond to a different MIDI channel. Then set up a second track on the workstation which does not transmit program number, transmitting on this other channel. I could then sequence say a drum or a bass line or even assign KARMA to output on that track.

It can be a bit complicated but not as bad as it probably sounds if you just read all that.
The trick is to make sure that you use the same standard channels for everything you do. I decided that my Radias was channel 11, and the ES-1 was channel 10, and that I can also use channels 12-15 for Radias timbres if I need to.
But I used to run everything Radias off channel two, which works for a less complicated setup where you're using no additional tracks/timbres on the workstation, not using KARMA, not using seperate timbres from the Radias.

Also on the rack the 'timbres' belong to a program, whereas on the EXB you are selecting four individual programs.
Works okay on the rack, I make a dedicated program for each song I work on or each combi I use, and set it up to automatically select that program using program change on the appropriate timbre MIDI channel, as already described.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: