Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie/old-schooler question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: newbie/old-schooler question Reply with quote

the question is very simple...:

what is exactly the use of virtual instruments?

I mean, for someone like me who is used to traditional synths and instruments, what is there that you can't do with them? is it to replace something your budget can't reach to do and so you compensate it with soft?

it's even more puzzling to me when I hear of people who own and M3!! or OASYS!!!! and still use computers and soft. is there anything those synths can't do?

let me say beforehand that this query comes from a person with absolutely no experience in this topic, but I'm not being judgmental about it, i just want to learn and see if there's a world I'm probably missing out there...

thanks!

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fernando,

have a look at these videos, they might give you a good impression on what is possible to do with software based instruments.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere_videos.php

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian_videos.php

The above demonstrated instruments are sample based, this means that they recorded/sampled the original instruments and offer you a lot of control on top.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks laughing bear, but to tell you the truth... I still don't get it... I mean, it sure sounds great and the realism is indeed impressive, but do you actually mean that you CANNOT, under no circumstance, recreate those same sounds with the same degree of realism in an m3 or oasys??

do I have to believe that after all there are people who pay thousands of dollars for a multi-purpose-do-it-all workstation and they STILL have to purchase programs to get sounds with some control over them??

I'm really curious about this...

cheers!

X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple really.

People always want more. Even if they have a workstation that does it all, they still want something else to 'complement' (read replace) it. Software instruments provide a platform for people to feed their gear addiction (GAS) without having to fork out more money for a massively expensive hardware system. Except if you include the price of the computer it increasingly gets less cost effective.

Some of the plugins genuinely offer something that gear does not - like Reaktor. There is only the Nord Modular, and a few other things that offer that kind of flexibility (I won't say the Arturia Origin, because apparently that isn't actually that flexible!)

And also, many people who have an OASYS for example still only use the presets (which I think should be a crime) buying any new synth is a shortcut to paying for more sounds without putting the effort to make any new sounds themselves.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And also, many people who have an OASYS for example still only use the presets (which I think should be a crime) buying any new synth is a shortcut to paying for more sounds without putting the effort to make any new sounds themselves.

exactly my point!!! that's what I don't get about those who own those machines!!! I'd love to have an m3 or oasys (even a triton extreme!!) and I don't think I could EVER run out of sounds given some time spent modelling MY OWN!!!

thanx x-trade, I knew I could rely on you for some seriously-needed sensibility.

still.... I CAN see the point of having those programs if all you have is a midi controller... though I wouldn't rely on them FOR LIVE PLAYING. would you?

X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason as well is that are some sounds aren't best reproduced by a 'generic' engine like M3 and M50's EDS or OSAYS' HD1, Triton HI, etc. Because they are based on the idea of providing general controls to reproduce a wide range of different sounds. For example Hammond Organ - I've found that Native Instruments' B4 is the best emulation that i've tried. it feels like the real thing, it responds like the real thing, has the same quirks (coming from someone who's never played one, but has been seeking the ultimate cheap version) - it is also considerably cheaper than the real thing, and has some (optional) improvements like being able to select different organs, speaker cabinets, velocity sensitivity, etc.

It would take some serious programming and is quite possibly impossible to reproduce in that detail on a generic rompler or sampler.
The same goes for other vintage emulations.

Obviously this kinda doesn't apply to the OASYS because it has the CX-3, LAC-1, etc options/expansions.

Some people are really picky about an authentic sound or playing experience, but modern software offers advantages over older gear such as patch changes, velocity, aftertouch, modulation, physical size (often none), price.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's one of those things where you really don't know where to put your money: in my case I'm seriously considering getting an m50-88, but some people instead recommend a midi controller and a netbook computer controlling those very programs we're discussing, but I still prefer to have everything onboard and not to be moving 2 pieces of gear instead of 1, and I'm really concerned about latency and glitches when playing live, which I guess you could avoid by getting THE BEST possible laptop and THE BEST possible sound card for it...

X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just get an M50. I'll always prefer to have hardware.

Or get an OpenLabs product Wink

It also depends what kinds of sounds you want to make, and how accurate you want them to be.
Personally I'm quite happy with a generic sound engine for most things. I really do like propper organ and string synths though. But thne I don't actually use those sounds very much live, and it often doesn't matter as much when you are playing live as in the studio where everything has to be (or at least should be) perfect.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! that's what I'm aiming to do! as a matter of fact, we're on the same crusade, my friend, since I'm also selling my tr at the moment, but mine is the 76.

I could get a tr88 here in argentina for just about nothing, but I already know it, own an x50, and I'm looking to get a long-lasting synth (by "long" I really mean LOOOONG).

that's why I have misgivings about the m50's lack of sampling (therefore felt more inclined towards a triton extreme, but it's prohibitively expensive around here...).

talking about that, I recently asked in another forum here to gather opinions on what could be used LIVE if you wanted to play back a sample of someone speaking, or any other sound effect that I could record by myself or download from the internet (such as wind), but WITHOUT a laptop pc, I mean, what would people choose as a means of playing those sounds live other than a computer.

maybe a kaoss pad? but I don't know if everything you load into it with the sd card HAS TO BE looped...

vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
It's simple really.

Some of the plugins genuinely offer something that gear does not - like Reaktor. There is only the Nord Modular, and a few other things that offer that kind of flexibility (I won't say the Arturia Origin, because apparently that isn't actually that flexible!)

Agreed on Origin, half-disagreed on OASYS. Buying synths for their presets (and preset sound quality) is just as viable a reason as any else, if you ask me. And for 99% of people, this is THE reason to buy a synth because - that's just the way it is. Rarely someone goes to the shop and tries to create a sound of his own from ground up on a keyboard before buying it. I'm more of the "rest of 1%" character and on all of my past synths (with the exception of OASYS) I tried to turn it upside-down before buying it. And also, I tweak all of the presets to my liking so they sit well with the music I'm playing. But I find that OASYS's presets are almost perfect in most of the cases and lacking just some detail to "sit better with the mix". You cannot ask more then that if you're reasonable Smile

Back to the original topic... The basic idea of virtual synths and plugins is rather simple - to try to recreate (some with lousy, some with averate, some with great results) some "classic synth" (Arturia does Moog, Poly, ARP2600 and stuff, Korg does MS-20, Poly6, M1 etc) in software so people can use them in production without the actual need to have a hardware version of the synth around. Thats one reason. Second reason is - to have flexibility to use as many plugins (the same plugins or different plugins, nevermind) without having to have a 2000m2 room for all of the synths. It's much more flexible, cheaper and easier to maintain.

Arturia's stuff is pretty decent, just as an example. Spectrasonics's stuff is mostly great if not awesome. Some of NI's stuff are just plain amazing. In orchestral libraries - Vienna and Eastwest's stuff are probably the best (VSL being just much, much to expensive and hardware-hungry for any normal human being). So, you can probably find something for yourself that will be good for your music via soft instruments.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual instruments are good for a whole host of reasons. Some are good for their sample libraries, and because they'll give you much more control over the samples than you'll get on a hardware synth or because the samples are better quality because computer hard drive space is cheap, while most keyboards don't have much. Some are good because they use different types of synthesis that you don't find on many, if any, hardware keyboards. Some are good because they're emulations of classic synths. Lastly, some are good because they're much more focused and simple than a workstation: a simple Mellotron VST or a VST emulating the Nintendo Entertainment System's sound chip, for example, make it easier to work with the sounds without having a lot to get in the way (though, of course, they can be lacking at times because of their simplicity).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: