Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Insert effects of Programs in Sequencer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmuppidi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Using Insert effects of Programs in Sequencer Reply with quote

Hi,

Need some help with insert effects in Sequencer. Is there a way I can retain the insert effects set for a program be retained and used in sequencer?

From my understanding so far, I can copy the insert effects from a program to sequencer which is good for one program, but if I am using multiple programs in the sequencer and want the insert effects of the respective programs, not sure how to accomplish that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you see in sequencer effects mode, are all of the available effects slots.
that represents all of the available effects processing power in the synth.

One way to look at it is, this is an advantage of the KORG system where you are given access to the entire effects processing power whether in program, sequencer, or combi mode.

What this also means is that some programs which use many effects can't be reproduced in sequencer or combi mode when you need effects for other programs too.

BUT, by imposing this limitation, it will actually allow you (in many cases) to produce a better mix. Having lots of different delays and reverbs and other effects will often produce a busy, swamped mix. The best approach IMHO is to learn about the effects system, and discover how to make your own effects which suit the song rather than effects specifically tailored to the program. Of course you have to make sacrifices.

For example, a piano might have subtle EQ in program or combi mode which sounds great on its own would be lost in the mix of your song or performance. or a guitar might have a busy LCR delay that overpowers everything. you could leave the EQ off, and instead have one of the send effects as a simple stereo delay that you can send one or two different programs to, and they will sound like they are in the same space. the same can be said for reverbs. it also allows you to create new effects that weren't in the program, for example a guitar might have a flanger on in program mode, but you find your song is actually better with a phaser.

When I build a song, i don't use the copy effect utilities at all.

Anyway, that is mainly just a view on how to look positively on the KORG effect routing system.

Other synths like the Virus B or (i think) yamaha workstations give you effects for each program as part of the program, but they are limited to only one certain effects chain, sometimes with no shared effects.

If you think you have it bad, then consider TR and LE users who only have one Insert Effect - pretty useless in song or combi mode!

In short:
all of the effects you see in the effect routing/editing system are all of the effects available. there are no more for extra programs. but the best results come from setting up the effects yourself from scratch, rather than blindly copying redundant effects from programs and combis.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ksounds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation, X-Trade!

You're right about Yamaha's different approach. With the ES / XS synths, you get a maximum of two insert effects per program / voice, and up to eight programs / voices can have their dual inserts active when sequencing.
jmuppidi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick responses and the great explanation by X-Trade.
jmuppidi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we could create 'user template' song in the sequencer with the programs and effects we like and load them up for use.

I looked at the preset ones, but not so much to my liking. I am wondering if any user template songs created by some experts in this forum are available. That can be a good starting point for someone like me.

Thanks,
Jay
Phunky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Another way to do is to load the preset template from the sequencer. You will notice the type of effects for the instruments used laid out nicely for you; instead of scratching your head figuring out what type of effects to use.

Hope it helps!

"Ask yourself always: How can this be done better?"
jmuppidi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That is a good idea and I will try that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: