Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI thru function?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuarchris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: MIDI thru function? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Could anyone explain how this works?

I have my OB connected up to my Triton and have learnt how to control it and sequence it using the Triton's rather marvelous sequencer while combining the Triton's sounds (plus MOSS!) with it.

I am thinking about getting a Waldorf Blofeld and I want to incorporate it into the setup I have, i.e. control it from my Triton's sequencer.

Is it just a matter of connecting the Triton from it's MIDI THRU to the Blofeld, or is there something else I need to do?

I prefer the Triton's hardware sequencer to software (and I have REALLY tried to find a software one as useful as the Triton's, but found the Triton's is far easier to understand, the only function I miss is a quantise lengths function which is absent from Triton)

Any sort of explanation is appreciated and needed if I want to go spending that money on the synth named after the James Bond villain. Smile

Thanks,

Happy New Year

'It is better to face the naked truth, instead of a dressed up lie'
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue that the sequencer on even the M3 (which is much better than the Triton's) is far inferior to a good DAW in all ways other than ease of use, but as long as you're happy with what you're using, that's good.

How is your OB connected to the Triton right now? It sounds like Triton OUT -> OB IN is what you're already doing. If so, the THRU on the Triton won't help you.

How THRU works is that it takes everything received on the IN port and sends it immediately to the THRU with very little latency. It's not processed or changed by the Triton at all. If nothing is connected to the Triton's IN, nothing will come from the Triton's THRU.

Ideally, your OB will have a THRU port, so the data from the Triton will go into the OB and be passed through (i.e. THRU) to the Waldorf.

If the OB does not have a THRU port, you can get various MIDI THRU units that will take a MIDI signal and make two (or more) copies of it. MIDI Solutions makes one that should be really cheap and should work with the Triton Extreme (I've used one with my TR before).
cactuarchris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: MIDI THRU Reply with quote

Hi Kanthos,

Yes, the OB is connected into the Triton's MIDI IN port.

Thanks for the prompt reply, it is very much appreciated. Smile

Yes, there are many other functions in a computer sequencer, I have tried to no avail to use one. It is far to complex for me to use, whereas the Triton's is so easy compared to it.

I learnt how to control the OB's filters/attack/release etc from my Triton and I am very happy working the way I do.

In fact because of it's limitations, it has actually helped me to make better music.

Once again, thanks.

'It is better to face the naked truth, instead of a dressed up lie'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: