Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 or O1WFD I just don't know what to do.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirreff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: I3 or O1WFD I just don't know what to do. Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have just bought a mint condition O1W fd and I am well impressed, so much so I am thinking of using it instead of my I3 as I never use the arrangement side of the I3.
The sounds seem so much better but it's the same Synthesis as the I3 so is it just me or does the O1 sound better?
It would be a big step for me as I use the I3 live and it has never let me down and I would have to redo all my songs to suit the O1.
I can't afford to keep both so one has got to go.
What a dilemma,
So what do you think O1 or I3?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell i3.
shirreff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a straight answer!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes. If 01/W sounds better to you, then it's a keeper. (And it does sound better, it's not just you Razz)
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01/W's samples are better quality, and there's more to the synth engine than in the i3 (waveshaping, rez filter, etc). The keyboard is a better build, and I think the display is bigger. I think the sequencer is bigger, too. Honestly, I'd get rid of the i3 and keep the 01/W. i remember the 01/W still being more valuable when the i3 was brand new from the manufacturer. It definitely has a thicker sound to it than the X3-based synths.
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 01W/fd brand new in 1993.
It currently sits above my Triton Extreme which resides next to my Oasys (yeah, I guess you can say I'm a Korg man.)

For me it would be a no brainer - keep the 01.
Of course, that's me.

Now, if I had to choose between my 01 and my Triton, I would choose to keep the 01.
If you find that just a little hard to believe, believe it as I made this choice once about a year ago when I bought my Oasys 88.
One had to go to help finance my Oasys, so my beloved Triton Extreme 88 got thrown right in the bay (eBay, that is).
It wasn't until just last month I was able to replace it with a Triton Extreme 61.

The 01 has some really cool and genuinely useful sounds.
The drum kits, especially A09 (Total Kit) still sounds good and I would still use it today with external processing.
Alan's Run (A14) is another winner and there are no many more (in my opinion).

Anyway, if you have a mint 01W/fd and you like it then my advice is to keep it, enjoy it, and take care of it.

My two and half cents....

David -
shirreff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed is the buttons for changing the program sounds is very touch sensitive, you don't have to press them you just touch them and if I give the keyboard a shake it can change the sound. That is a little concerning as I play live and things can easily get knocked. I don't know if it is a fault with the keyboard I have bought.
My i3 may not be as good as the 01 but it is so reliable, it has never let me down.
I don't have many gigs jan and feb so I am going to test it out then.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to clean the buttons themselves, which requires opening up the keyboard.
dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an 01/Wfd and an i3. There's no doubt that the 01/Wfd is a superior synth to the i3. Nevertheless, the i3 does have its uses, particularly when you need to whip out a 30-second radio spot with 45 minutes notice (as happened to me once).

However, for space reasons I would sell the i3 right now but for two patches on it that I love - Space Wing (an ethereal choirish sound) and AltoBreath (a beautiful soft breathy alto sax that's perfect for background atmospheric use).

Kind regards.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
However, for space reasons I would sell the i3 right now but for two patches on it that I love - Space Wing (an ethereal choirish sound) and AltoBreath (a beautiful soft breathy alto sax that's perfect for background atmospheric use).

You can have those on 01. I have them on my X5D. They are always around Smile
dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got tons and tons of X conversions (and other KORG synths) on my other computer, but they're all converted for the i3, not the 01/Wfd. I've even got the 01/Wfd factory set converted for the i3. I've not seen any conversions for the 01/Wfd though, other than the GM set. I may have another look around...

I might be able to manually duplicate AltoBreath on the 01/Wfd myself, but Space Wing presents an insurmountable problem because the sample used (White Pad) is not present in the 01/Wfd sample set.

Maybe. Maybe. Thanks for the prod. Smile

Kind regards.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, damn. I forgot that 01W has 6 MB of ROM, similar to X5.

Damn! Well, you could always swap it with X5D, N364 or N5 Very Happy
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 01/W program set on my N364 for years, but when my N364 finally died and i bought an old 01/Wfd, I couldn't believe how much better everything sounded. There are aspects of those programs that get lost from the 01/W to the X-series synth engine, the waveshaping definitely plays a huge part of the sound, as well as the rez filter. Even that god-aweful piano sample sounds better on the 01/W. If you are really in love with those programs, you could just pick up a sound module (05R/W or X5DR) and then you would have them for when you need them.

I'm still hoping Korg produces a synth that can do everything the old synths could - a HD-1/ACCESS/AI-2 engine built into one. I'm pretty sure i'll just have to keep dreaming on that one.
dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the module idea is pretty good, guys. So thanks for that. Gotta do some research on those boxes, I think.

What I've been hoping for is for KORG to release a software version, not just of the X or N series, or even the engine superset that Gargamel314dreams about, but of the 01/Wfd itself. But alas, I think, you're right, my friend - it's probably a dream that KORG just don't seem to have the imagination for...

Which reminds me, I must search the Legacy Collection M1 sample set to see if it contains White Pad. If it does, I'm laughing...

Since we seem to have strayed off the OP's topic here, let me just make it clear for him: I would recommend keeping the 01/Wfd and selling the i3.

Kind regards.
dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Gargamel314, you're absolutely right about the waveshaping and the filter on the 01/Wfd. Some of the i3 conversions just don't have the oomph that the originals have.

I noticed exactly the same thing with the Prophecy conversions for MOSS, which doesn't have the Proph's waveshaper, and so many of the sounds lack that "gimlet-in-the-ear" factor too.

Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: